The Brian Wilson - Jeff Beck tour kicked off to a rapturous response on Friday night (September 27th) at Hollywood, Florida's Hard Rock Live. Joining Wilson as part of his touring band was Beach Boys co-founders Al Jardine and David Marks -- with '70s bandmembers, Blondie Chaplin -- who was part of the Rolling Stones' touring band for 15 years -- joining the musicians onstage to sing his Brian Wilson-written signature tune "Sail On Sailor."
Wilson's set, which including him trading off lead vocals with Jardine, included such Beach Boys classics as "Do It Again," "California Girls," "Little Deuce Coupe," "Heroes And Villains," "Help Me, Rhonda," "Summertime Blues" -- with Marks on lead vocals and guitar workout, "I Get Around," "God Only Knows," "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Sloop John B.," and "Good Vibrations," among other hits. Beck's set featured performances of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing," Muddy Waters' "Rollin' and Tumblin'," and the Beatles' "A Day In The Life."
- Wilson and his band joined Beck for show-stopping guitar-led instrumental readings of such Beach Boys Pet Sounds and Smile tracks as "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)," "Our Prayer," and "Surf's Up," during Beck's 16-song mid show set. Blondie Chaplin joined both band's for encore performances of "Surfin' U.S.A." and "Fun, Fun, Fun."
- Blondie Chaplin is thrilled to be stepping into the Beach Boys world for the first time since quitting the band after their December 19th,1973 Madison Square Garden performance: "I'm doing 'Sail On Sailor,' then I come out for 'Fun, Fun, Fun' and 'Surfin' U.S.A.' and that should be a (laughs) funny feeling after 40 years. Y'know, I'm just happy Brian wants to guest me and it's nice that they're showing some faith in using me as a guest. It feels pretty good, so, we'll see what happens."
- Al Jardine told us that he always relished his role in the Beach Boys -- and similarly in Brian Wilson's touring band as a dependable team player: "I just pretty much laid low. I didn't have that ego. . . (the) need to satisfy that part of my ego. We had plenty of lead singers. And I think you matriculate toward that as time goes on. You have to be patient and when the right moment comes, you hopefully have the right stuff to be up front."
Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck -- with Al Jardine and David Marks -- tour dates (subject to change):
October 1 - Houston, TX - Bayou Music Center
October 3 - Saint Augustine, FL - St. Augustine Amphitheatre
October 4 - Atlanta, GA - Chastain Park Amphitheatre
October 5 - Washington, DC - Warner Theatre
October 6 - Bethlehem, PA - Sands Bethlehem Event Center
October 8 - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre
October 9 - Boston, MA - Wang Theatre - Citi Performing Arts Center
October 11 - Wallingford, CT - Toyota Presents The Oakdale Theatre
October 12 - Westbury, NY - NYCB Theatre At Westbury
October 13 - Upper Darby, PA - Tower Theatre
October 15 - New York, NY - Beacon Theatre (with Blondie Chaplin)
October 16 - Montclair, NJ - The Wellmont Theater
October 18 - Las Vegas, NV - Pearl Concert Theater (with Blondie Chaplin)
October 20 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theatre (with Blondie Chaplin)
October 22 - Oakland, CA - Paramount Theatre (with Blondie Chaplin)
October 25 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre
October 26 - Toronto, ON - Sony Centre For The Performing Arts
October 27 - Akron, OH - E.J. Thomas Hall
October 30 - Milwaukee, WI - Riverside Theatre
- Brian Wilson is currently working on his first original solo studio album since 2009. The collection, which is once again being co-produced by Joe Thomas -- who collaborated with Wilson on the Beach Boys' 2012 Top Three album, That's Why God Made The Radio -- also features contributions from Jeff Beck, Al Jardine, David Marks, and Blondie Chaplin.
- Newly released is the Beach Boys' latest box set, called Made In California. The career-spanning collection features over 60 previously unreleased songs, home demos, alternate mixes, and live recordings, and is presented in a "yearbook-inspired" hardbound book.
- The project was compiled and produced by the group's archival team, producers Mark Linett and Alan Boyd, with the help of label exec Dennis Wolfe -- all three of which shared the Smile Sessions Grammy win with Brian Wilson earlier this year.
CHECK IT OUT: The Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck bands joining forces on September 27th, 2013 in Hollywood, Florida for The Beach Boys' "Our Prayer" and "Surf's Up":
Al Jardine On Staying In The Backround Of The Beach Boys
Blondie Chaplin On Brian Wilson Tour Cameo