It was just last week that Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith threw down the gauntlet to his celebrity impersonator, actor Will Ferrell, challenging the Lego Movie star to a drum battle to assess who had the better skills behind the kit. Now Ferrell has accepted Smith's challenge, according to Rolling Stone, writing during Smith's recent Reddit "AMA" session, "Hi, Chad. Will Ferrell here. I saw your video and I graciously accept your invitation to a drum battle."
Ferrell added, "If we can raise $300,000 for Cancer for College I will face off with you in the greatest drum vs. cowbell showdown the world has ever seen. We can do it on stage at a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert or in front of a mutually convenient public library. Your call. Also, would you rather fight a hundred duck sized ducks or one horse sized horse?"
- Ferrell was apparently responding to a comment that Smith made earlier in the AMA, when he suggested that the actor wouldn't go for the drum battle.
- Smith wrote, "Mr. Ferrell is a delusional imposter. It seems to me that he has gone off his meds and he needs to seek professional help because I am obviously more talented and handsome than he is . . . Tell Will Ferrell anytime, anyplace, I'll take him down. I don't want to embarrass him, but I'd say don't bring your family. Especially children."
- The resemblance between Smith and Ferrell has been noted for years, but came back to the forefront last week after Ferrell acknowledged it in his own Reddit session, saying, "The truth of the matter is there is no Will Ferrell. Only Chad Smith.”
- Smith then issued his challenge to Ferrell in an Instagram video, saying, "Stop impersonating me. Drum battle, me and you. I’ve seen your skills, you don’t got ‘em."
- Smith told Rolling Stone a while back that he's been mistaken numerous times for the actor and recalled the first time they actually met, at a movie premiere. Smith said, "He looks me up and down and says, 'You're very handsome,' and walks away. Totally deadpan. I was like, 'You're funny. You're funny.'"
CHECK IT OUT: Chad Smith posted a photo of himself on Twitter sharpening up his cowbell skills for the big battle:
That imposter strikes again on cowbell with @dannyseraphine last night. Arrrgggh!!!
Chad also posted a photo of Ferrell playing cowbell from his classic Saturday Night Live skit:
JUST OUR OPINION: This is getting funnier all the time, and it's cool to see these two guys making a huge prank out of something that people have been saying about them for years. Good for them to make it a charity thing as well. Now we just have to get some popcorn and wait for them to set the date and place for their epic confrontation.
INTERNET COMMENTS at Rolling Stone -- agree or not?
redhand126 wrote: "a kit made of cowbells!"
Miguel DeLeon wrote: "I hope someone films the competition -- it'd be unbelieveable."
Jay Alan Goodwin wrote: "I love Will Ferrell. I wish the world was more populated with silly bastards like him; Earth would be a far more enjoyable place to live."
Jackie wrote: "I want to see this. I love Will Farrell, love Chad, love Red Hot Chili Peppers."
Klorg Lork wrote: "There is only Chad Smith. 'Will' cleared that up last week."
Read more at Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock, Diffuser, Rolling Stone and NME
NME reports Red Hot Chili Peppers' bassist Flea: "Damon Albarn of Blur is a beautiful musician"