With Foo Fighters' eighth studio album now underway, there's been plenty of speculation about how the disc is being created ever since frontman Dave Grohl hinted that it was happening in a way that "no one's ever done before." According to Loudwire, the latest rumor is that each song is being recorded in a different famous recording studio. The source of the rumor, a Twitter account named FooArchive, has posted an item from Billboard suggesting that Grohl has scouted iconic studios in 12 different cities.
It seems likely that wherever they go, the band will record in analog instead of digital, since Grohl told us that he prefers the former: "Definitely recording with analog 24-track equipment, you get a lot more personality and imperfection. Digital recording, you have the option to make things perfect and you can manipulate them and sometimes you just suck the human element out of it. But with tape, once you hit 'record,' it really is what it is."
- At least four studios in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and Seattle are tagged as "definite" place where the band will set up shop, with the band members all recently spotted in the Windy City.
- It's not uncommon for a musical act to record in one or two different locales while making a project, but the concept of recording in 12 different studios is something that may not have ever been attempted before.
- Wasting Light, the band's last record, was recorded in Grohl's Los Angeles garage. He has also recorded in his basement studio at his home in Virginia.
- His Los Angeles studio now houses the legendary Neve recording console that was formerly located at Sound City, the now-defunct Los Angeles studio that was the subject of Grohl's 2013 documentary of the same name.
- The new Foo Fighters album is due out later this year, possibly by the summer.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- What do you think of the possibility of the Foos recording each song in a different studio?
- Do you think that this will come across in a way that's audible to the average listener?
- Does the idea of moving around to a dozen different studios sound like a great adventure or a massive headache?
CHECK IT OUT: Here's the tweet from FooArchive that includes the Billboard rumor:
Here's the scan from Billboard suggesting @foofighters LP8 will be recorded in studios in 12 different cities.
Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl On Recording In Analog Instead Of Digital
Read more at Loudwire and NME