Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl dropped a few more hints about the band's upcoming eighth studio album when Rolling Stone spoke with him on Sunday night (November 24th) at the American Music Awards. Grohl said, "It’s badass. We’re doing something that nobody knows about, it’s f***ing rad. We begin recording soon, but we’re doing it in a way that no one’s done before and we’re writing the album in a way that I don’t think has been done before."
Grohl told us a while back that it's important to him that the band keep changing things on each new record: "The best thing about being in a band and making music is doing as many things as possible and exploring as many different musical regions as you can get your hands into. And it's important for every artist to explore that or just take a stab at it. Records should be things that are important to the artists as well as the people."
- The new disc will follow up 2011's Wasting Light, which was recorded in a studio constructed in Grohl's garage.
- Grohl also just produced the next album from country star Zac Brown and was asked how that came out. He replied, "Amazing. The funny thing is that I met Zac Brown at a clothing store before the last Grammys and we swapped numbers. A couple of weeks later he asked me if I would produce the next record. I'd never heard him before and I said, 'Yes.' Then a couple of weeks later he said, 'Will you play with me on the Country Music Awards?' And I'd still never heard him and I said, 'Yes.' So the first time I ever heard Zac was when I hit 'record' in Nashville and said, 'Okay, we’re rolling.' I'd never heard one note of his music."
- Foo Fighters will play their first official shows since September 2012 on December 11th and 13th at the 55,000-capacity Foro Sol stadium in Mexico City, marking the band's live debut in that country.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- What do you think the Foo Fighters are doing on this new album that is so 'f***ing rad,' as Dave put it?
- What kind of sound or technique would you like to hear on the band's next project?
- Should more musical acts experiment and try new things?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Rolling Stone -- agree or not?
Lingo wrote: "My prediction for the 'we’re doing it in a way that no one’s done before' method: they're gonna record the entire thing in one live take."
Rob wrote: "Foo Fighters, while being a solid rock band for a lot of years now, has never broken ANY new ground. I can't believe they're starting now."
slyn wrote: "all the talk about them recording this album makes me want to know what it is. i mean what could it be in 2013 that hasn't been done already in some variation? record it on mars?"
shahnyboy wrote: "Does this mean it's going to suck more..or less? Dave grohl is a likable enough but his music? Not so much."
Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl On Musical Progression
Read more at Loudwire, Rolling Stone and NME
Rolling Stone reports Zac Brown Band and Dave Grohl to release songs in December Read more at Billboard