Shinedown frontman Brent Smith and guitarist Zach Myers will release a new digital EP called (Acoustic Sessions) next Tuesday (January 28th), consisting of six cover songs all selected by the group's fans. But why isn't the set going out under the Shinedown name? Smith explained it to us: "The label wanted to do that, and we were like, 'Okay.' 'Cause the label was like, 'Yes, you're in Shinedown, but it's not really Shinedown because -- I mean, it's all an extension of Shinedown because Zach's the guitar player in Shinedown and I'm the singer in Shinedown. But, you know, it was just me and Zach, so I think the label kind of wanted to do maybe a little bit different branding on this particular acoustic cover EP that was coming out, 'cause it is a little different."
- The EP will be released through iTunes and all leading digital retailers.
- It will include covers of the Clash's "London Calling," Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters," Otis Redding's "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay," the Black Crowes' "She Talks to Angels," Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train" and Kenny Wayne Shepherd's "Blue on Black" featuring Shepherd himself.
- A video for "London Calling" has already been filmed and posted at Billboard.
- Videos of all six performances were filmed, along with four more of songs by Bon Jovi, Pearl Jam, Phil Collins and Adele. The artists, however, did not give permission for the latter four videos to be posted online, but the songs themselves will likely be re-recorded and released later this year.
- Shinedown is also getting ready to enter the studio and begin recording its fifth album, the follow-up to 2012's Amaryllis.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Smith & Myers perform the Clash's "London Calling":
Shinedown's Brent Smith On Recording EP Under Different Name
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Classic Rock and Billboard
Check out an interview at Blabbermouth
Check out videos at Blabbermouth
Check out a performance of Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" at Blabbermouth
Read more here