The Revolver Golden Gods Awards took place on Wednesday night (April 23rd) at Club Nokia in Los Angeles, where various rock and metal acts were honored for their talents and achievements and both Axl Rose and Joan Jett were given lifetime contribution awards. The show opened with a surprise performance from thrash metal veterans Slayer, while other acts who performed included Jett, Guns N' Roses, The Pretty Reckless, Suicide Silence and A Day To Remember.
- Ex-Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan performed with the band at the event, marking the first time that McKagan has performed with the group on U.S. soil in 20 years.
- He joined Guns onstage in London for the first time in 17 years at an October 2010 concert in London, followed more recently by shows in Vancouver and South America.
- Axl Rose took home this year’s Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award, while Joan Jett became the first female recipient of the Golden God Award.
- VH1 Classic streamed the show live and will also air an edited version on Saturday, May 24th at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT.
- Also appearing at the show were members of Black Sabbath and Linkin Park, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Jacoby Shaddix of Papa Roach, Alice Cooper, Ace Frehley and others.
Golden Gods Awards list of winners:
Best Vocalist: Josh Homme of Queens Of The Stone Age
Best Live Band: Rob Zombie
Most Devoted Fans: Avenged Sevenfold
Best New Talent: Twelve Foot Ninja
Comeback of the Year: Deep Purple
Paul Gray Best Bassist Award: Chris Kael, Five Finger Death Punch
Best Film & DVD: Pierce The Veil
Best Drummer: Arin Ilejay, Avenged Sevenfold
Song of the Year: Five Finger Death Punch, "Lift Me Up"
Most Metal Athlete: Josh Barnett, Mixed Martial Arts
Dimebag Darrell Best Guitarist: Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance, Avenged Sevenfold
Album of the Year: Black Sabbath, 13
Golden God Award: Joan Jett
Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award: Axl Rose
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Did you watch the live stream of this show? Were you aware of its existence?
- Will you watch it on VH1 in a few weeks?
- If you did catch it, or if you were there, what did you think of Guns N' Roses' performance?
INTERNET COMMENTS at VH1.com -- agree or not?
SaveMeMike wrote: "That was terrible. Axl you're joking right? The guitarists are good but no real emotion and feel on any of the solo's. Vocally very bad. I know cover bands around here in Orlando area that cover those song way better. Even if they got all the original guys back, which would be an improvement from what I saw, Axl couldn't perform up to the quality we all deserve."
Shayne wrote: "Axl sounds like s*** but Duff looks great."
Corey Simmons wrote: "Hahaha this is pretty rough. At least QOTSA got an award. Haha there was a lot of good stuff last year better than 5FDP. I mean, come on."
Christopher Gauger wrote: "Glad to see Sabbath won for Best Album and Josh Homme (surprisingly) won for Best Vocalist. The live performances were alright. Joan Jett rocked the house! Everyone else was either decent or meh (GNR being the latter)."
Shana Marie Bentley wrote: "axl rose...are you kidding? i loved him back then, but not now..i think someone else deserves that award!!! he is just a total douchebag!!!"
Read more at Blabbermouth and Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock
Check out a list of winners at Blabbermouth and Loudwire
Check out a recap at Loudwire
Check out a photo gallery at Loudwire
Check out interviews at Blabbermouth
Blabbermouth reports Guns N' Roses could have new music out in next year, says guitarist Richard Fortus Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock and Classic Rock
Check out performance footage of Guns N' Roses with Duff McKagan in Fortaleza, Brazil at Blabbermouth