Metallica is contracted to host the band's Orion Music + More festival for two more years in Detroit, according to MLive.com. Detroit City Council member James Tate said, "It's contracted, and I think since it was a event so well-suited for the venue -- for the type of event it was -- it was perfect."
The band itself has not said whether it will return to the Motor City. Drummer Lars Ulrich said earlier this year in a radio interview, "Detroit was a great experience. We'd love to bring this thing back to Detroit. We've gotta sit down and look at the practical parts of it . . . It's not an easy thing to launch a festival, but we've had a lot of fun the last two years doing it, and we hope to bring it back to Detroit."
- Frontman James Hetfield told us that it difficult to predict if Orion could be an ongoing annual event: "You never know with adventures like this. But we also know, and history tells us, that you're not gonna break even for a few years. So that's the goal. Our goal is to make a cool event, get some cutting edge bands in front of a lot of people and break even with it. That would be great."
- Last June's Orion event at Belle Isle in Detroit drew at least 40,000 people over the course of two days to see Metallica, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Deftones, Silversun Pickups, Rise Against and more.
- The band moved the event to Detroit after holding the inaugural edition in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 2012.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Should Metallica keep doing the Orion festival?
- Should they keep it in Detroit or move it to different locations?
- Is the lineup too diverse?
- If it was held in your area, would you go? How far would you drive or travel for it?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
Claire Music-Obscure wrote: "Bunch sell out commercial bands. Metallica get back to your roots. THRASH metal.. bring out the best of the LA/San Francisco Local scene."
Ian Eagling wrote: "Awesome. Had a blast at this year's fest and can't wait to see what bands play next year's and the year after."
Jason Baron wrote: "That's great but I live here in Detroit and I didn't go this year and aint goin the next two years..$250 for Met and the Peppers and a slew of s***ty bands most people don't care about..no thanks."
Strik Nyne wrote: "Metallica need to bring that METAL element to this festival. I know they hate flying the banner for metal, but they don't have to re-enforce it with these s*** lineups."
Metallica's James Hetfield On Goals For 'Orion' Festival
Read more at Blabbermouth
Blabbermouth reports Metallica's Kirk Hammett says his horror convention will be "A Great Experience"
Blabbermouth reports Metallica to release "Through The Never" soundtrack vinyl for Record Store Day's "Black Friday"