Rabbi's On This Day: Saturday, 10/19/13
10/19/2013 12:00:00 PM
Saturday, October 19, 2013
- Amy Carter (daughter of former President Jimmy Carter and First Lady Rosalynn Carter) (46)
- Jon Favreau (actor, Couples Retreat, Swingers, Rudy, Made, Daredevil, Cowboys & Aliens director, Iron Man movies and Elf) (47)
- Evander Holyfield (former heavyweight boxing champion) (51)
- Michael Gambon (actor, plays Dumbledore in (the last three movies) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, ...Goblet of Fire, and ...Order of the Phoenix) (73)
- Chris Kattan (actor-comedian, Saturday Night Live, A Night At The Roxbury, Undercover Brother) (43)
- Ty Pennington (host, Extreme Makeover) (49)
- John Lithgow (actor, The World According To Garp, Footloose, 3rd Rock From The Sun, the voice of Lord Farquaad in Shrek, Kinsey, Dexter) (68)
- John Le Carre (author, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, The Russia House) (82)
- Peter Max (pop artist) (76)
- Trey Parker (South Park co-creator) (44)
- Patrick Simmons (singer-guitarist, the Doobie Brothers) (65)
- Omar Gooding (actor) (37)
- Jeannie C. Riley ("Harper Valley P.T.A.") (68)
- George McCrae ("Rock Your Baby") (69)
- Jason Reitman (director, Juno, Thank You For Smoking, Up in the Air, Young Adult) (36)
- Joy Bryant (actress, Parenthood) (37)
ON THIS DAY:
- 1781, British General Charles Lord Cornwallis surrendered to U.S. General George Washington, at Yorktown, Virginia, ending the last major battle of the Revolutionary War.
- 1812, one month after Napoleon Bonaparte's invading French army entered a burning and desertedMoscow, the starving force, with no means to survive the coming Russian winter, began a retreat. Suffering continual attacks, Napoleon's army escaped the country with 10,000 soldiers, having suffered a loss of over 400,000 men during the disastrous invasion.
- 1920 Actress LaWanda Page (Sanford And Son's Aunt Esther) is born. She dies in 2002.
- 1932 Actor Robert Reed (The Brady Bunch's Mike Brady) is born. He dies in1992.
- 1938, actor Buddy Ebsen was hospitalized after getting seriously ill from his Tin Woodsman makeup for The Wizard Of Oz. Jack Haley replaced Ebsen in the part.
- 1944 Marlon Brando makes his acting debut in I Remember Now on Broadway.
- 1944 Reggae star Peter Tosh is born. He dies in 1987.
- 1945 Cross-dressing actor Divine (Pink Flamingos, Polyester, Hairspray) is born Harris Glenn Milstead. He dies in 1988.
- 1960, the U.S. imposed an embargo on all exports headed for Cuba, after a Communist takeover by Fidel Castro.
- 1963 "I Want To Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles is released.
- 1968 "All Along The Watchtower" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, a cover of the Bob Dylan song, peaks at Number 20 on the pop chart.
- on the pop chart.
- 1968 "Fire" by The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown peaks at Number Two on the pop chart.
- 1971 Keyboardist Keith Godchaux joins the Grateful Dead.
- 1973 Pin Ups by David Bowie is released.
- 1974 Not Fragile by Bachman-Turner Overdrive hits Number One on the album chart.
- 1982 "Burning Down One Side" by Robert Plant peaks at Number 64 on the pop chart.
- 1982 Sports car maker John DeLorean is arrested and charged in a $24 million cocaine scheme to save his bankrupt company.
- 1983 The U.S. Senate approves a bill establishing a national holiday in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., making the third Monday in January a federal holiday.
- 1985 "Sunset Grill" by Don Henley peaks at Number 22 on the pop chart.
- 1987, "Black Monday" hits Wall Street, as the stock market crashes. The Dow Jones Industrial Average falls 508 points -- 22.6 percent in value -- in its biggest-ever percentage drop up to that point.
- 1991 "Hole Hearted" by Extreme peaks at Number Four on the pop chart, where it stays for two weeks.
- 1991 "Something To Talk About" by Bonnie Raitt peaks at Number Five on the pop chart.
- 1991 24 Nights by Eric Clapton is released.
- 1991 Decade Of Decadence -- '81-'91 by Motley Crue enters the album chart at its peak position of Number Two.
- 1991 Oasis plays its first proper gig, at the Boardwalk inManchester,England.
- 1993 Pearl Jam celebrates the full release of its second album, Vs., on all formats. The album was available for a week on vinyl only. It sells nearly a million copies in its first week of release, setting a new record.
- 1996 From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah by Nirvana enters the album chart at Number One.
- 1998, former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson got his boxing license back. He'd lost it for biting Evander Holyfield's ear during a bout in 1997.
- 1999 Jimmy Page & the Black Crowes perform the second of two shows at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles that are recorded and released as Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes Live At The Greek.
- 2000 U2 surprises 600 fans gathered for a listening party at Paris's ManRay club by playing songs from the album All That You Can't Leave Behind for the first time.
- 2001, it was announced that a New Jersey postal worker and a New York Post employee had tested positive for skin anthrax.
- 2004 Dave Mason is awarded the first "Doctor Of Rock" honorary degree by the Academy Of Art University inSan Francisco.
- 2004 Megadeth replaces drummer Nick Menza with Shawn Drover in the band's touring lineup, just a few months after Menza officially rejoined the band following a seven-year absence.
- 2004 Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee publishes his Tommyland biography.
- 2004 Pearl Jam vocalist Eddie Vedder and guitarist Mike McCready perform at the Seattle stop on filmmaker Michael Moore's Slacker Uprising tour. Vedder does solo versions of the Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" and Cat Stevens's "Don't Be Shy," before he and McCready do Bob Dylan's "Masters Of War."
- 2004 Stardust... The Great American Songbook: Volume III by Rod Stewart is released.
- 2005 MTV News publishes a story suggesting that Van Halen might appear on the second season of the reality series Rock Star to find a new singer. The story is retracted the next day.
- 2005 U2 frontman Bono has lunch with George W. Bush at the White House to continue talks on AIDS and poverty that began at the previous July's G-8 summit inScotland.
Upcoming MMR Events