They take their soccer very seriously in Brazil: Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith has been the victim of verbal and physical taunts, as well as death threats, after an incident in which he "desecrated" the jersey of the most popular club team in the country, if not all of South America. According to TMZ, Smith was at a drum clinic in the city of Belo Horizonte on Sunday (November 3rd) when he was handed a jersey from the Flamengo soccer club -- which he then shoved down the back of his pants and pretended to wipe himself with.
- The crowd immediately began booing and one fan even threw something at Smith's head.
- The incident was caught on video and has made its way onto the Web, with fans on the Chili Peppers' current South American tour making even more vicious comments online.
- Ahead of the Chili Peppers' show in Rio on Saturday (November 9th), people were posting threats online like: "Will arrive in Rio de Janeiro you will die motherf***er," and "the fans of Flamengo wants to kill you, are already planning to invade his show to throw rocks at you."
- Smith apologized for the incident via Twitter on Friday (November 8th), writing, "I want to apologize for my inappropriate antics at the drum clinic, my joke about team rivalries went too far. Flamenco [sic] fans...I'm sorry."
- The Chili Peppers are slated to return to South America next spring as part of the 2014 Lollapalooza lineup in several countries, where hopefully no one will offer Smith a soccer jersey.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch the incident with Smith and the jersey:
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- We appreciate fan loyalty as much as anyone, but isn't making death threats against the poor guy a little too much?
- Even so, were Chad's actions with the jersey silly and inappropriate? Should he have thought before doing that, knowing how much Brazilians revere their soccer?
- Have you ever gotten into an altercation with someone over sports?
INTERNET COMMENTS at TMZ and Loudwire -- agree or not?
Derrick wrote: "The way Brazilians love soccer and he does that!!! He needs to get on a plane immediately."
Miara wrote: "Over a soccer team??? WTF??? Aren't death threats illegal in South America?"
cathy J wrote: "if I am not mistaken, Players in South America who have lost a match, have been killed. They take this very seriously."
TMS wrote: "It's soccer for God's sake, who gives a ****..."
Michael Nehlsen wrote; "Real question is why the f*** do that anyway? It was obviously given to him as a gift and he just basically s*** on it. I'd be pissed as well. Not death threat pissed, but that was a classless act by Smith."
Benjamin Simon wrote: "The fact that this is a big deal is absolutely pathetic."
Read more at Loudwire and Ultimate Classic Rock
Loudwire reports Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith apologizes for soccer joke in Brazil Read more at NME