Tom Petty will be honored tonight (April 23rd) by the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers with the prestigious ASCAP Founders Award. The invite-only gala will be held in Los Angeles at the Loews Hollywood Hotel, and will also salute the songwriters and publishers of ASCAP's most performed pop songs of 2013.
Petty is prepping his latest studio set with the Heartbreakers, called, Hypnotic Eye, which is due out this summer. Petty spoke to The Associated Press and admitted that at age 63, songwriting seems to take a more measured approach these days, explaining, "As life goes by, you get a little more carefree or distracted by other things and you have to really police yourself -- I do -- into sitting down and doing something that pleases me. Plus, I'm trying to do things that I haven't done before and not go over the same ground. It's really hard to explain because I don't really understand it myself. I know that when we have time booked, like when we set aside time to make a record, that's when I usually get pretty -- I guess I get on the job as far as making sure I have enough songs, you know."
- 2005 saw the release of the book, Conversations With Tom Petty, a Q&A compiled by music journalist Paul Zollo. Petty told us that working with Zollo on the project made him to go back finally listen to his own albums: "I rarely, very rarely, listen to my own work. I listen to it on the radio, but I don't really ever get 'em out and play 'em. I had to sit and listen to the work and get it out so I could talk intelligently about it. It really made me kind of happy hearing all the stuff. I felt like we've done a pretty consistent job over the years."
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers will next perform on August 9th, in San Francisco at the Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival at Golden Gate Park.
- In addition to Hypnotic Eye, Tom Petty is prepping an expanded two-disc reissue of his 1994 second solo album, Wildflowers, for Christmas.
- In addition to that, a live set culled from the Heartbreakers' 2013 New York City and L.A. residencies is in the works.
- Out now is Petty's Peculiar Picks: There Best Of 'Tom Petty’s Buried Treasure.' The 30-track CD features a mix of pre-Beatles R&B, pop, and blues, including timeless cuts from Little Richard, Santo & Johnny, Wanda Jackson, The Coasters, Arthur Alexander, Willie Dixon, Solomon Burke, Link Wray, Slim Harpo, T-Bone Walker, Elmore James and Jimmy Reed, among others.
CHECK IT OUT: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers on June 14th, 1977 performing "Anything That's Rock N' Roll" live on Germany's Rockpalast:
Tom Petty On Listening To His Albums