Richie Sambora took time out from his Australian tour to slam Jon Bon Jovi for continuing Bon Jovi's world tour without him. Sambora shocked the rock world after walking off the tour after the band's first 21 shows. Although Sambora's substance abuse problems forced him off the road during the band's 2011 tour -- according to insiders -- this time it was due to deep seated issues with frontman, Jon Bon Jovi.
Sambora was a no-show starting on April 2nd, 2013 at Calgary's Scotiabank Saddledome. As they did during Sambora's 2011 hiatus, the band soldiered on, touring the globe selling out stadiums with session guitarist Phil Xenidis once again filling in for Sambora.
- Sambora mocked the authenticity of a Bon Jovi concert without his participation, telling The Melbourne Herald Sun, "At the end of the day, if you’re going to buy a can of Coke, you want the real thing. Jon just has a different mentality. I know Mick Jagger wouldn’t tour without Keith Richards and call it the Rolling Stones. . . For the longest time, even now, I’m considered Jon Bon Jovi’s side arm, or something. Hey, I built this band, too."
- Although there has been speculation about the "true" reason for Sambora's absence, he's always claimed it was done to spend more time with his 16-year-old daughter Ava from his previous marriage to actress Heather Locklear. Sambora explained, "It was an unpopular decision with the fans and the band, but sometimes a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do for his family. It certainly didn’t come down to money. It’s something I needed to do for my family and myself."
- When pressed about a possible reunion with Bon Jovi, Sambora said, "I’m not saying this band will not get back together at some point, or not. There will have to be a lot of communication, a lot of talking.”
- When we last caught up with Jon Bon Jovi we asked him if there was any change in the situation that's split Sambora and Bon Jovi: "Same thing I've said since day one: personal issue. It's. . . we miss 'im. . . um. . . love 'im, and he's welcome back when he's ready. And that's all I can tell you. There's not a definitive date. He's going through some stuff. It's difficult for me too, but that's the story."
- Richie Sambora performs tonight (February 28th) in Melbourne, Australia.
INTERNET OPINIONS via Ultimate Classic Rock -- agree or not???
Abby Lochert wrote: "Clearly Bon Jovi doesn't need Richie. Fans don't need Richie. Richie is the only hostile one because it was proven. The joke is on Richie. ha ha"
Live Music Fans wrote: "You can't walk away and then get mad that the rest of the band wants to continue. And don't even get me started about the comparison to the Stones, Keith Richards has a very distinct guitar style, anyone can emulate Richie's hairband sound."
Destiny Dark wrote: "I don't drink coke, Bon jovi IS the real thing without you Richie!"
Brian de Castro wrote: "I, along with other friends, stopped going to see the Allman Brothers when they kicked Dickey Betts out of the band. It just wouldn't be the same, minus a "Brother." While Richie didn't sing lead on any of Bon Jovi's biggest songs like Dickey did with the Allmans, he did co-write, sing a strong back-up and play the signature guitar on them, so it too wouldn't be the same seeing the band without him. It's up to the fans who to be loyal too, who's still in the band or who's not."
Cathi InFlorida wrote: "Richie fails to mention that he just did not show up on the day of a concert and did not even notify the band until 3 pm that day.. Who does that?!?! He made a commitment to tour, if he had issues with leaving his family he could have stepped away BEFORE the tour..not midstream. I usually side with Richie, but he made his bed and will have to lie in it."
Paul Broderick wrote: "It's a double edged sword.........People want to see the original band but will still pay to see a band called Bon Jovi, STYX, Journey, The Who, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd.........with or without the original members.."
CHECK IT OUT: Richie Sambora on February 23rd, 2014 performing INXS's "Don't Change" live in Sydney:
Jon Bon Jovi On Ritchie Sambora Update
Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock and Classic Rock