Rolling Stones rock legend singer Mick Jagger’s longtime girlfriend, 49-year-old a world famous and noted fashion designer, L’Wren Scott, was found dead in her luxury her New York City apartment on Monday morning (March 17th), the victim of an apparent suicide, according to police statements given to The New York Post. A spokesman for Jagger, who is currently on tour with the Rolling Stones in Australia, confirmed to E! that the couple was still very much together and that Jagger was, quote, “completely shocked and devastated” by Scott’s death. According to an unnamed source, Scott’s friend, actress Ellen Barkin went to the apartment upon hearing the news and “spent time there with her body.” Jagger immediately flew to New York upon hearing the news. According to The Wrap, the 47-year-old Scott texted her assistant to come to her apartment at 8:30 in the morning. When the assistant arrived at 10:00 a.m., Scott was hanging from a scarf on a door knob. No suicide note was found.
A report by The Post stating that Jagger and Scott had recently split -- inferring that her death was perhaps the result of a break-up -- was countered by the 70-year-old rocker who also issued a statement to deny rumors that he recently tried to end things with her and another Jagger spokesperson -- Victoria Scarfone of Rogers & Cowan, who issued a statement, which read: "The story in the New York Post re a split between Mick Jagger and L'Wren Scott is 100 percent untrue. There is absolutely no basis in fact to this story. It is a horrible and inaccurate piece of gossip during this very tragic time for Mick."
L'Wren Scott, who has been Jagger's companion since 2001, moved into a $10 million London house with him in 2007 -- although they both had other, separate residencies. Most recently, she helped pick out clothes for the Stones' current 14 On Fire Tour.
The Stones were to kick off their six-concert tour of Down Under on Wednesday night (March 19th) in Perth -- which has been canceled, according to Noise 11, who reported that the Stones are reported to have left the Hyatt Perth. Australia’s 3aw.com.au reporting that an announcement will be made today, regarding the band’s upcoming shows in light of the tragedy. The concert organizer announced, "Frontier Touring and Concerts West regret to announce that The Rolling Stones concert in Perth will not be going ahead as scheduled for Wednesday 19 March 2014. No further information is available at this time, ticket holders are asked to hold on to their tickets until a further update is available." Read more on the cancelled show at NME
- L'Wren Scott was born Luann Bambrough and raised in Utah by Mormon parents. As a teen, the six-foot-three model was discovered by famed fashion photographer Bruce Weber and changed her name to model for Chanel and Thierry Mugler before becoming a stylist for celebrities, and then ultimately a designer in her own right. Among the many high profiled clients who wore her designs over the years were Madonna, Angelina Jolie, Michelle Obama, Tom Hanks, Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, Martin Scorsese, Julia Roberts, Sara Jessica Parker, Reese Witherspoon, Christina Hendricks, Amy Adams, Penelope Cruz, and Scott's neighbor Nicole Kidman.
- As the speculation begins as to why Scott allegedly ended her life, most fingers are pointing to her business, which was reported to be heavily in debt and sinking fast, with “business records on file in Great Britain showing that Scott’s London-based business, LS Fashion Ltd., was awash in debt, with an October balance sheet revealing it was $5.9 million in the red for 2012 after recording a $4.2 million deficit for 2011. The balance sheet lists more than $1.7 million owed creditors within one year, and a whopping $7.6 million falling due after that.”
- A “fashion source” was quoted as saying: “I knew something was wrong when L’Wren canceled her London Fashion Week show. That would have been so important to her. She was very prolific on Instagram and recently had gone quiet and hadn’t been posting so much.”
- Scott began her career as a model before establishing herself as a stylist in the '90s.
- She launched her first fashion line in 2006, and her designs have been worn by Madonna, Michelle Obama, Reese Witherspoon, Christina Hendricks, Amy Adams, Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman and Angelina Jolie.
CHECK IT OUT: L'Wren Scott in 2013 making her London fashion debut:
Read more at Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock, Classic Rock, Diffuser, Rolling Stone, Billboard and NME