Ozzy Osbourne has opened up in a new interview with the U.K.'s NME about his relapse into drug and alcohol abuse last year as well as his temporary separation from wife and manager Sharon Osbourne. Ozzy revealed last April that he had been abusing drugs and alcohol for 18 months, which led Sharon to move out of their home until he took steps to get sober again. He eventually did and the couple reconciled.
The Black Sabbath frontman revealed that when Sharon found out he was using drugs again, "She was very pissed off. I thought I was gonna lose my family at one point . . . she just said, 'Look, I've got my own thing going on, and I can't deal with you any more. Get the f*** out. Sort yourself out, then we'll talk.' I don't blame her in the slightest."
- Asked what triggered his relapse, Ozzy said, "For no reason at all, you'll suddenly think, 'I fancy a drink,' and your head will say, 'Let yourself have one.' Next thing you know you're scraping yourself off the garage floor three days later . . . it's a disease of the mind and body, and you can't control it."
- Ozzy was using drugs and alcohol during the recording sessions for Black Sabbath's reunion album, 13, although bandmates Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler revealed a few days ago that they were shocked at the time to find out from Sharon that Ozzy had fallen off the wagon.
- 13 was the first Sabbath album since 1978 to feature Ozzy, Iommi and Butler recording together. The album came out in June and went Number One in several countries, including the U.S. where it became the group's first-ever chart-topper.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Do you think Ozzy's bandmates really didn't know he had fallen off the wagon?
- Do you agree with Ozzy that Sharon was right to leave him after she found out he had relapsed?
- Do you think Ozzy will be able to stay sober or will he fall off the wagon again?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
Seth Lipocky wrote: "Ozzy please hang in there and take care of yourself. The metal world has had it tough the past few years."
Zed Templeman wrote: "Ozzy is better when he's on the sauce. Don't act like any of you actually give a f*** about the guy, with all the 'take care of yourself, your health comes first' nonsense. We want good material. If he has to crawl back in the bottle to do it, he's got my vote."
Dalton Mason wrote: "Its no wonder that they didnt know he was drinking - he slurs when hes sober."
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Classic Rock and NME
NME reports Ozzy Osbourne's Black Sabbath bandmates unaware of drug and alcohol relapse
Ultimate Classic Rock reports Ozzy Osbourne calls all politicians liars
Blabbermouth posts performance footage of Black Sabbath in Belfast, Northern Ireland and Birmingham, England
Blabbermouth posts video of the BBC report of Black Sabbath returning to Birmingham for two sold-out shows