Could Metallica be preparing a surprise performance at Yankee Stadium in New York to honor retiring Yankees pitcher Mariano Rivera? That's the rumor reported by the New York Daily News on Monday (August 26th), with the paper noting that Metallica will be in town to perform at the Apollo Theater on September 21st, one day before the Yankees stage a celebration of Rivera's career on September 22nd prior to their game against the San Francisco Giants -- who happen to be Metallica's hometown team.
And why would Metallica pay tribute to the legendary Rivera, who's calling it quits after nearly 20 years with the Yanks? Because for most of those years, the future Baseball Hall of Famer has been coming out of the bullpen to close out games to the tune of Metallica's "Enter Sandman" playing on the stadium's P.A. system.
- The Daily News contacted Yankees reps about the matter, but a team spokesperson would not comment on "any events surrounding Mo's ceremony."
- Metallica performed at Yankee Stadium once before, nearly two years ago in September 2011 when the "Big Four" tour with Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth stopped there.
- As previously reported, Metallica is playing at the Apollo to promote the release of its new movie,Metallica Through The Never.
- The 3D IMAX film will make its world premiere on Monday, September 9th at the Toronto International Film Festival before opening on September 27th at IMAX theaters and expanding onto additional screens on October 4th.
- Mariano Rivera was born in Panama in November 1969.
- He has spent his entire 19-year professional career with the Yankees, becoming the team's regular closer in 1997.
- Rivera is Major League Baseball's career leader in saves with 646 and in games finished with 942 as of this writing.
- He is also a 13-time All-Star, a five-time World Series champion, and led the major leagues in saves in 1999, 2001, and 2004. He was named the 1999 World Series Most Valuable Player (MVP) and the 2003 AL Championship Series MVP, and he holds several postseason records, including lowest earned run average (ERA) (0.70) and most saves (42).
- His pitching repertoire consists primarily of one pitch, a sharp-moving cut fastball that regularly reaches the plate at speeds of 90-plus miles an hour.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Rivera come out to "Enter Sandman" for his final All-Star Game appearance this past July:
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock and Noisecreep
Blabbermouth posts video of Jakarta governor attends Metallica concert