Metallica frontman James Hetfield has acknowledged in a new interview with the Detroit News that the band will probably not begin working in earnest on a new album until next spring. The singer/guitarist explained, "We want to make a record, that's what we do best and that's what we've gotta do in springtime. We've got skeleton bones that we're starting to lay out to make something out of it, but there's a lot of work ahead of us that we're really excited about doing. And that will be next year."
- Metallica released its last set of all-new material, Death Magnetic, in September 2008. A recording start next spring means it's very likely that the band's 10th studio effort won't arrive until sometime in early 2015.
- Metallica has been touring for the past couple of years, in addition to launching two editions of its Orion Music + More festival and filming its new 3D IMAX movie, Metallica Through The Never, which opened on September 27th.
- Meanwhile, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich told a San Francisco radio station two weeks ago that the band has something coming up in December that will surprise fans, calling it "another frontier . . . which we're very excited about."
- Both Ulrich and Hetfield have said that plans for a third installment of its Orion Music + More festival in Detroit next year remain up in the air.
- Last June's Orion event drew at least 40,000 people over the course of two days to see Metallica, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Deftones, Silversun Pickups, Rise Against and more.
- Metallica Through The Never opened on 308 IMAX screens the last weekend in September and earned $1.7 million, making it the biggest IMAX opening for a concert film ever. The movie expanded to more theaters this past weekend.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch a one-hour collection of footage of the members of Metallica attending screenings of their movie around the country:
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
Todd Rumsey wrote: "saw the movie, very good, very tight, as for new music, you guys do what ya gotta do...even though at least i'm a bit anxious for new s***...you guys will always kickass!!!"
Tom Whiting wrote: "So, even THEY don't count 'Lulu'?"
John Smith wrote: "So hurry the hell up and make it already! Enough with the excuses."
Alex Settle wrote: "For everyone telling them to hurry up, guess what, you're gonna be saying that for another 18 f***ing months. It's gonna be a long ass time before they put anything out because they are slow as f***. I'm looking forward to hearing the follow up to Death Magnetic, but let's face it, we could all be dead before they finish it!"
Read more at Blabbermouth and Loudwire
Blabbermouth posts new clip from Metallica's "Through The Never" movie
Check out an interview with Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich on "Through The Never" and the band at Blabbermouth
Check out a Q&A with Lars Ulrich at Blabbermouth Check out another interview at Blabbermouth
Blabbermouth posts video of Metallica on te rad pomoting "Through The Never" movie