Rabbi's On This Day: Sunday, February 24, 2013
2/24/2013 12:00:00 PM
Sunday, February 24, 2013
- Barry Bostwick (actor, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Spin City) (68)
- Senator Joseph Lieberman (D-Connecticut) (ran for vice president with Al Gore in 2000) (71)
- Rupert Holmes (singer, "Escape (The Pina Colada Song") (66)
- Edward James Olmos (actor, Miami Vice, Stand And Deliver, Selena, American Family, Battlestar Galactica) (66)
- Abe Vigoda (actor, The Godfather, Barney Miller, Fish, Look Who's Talking) (92)
- Paula Zahn (former CNN anchor) (57, disputed)
- Billy Zane (actor, Back To The Future I and II, The Phantom, Titanic) (47)
- Sammy Kershaw (country star) (55)
- Dominic Chianese (actor, "Uncle Junior" on The Sopranos) (82)
- Debra Jo Rupp (actress, Friends, That '70s Show) (62)
- Paul Jones (original lead singer, Manfred Mann) (71)
- Steven Hill (actor, The Firm, Law & Order's Adam Schiff) (91)
- Chris Fehn (a.k.a. "#3"; percussionist, Slipknot) (40)
ON THIS DAY:
- 1582, Pope Gregory the 13th issued a papal bull correcting the Julian calendar, which was 10 days off. The new Gregorian calendar, named after the pope, went into effect in most Catholic countries on October 4 of that year.Britain and the American colonies adopted the calendar in 1752,Russia in 1918, andGreece in 1923.
- 1803, in its landmark Marbury v. Madison decision, the U.S. Supreme Court established "judicial review," ruling that it was the final interpreter of constitutional issues.
- 1821,Mexico declared its independence fromSpain.
- 1944, Former Rolling Stones pianist Nicky Hopkins is born. He dies in 1994.
- 1955, Steve Jobs (co-founder, chairman and CEO, Apple; personal computer and technology pioneer) is born. He dies in October 2011 after a long battle with cancer.
- 1964 Cassius Clay beats Sonny Liston to become heavyweight champion of the world.
- 1973, The Byrds break up after a show at The Capitol Theater inPassaic,New Jersey.
- 1974 Kiss appears on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.
- 1976, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 by the Eagles is certified both gold and platinum for sales of two million copies. It's the first album to receive platinum certification from the Recording Industry Association Of America.
- 1980, TheU.S. hockey team beatsFinland 4-2 to win the Olympic gold medal inLake Placid,New York.
- 1981, Buckingham Palace announced the engagement of Britain's Prince Charles to Lady Diana Spencer.
- 1981, Jean Harris was convicted of murdering Scarsdale diet doctor Herman Tarnower.
- 1991U.S. and allied forces invadeIraq andKuwait in the 100-hour ground assault on Iraqi troops, which successfully drives Iraqi forces fromKuwait.
- 1992 Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love are married.
- 1993 At the Grammy Awards, U2 wins Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal for Achtung Baby.
- 1995, American diver Greg Louganis, who won four gold medals in the Olympic games in 1984 and 1988, revealed he had AIDS.
- 1998 Actor-comedian Henny Youngman ("Take my wife. Please!") dies at age 91.
- 1998 Elton John is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II, becoming Sir Elton John in his homeland.
- 1998 Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee is arrested and charged with hitting his then wife, former Baywatch star Pamela Anderson Lee, during an argument in theirMalibu,California, home and is being held in lieu of $1 million bail.
- 1999 Garbage's self-titled debut album is certified double platinum.
- 1999 Metallica wins the Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance for "Better Than You."
- 2005 Static-X guitarist Tripp Eisen is arrested inOrange County,California, for allegedly meeting and sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl the previous month inNew Jersey. The arrest follows a similar incident earlier in February inCalifornia, involving another 14-year-old girl.
- 2006 Actor Don Knotts (The Andy Griffith Show's Barney Fife, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, Three's Company's Mr. Furley) dies at age 81.
- 2006 Korn has a street named after it and begins its first full tour as a four-piece, both in the band's hometown ofBakersfield,California.
- 2008, Fidel Castro, the President of Cuba for almost fifty years, retires.