Rabbi's On This Day: Sunday, 7/28/13
7/28/2013 12:00:00 PM
Sunday, July 28, 2013
- Elizabeth Berkley (actress, Saved By The Bell, Showgirls, The First Wives Club, Any Given Sunday, Step It Up and Dance, CSI: Miami) (41)
- Bill Bradley (Hall of Fame NBA player and former New Jersey Senator) (70)
- Jim Davis (cartoonist, Garfield) (68)
- Georgia Engel (Georgette from the Mary Tyler Moore show) (65)
- Lori Loughlin (actress, 90210, Summerland, Full House's Becky) (49)
- Sally Struthers (actress, All In The Family's Gloria, Gilmore Girls) (65, disputed 66)
- Alexis Arquette (transgendered actor/actress, born Robert Arquette, sibling of Patricia, David, and Rosanna Arquette) (44)
- Jacoby Shaddix (a.k.a. Coby Dick, lead singer, Papa Roach) (37)
- Stephen Christian (lead singer, Anberlin) (33)
- Hugo Chavez (president ofVenezuela) (59)
ON THIS DAY:
- 1868, the Fourteenth Amendment, guaranteeing due process of law and citizenship to African Americans was declared in effect.
- 1896,Miami,Florida, was incorporated with a population of 260.
- 1907 Tupperware inventor Earl S. Tupper is born. He dies in 1983.
- 1929 Future first lady Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis is born. She dies in 1994.
- 1943 Pink Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright is born. He dies in September 2008.
- 1945, a U.S. Army B-25 bomber crashed into the 79th floor of the fog-shroudedEmpireStateBuilding inNew York City. Fourteen people were killed in the accident
- 1949 Original T. Rex percussionist-bassist Steve Peregrine Took is born. He dies in 1980.
- 1951 The Walt Disney animated movie Alice In Wonderland opens.
- 1954, Hugo Chavez was born today. He dies in 2013.
- 1954, On The Waterfront, starring Marlon Brando, opened.
- 1958 A report is issued stating that listening to rock-and-roll while driving costs money in wasted gas, since the rhythm of the music causes drivers to jiggle the gas pedal.
- 1962 The movie The Miracle Worker, starring Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke, opens.
- 1965, President Lyndon Johnson announced he was increasing the number of American troops inSouth Vietnam from 75,000 to 125,000.
- 1973 "Roll Over Beethoven" by the Electric Light Orchestra, a cover of the Chuck Berry song, peaks at Number 42 on the pop chart.
- 1973 "Shambala" by Three Dog Night peaks at Number Three on the pop chart.
- 1973 "Smoke On The Water" by Deep Purple peaks at Number Four on the pop chart, where it stays for two weeks.
- 1973 Chicago VI by Chicago hits Number One on the album chart, where it spends a total of five weeks.
- 1973 Over 600,000 people attend the then-biggest rock festival in history at the Watkins Glen Raceway in upstate New York to hear the Grateful Dead, the Band, and the Allman Brothers Band.
- 1976 "Detroit Rock City" b/w "Beth" by Kiss is released.
- 1978 National Lampoon's Animal House, starring John Belushi, opens.
- 1978 The movie Hooper, starring Burt Reynolds, Jan-Michael Vincent, Sally Field, Brian Keith, Robert Klein, Adam West, and Terry Bradshaw, opens.
- 1979 The World Series Of Rock concert is held at Cleveland Stadium in Cleveland, featuring Aerosmith, Journey, Ted Nugent, and Thin Lizzy.
- 1982 Actor-comedian Andy Kaufman and professional wrestler Jerry "The King" Lawler have a physical confrontation on Late Night With David Letterman, when Lawler "slaps" Kaufman out of his chair.
- 1986, TV tabloid news show A Current Affair debuted.
- 1991, Dennis Martinez pitched a perfect game as his Montreal Expos beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 2-0.
- 1992 Warner Bros. Records pulls the song "Cop Killer" from all future copies of Body Count's debut album. Frontman Ice-T says he'll give away free copies of the song at his concerts.
- 1994 The last steel beam is put into place at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame And Museum inCleveland.
- 1994, the Texas Rangers' Kenny Rogers pitched a perfect game, beating the California Angels 4-0.Rogers's historic win came three years to the day after baseball's previous perfect game.
- 1995 Al Hendrix wins back the rights to his son Jimi Hendrix's estate after a two-year legal battle.
- 1995 Interscope Records announces that MTV's Standards And Practices committee has decided that the video for the Primus song "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" can only be played after midnight.
- 1998 Monica Lewinsky is granted immunity from prosecution to testify before a grand jury about her relationship with President Bill Clinton.
- 1999 Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder joins the Who's Pete Townshend onstage for several songs, including the Who's "Magic Bus" and Pearl Jam's "Better Man," during a Townshend solo show at New York's Supper Club.
- 2000 Jethro Tull wins the rights to the Internet domain names jethrotull.com and jethro-tull.com from a "cybersquatter" at the World Intellectual Property Organization, but Sting loses his case for sting.com.
- 2000 The movie Nutty Professor II: The Klumps, starring Eddie Murphy, Janet Jackson, Larry Miller, and Wanda Sykes, opens.
- 2001 Original Styx bassist Chuck Panozzo comes out about his homosexuality and his HIV status at the Human Rights Campaign's annual dinner inChicago.
- 2002 Ozzy Osbourne gives his last performance on the 2002 Ozzfest until August 22nd, as he leaves to stay by wife Sharon's side during her chemotherapy.
- 2002, American racer and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong won his fourth straight Tour De France.
- 2002, nine coal miners were rescued after being trapped for three days underground in aPennsylvania mine.
- 2004 Van Halen's The Best Of Both Worlds, a greatest hits collection featuring three new songs with returning frontman Sammy Hagar, debuts at Number Three on the Billboard Top 200 with sales of more than 138,000 copies.
- 2007 Original Guns 'n' Roses drummer Steven Adler, guitarist Izzy Stradlin and bassist Duff McKagan appear at a concert in Los Angeles celebrating the 20th anniversary of the band's debut album, Appetite for Destruction. Singer Axl Rose and guitarist Slash are absent.
- 2007 Rage Against The Machine performs its second show since reuniting at the Coachella festival earlier in the year by co-headlining the first of four dates on the Rock The Bells hip-hop tour inNew York City.
Upcoming MMR Events