Avenged Sevenfold singer M. Shadows told a Canadian radio station that he isn't bothered by recent comments from Machine Head frontman Robb Flynn, in which Flynn called the band's new Hail To The King CD a "covers album." Flynn specifically called the band out for songs like "This Means War," which bears a strong resemblance to Metallica's "Sad But True," along with others.
Shadows told the Ottawa station, "I have met Robb on numerous occasions and he's always been cool to me. And I just read it as a joke . . . I really don't know what to say about it other than I agree with him on the 'Sad But True' thing -- that was obviously an inspiration for that song. Everything else, I kind of think he . . . If it is a joke, it was kind of overboard, 'cause it doesn't make sense in my mind."
- Shadows added, "Some people might see it as being as an underhanded . . . joke. But, to me, if he just wants to go in there and write whatever he wants, I think that's totally cool. Everyone has an opinion and everyone should be entitled to say whatever they want. So it's no skin off our backs."
- Flynn didn't pull any punches in his critique, writing, "Congratulations to Avenged Sevenfold on their latest 'covers album' coming in at #1, who knew that re-recording Metallica, Guns N Roses, and Megadeth songs could be such a worldwide hit!!?? Ba-dap Psssssss!!"
- Asked if the bands Flynn mentioned were influences, Shadows replied, "I think all the bands he said we were very inspired by. I think also (Black) Sabbath, (Led) Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones."
- Hail To The King sold 159,000 copies in its first week of release, giving the California band their second straight chart-topper after 2010's Nightmare.
- Next up for Avenged Sevenfold is its first major tour in support of the new CD, which starts October 3rd in Chicago.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Do you think Shadows handled this well?
- Do you think Robb Flynn was really joking?
- Should the whole thing end here or will this turn into something bigger?
- Do you think Avenged Sevenfold is just a "covers band"?
CHECK IT OUT: Listen to "This Means War" -- does this sound like Metallica's "Sad But True"?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
Stathis Stathopoulos wrote: "These guys are a class act, yet people keep giving them s***."
Liam O'rly wrote: "rob flynn = bandwagon jumper extraodinaire. Not even a matter of debate, all you have to do is watch MH's music videos in order."
Andrew Murray wrote: "I'm a A7X fan, but Robb Flynn is 100% right. I just can't take this album seriously. It's blatant plagiarism is embarrassing."
Korey Lyons wrote: "Good for Robb for calling them out on this record. Straight ripping off bands and getting number one on the billboard is blasphemy."
Matthew T Weldon wrote: "just ANOTHER case of a better Artist (Rob).. JEALOUS of the success and $$$ someone of lesser talent (avenge) is receiving."
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire and Noisecreep
Check out an interview with Avenged Sevenfold guitarist Synyster Gates at Blabbermouth