System Of A Down drummer John Dolmayan has revealed on his Twitter page that he has "started working" on an album of cover songs, adding that it "should be good practice for the eventual System Of A Down album sometime in the future." Dolmayan did not give any further details of what songs he planned to cover, when the record would likely surface, or if System had any plans to record anytime soon.
It was Dolmayan who shouted at the end of System's sole North American concert of 2013, at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles last July, "Next time we come back here, we'll have a new f***ing album!" But singer Serj Tankian said in a Reddit interview the next day, "We have to make a record when we think it's time, not anyone else."
- Dolmayan played with System guitarist Daron Malakian in Scars On Broadway for a while and also launched an online comic book store called Torpedo Comics, although the company website currently says that the store is "temporarily" closed for "massive re-organization."
- Dolmayan told us he doesn't worry about anything except doing what makes him happy: "I think as long as I'm doing things that make me happy emotionally, then as far as the money aspect, it'll come or it won't, doesn't matter. Because ultimately, man, money doesn't determine happiness, but it is a nice conduit to happiness. If you're a happy person in general, money can make your life better. But if you're a miserable person in general, no matter how much money you have you will not be a happy person."
- System has not released a new studio album since Hypnotize in late 2005, with the band breaking its self-imposed hiatus in the last couple of years only for some lucrative European and North American tour opportunities.
- Bassist Shavo Odadjian posted remarks on Facebook earlier this year that explicitly blamed Tankian for delaying a new System record. The band later disavowed Odadjian's comments.
- Tankian has been the busiest of all four members since the band went on indefinite hiatus, releasing five solo studio albums and one live set. He is currently doing a series of solo orchestral tour dates in Europe.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Do you think a covers album from System Of A Down's drummer will be something worthwhile to hear?
- Are covers album in general cool to listen to? Why or why not?
- Does Dolmayan want System to regroup and record again now that his comic book business has run into trouble?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
Edwin Giuliano wrote: "he is one of the greatest drummers in modern metal, even not recording too much..."
Feliu Niz wrote: "this will be great. His drumwork in covers like Snowblind is stellar."
Jeffrey Lieberman wrote: "Oh no...As soon as you start doing covers, you start to lose respect."
Kelly Heinen wrote: "Why? Some of the greatest bands in history have done covers...and not a single one lost any respect. Perhaps YOU lose respect for them (which is your opinion, if a bit silly), but don't say that in the collective sense. You don't speak for all music lovers."
System Of A Down's John Dolmayan On What Makes Him Happy
Read more at Blabbermouth