Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer frontman Maynard James Keenan has mapped out his own 24-hour film festival in an interview with The A.V. Club, saying it would include at least one cult classic, some weird arthouse fare and adding that it would have to include something starring Denzel Washington.
About his fixation with Washington, Keenan said, "I guess I’m a product of American living. Germans love David Hasselhoff and I just love Denzel Washington. I can’t explain it. It’s that guilty pleasure. It’s almost like when you’re a kid and you have your blanket. He’s my comfort blanket.”
- Keenan cited the 1986 David Lynch classic Blue Velvet as a must for his festival, saying, "Blue Velvet was a game changer for me. It brought out some of the darker sides of my friends. They were more into Porky’s and Fast Times At Ridgemont High, and then, all of a sudden, they discovered Blue Velvet and it really flipped a switch.”
- The singer also cited two indie titles, 1997's Gummo and 2004's Napoleon Dynamite, explaining, "One is in Ohio and the other is in Idaho, but to me, having grown up in Ohio, there’s one side of the tracks where Gummo is happening and on the other side of the tracks, Napoleon Dynamite is happening.”
- Other films on Keenan's make-believe festival schedule include Happiness, Videodrome, Repo Man and the Vin Diesel sci-fi bomb The Chronicles Of Riddick, about which he says, "It’s sci-fi but you have this one-liner dude that’s just awful. It’s so great."
- As for his own acting, Keenan has appeared in a few indie films and as a dog walker in Crank 2: High Voltage, but has no plans to delve further into that profession. He explained, "I have no experience or natural acting ability, so I would have to stop everything I’m doing to justify being in a film. I’d have to really work at it.”
- Keenan has hinted in recent months that new music from Tool is finally coming out in 2014.
CHECK IT OUT: See the entire Keenan interview at http://avc.lu/JxsQUt
SIDE NOTES: Keenan had a role in a movie called Queens Of Country, about which he says, "I hope it never sees the light of day. All the actors in that film are fantastic, but I was dreadful and embarrassing and I can’t even watch it. I won’t be taking any calls for those kinds of films anymore." Check out the trailer:
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Have you ever attended a film festival?
- Would you attend one curated by Maynard James Keenan?
- Are there any other rockers who you would like to see put together a program for a film marathon or festival?
INTERNET COMMENTS at The A.V. Club -- agree or not?
Obnoxious Little Frog wrote: "Another key difference between Gummo and Napoleon Dynamite: Gummo has a bitchin' soundtrack; Napoleon doesn't."
Stimpson J. Simpson wrote: "I could never figure out whether Tool take themselves as seriously as their fans do. I don't know whether I resent or respect them for it."
nowimnothing wrote: "I think they are one of those bands that was a victim of their own success. An experimental prog metal band that ended up in stadiums with frat boys breaking each other's noses in the mosh pit. I would love another album, but I am glad they pulled back and redirected into other projects."
drinkingclub wrote: "Never knew he was from Ohio, but being from Ohio, and about an hour away from Akron, I can attest to his Napoleon Dynamite / Gummo theory."
Read more at Blabbermouth and Loudwire