Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett will head down to San Diego Comic-Con later this month to perform at the "Fear FestEvil After Party" on July 25th at a downtown venue called F6IX. The event is the result of a partnership between Scion Audio Visual and Hammett's namesake toy company, Kirk Von Hammett (KVH) Toys. Fear FestEvil was the name of Hammett's own horror-themed convention, which held its inaugural edition last February in San Francisco.
Hammett launched KVH Toys in 2011 and published a picture book of his personal and extensive horror memorabilia collection, called Too Much Horror Business, in 2012. He explained to us that he wanted to share his passion with others: "There's a certain part of being a collector, you know, that's based on selfishness. You know, you're buying stuff for yourself. You're collecting stuff for yourself. You know, I've always been aware of this, you know, selfish aspect of collecting, and after a while, it came to a point where I just decided to start being generous. I wanted to share my collection with people who are into this sort of thing."
- Bay Area thrash act Exodus will be the main performers at the July 25th party, with Hammett joining them onstage for a few numbers.
- Hammett was a member of Exodus' original lineup before replacing Dave Mustaine in Metallica in 1983.
- Metallica is currently on the road in Europe on its "Metallica By Request:" tour, with the band playing a set list each night comprised almost solely of fan requests.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Metallica itself played a small theater show at Comic-Con last year and did a panel presentation on its movie, Metallica Through The Never, which came out last September.
- Linkin Park will perform during Comic-Con week as part of MTV's Fan Fest and mtvU Fandom Awards, which will take place on July 24th at San Diego's Petco Park, across the street from the convention center.
- Comic-Con is the annual fan culture gathering celebrating movies, TV shows, comic books, gaming, art, costuming and collectibles that draws upwards of 125,000 fans to downtown San Diego every July.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Kirk Hammett jam with Exodus at his Fear FestEvil last February:
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
Brian Kunkle wrote: "Perhaps this will provide some metallic inspiration for Metallica when they FINALLY record their next album..."
Yggdrasil wrote: "cool to see them doing this, no reason not to."
Louis Franchini wrote: "The show is called 'Kirk gets on stage guitar lessons from Gary Holt.'"
Jorge Sanchez Navarro wrote: "Nah, it's more like 'Kirk is gracious enough to give some much needed exposure to his less fortunate old friends.'"
reports Metallica's Kirk Hammett to perform with Exodus at "Fear FestEvil After Party" in San Diego
posts official performance footage of Metallica
at Pinkpop Festival