Legendary Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi has been nominated for a prestigious Pride Of Birmingham Award, according to the Birmingham Mail. The annual Pride Of Birmingham event, celebrating the British city's most courageous and inspiring people, will take place at Town Hall Birmingham on Friday, September 26th. Nominations close at midnight on Thursday (July 31st).
- Slash, a guitar icon in his own right, told the Birmingham Mail, "Everyone you meet in rock circles will tell you that they were inspired by Black Sabbath and the band's influence is immeasurable. Besides which, Tony is a great guy and we've met on a number of occasions. There's just no stopping him. He comes down with lymphoma and what does he do? Reform Sabbath and do a world tour."
- Slash added, "He really is the pride of Birmingham and he deserves a f***ing medal."
- Iommi was diagnosed with lymphoma in January 2012, shortly after Sabbath announced a reunion album and tour.
- He underwent continuing treatments for the disease while recording a new Sabbath album, 13, and touring the world in support of the disc, which came out in June 2013.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Is there any question about it -- Iommi should be honored by his home city, right?
- Is it nice to see Iommi and Sabbath getting the respect they deserve all these years later?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
Jim Cunningham wrote: "Gotta love Slash. He really knows who the real players and founders are. Love ya bro!"
Robert Bright wrote: "I think a medal is cutting it short. Tony Iommi deserves f***ing SAINTHOOD."
Ian Fraser wrote: "Yes he does! In fact, I think we should carve a monument on the moon that is visible from Earth. That's how much we owe this man, Tony Iommi."
Robert V. Riccitelli wrote: "His riffs are legendary. He created an entire genre of music with his guitar playing along with the rest of Sabbath. The band stands as a foundation to so many that it is awe inspiring. Kudos to him and his accomplishments."
Read more at Blabbermouth and Loudwire