Subscribe to channel
Justin Timberlake won big at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards on last night (August 25th). JT took home four moonmen for Best Direction, Best Editing, Video Of The Year and the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis didn't trail far behind. The duo took home three Moonmen for Best Hip-Hop Video, Best Cinematography and Best Video With A Social Message.
- The show took place at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, NY. There was no host for this year's show, however Kevin Hart popped up periodically and provided the audience with comedic relief.
- Best Collaboration - Pink Feat. Nate Reuss, "Just Give Me A Reason"
- Best Rock Video - 30 Seconds To Mar, "Up In The Air"
- Best Pop Video - Selena Gomez, "Come And Get It"
- Best Choreography - Bruno Mars, "Treasure"
- Best Hip-Hop Video - Macklemore & Ryan, "Can't Hold Us"
- Best Direction - Justin Timberlake Feat. Jay Z, "Suit & Tie"
- Best Cinematography - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton, "Can't Hold Us"
- Best Editing - Justin Timberlake, "Mirrors"
- Best Visual Effects - Capital Cities "Safe and Sound"
- Best Art Direction - Janelle Monae Feat. Erykah Badu, "Q.U.E.E.N"
- Best Female Video - Taylor Swift, "I Knew You Were Trouble"
- Best Video With A Social Message - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, "Same Love"
- Best Song Of The Summer - One Direction, "Best Song Ever"
- Artist To Watch - Austin Mahone, "What About Love"
- Best Male Video - Bruno Mars, "Locked Out Of Heaven"
- Video Of The Year - Justin Timberlake, "Mirrors"
- Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award - Justin Timberlake
- Austin Mahone kicked off the pre-show with his dancers doing acrobatic flips across the red carpet. Austin and his dancers wore black and red leather matching ensembles. He performed his hit "What About Love."
- Ariana Grande performed right after Austin. She wore a lavender bustier dress. The top of the dress was sequined and the skirt was silk. Ariana performed her new single "Baby I" as well as her hit "I Love The Way." She then gave away a few VMA tickets to a some high school students in the crowd at the pre-show.
- Lady Gaga opened the show singing a cappella and transitioned into "Applause." The lights flashed in the background as she wore a white gown that resembled a graduation gown and a square headpiece. She also wore the clown make-up that she wore in the cover art for her single, "Applause." In total, Gaga had four costume changes, including a seashell bikini that she wore throughout the show.
- Miley Cyrus performed "We Can't Stop." During the performance Miley wore a bodysuit with a bear on the front as she twerked with her backup dancers. The dancers wore oversized bears on their backs. Miley also awkwardly smacked the butt of a woman that was on the stage tossing items into the crowd.
- Robin Thicke joined Miley on the stage to perform "Blurred Lines." Miley tore off her bodysuit and underneath she wore a tan bralette and tan panties. 2 Chainz and Kendrick Lamar hit the stage with Robin and performed "Give It To You."
- Kanye West performed "Blood On The Leaves." Ye rapped into the microphone underneath a red light. Shortly after, he performed in front of a background of a field where you could only see his silhouette.
- Justin Timberlake performed at the VMAs for first time in six years. His performance kicked off with a series of video clips of some of his hit records that he actually performed in his medley. He began his performance of "Take Back The Night" in the hallway of the Barclay's Center with backup dancers swarming behind him. He then segued to "Sexy Back" with a series of flashing lights and a live band playing in the background. He also performed "Like I Love You," "My Love," "Cry Me A River," "Senorita -- as he played the piano" and "Rock Your Body -- which was mashed up with Jay Z's "I Just Wanna Love You (GiveIt To Me)." There was also a pop-and-lock and a choreographed segment -- which smoothly transitioned to the highly anticipated 'N SYNC reunion. 'N SYNC performed their hits "Girlfriend" and "Bye, Bye, Bye." JT's performance continued with "Suit & Tie" and "Mirrors."
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Mary Lambert performed "Same Love" with an acoustic band. Mid performance, the treo was joined by Jennifer Hudson.
- Drake's performance was introduced by T-Boz and Chilli of TLC. He kicked off the performance singing his new single "Hold On, We're Going Home." His stance and background during the beginning of the performance replicated the cover art for his album upcoming album Nothing Was The Same. Drizzy then transitioned to his hit "Started From The Bottom."
- Bruno Mars performed his new hit "Gorilla" with green lights constantly flashing and fire periodically coming from the ground. The background also featured a digitized gorilla.
- Katy Perry performed her hit "Roar" from the Brooklyn Bridge. Katy's stage was actually a boxing ring and she was dressed in boxing gear. She even wore a tiger print sports bra. Towards the end of the performance she began jumping rope with her dancers, then she climbed on top of the boxing ring ropes. Katy concluded the performance standing on a gold stool as she held a boxing championship belt in the air.
In clip one, Austin Mahone accepts the Artist to Watch Award.
- "Oh, my God. I don't know what to say. This is honestly one of the coolest things ever. I want to thank MTV. First off, I want to thank God. Without him, I wouldn't be here. Yes. Second off, I want to thank my mom because she's always been there for me. She raised me as a single mother. You know, I could not have asked for anyone better. I love you, mom. And third off, I want to thank my best friends. They've been with me from the start and will be here till the end, so AC, Rob and Zack, I love you guys. Also I want to thank my team. Rocco, Mike, Brian and Dave. Thank you for the opportunities. I appreciate it, guys. I want to thank my publicist, Erika. She's the best in the business. Last but not least, I want to thank from the bottom of my heart, all my Mahomeys out there, all my fans. Thank you guys so much for voting for me. I wouldn't not be on the stage if it wasn't for you. Okay, so thank you so much. This is incredible. Thank you guys so much. Good night, everybody."
In clip two, Bruno Mars accepts the Best Male Video Award.
- "Thank you so much. This is my first moonman, ya'll. I want to thank my band, I want to thank Cameron Dutty, my partner in crime when it comes to these videos. My manager Brandon Creed. Everybody at Atlantic... All the fans who voted. I love you all. Thank you guys so much, Thank you, MTV. Thank you."
In clip three, Justin Timberlake accepts the Video of the Year Award.
- "Can you guys make some noise tonight for Kanye, Bruno, all the performances? Did you have fun tonight? This is a really special video for me. This is a tribute to my grandparents. Let's not get soft. We all have grandparents. And now I'm going to follow that up with, my grandfather actually passed away in December. So I know, I hope my grandmother is watching right now. This is for you, granny. Floria, I hope you're here somewhere. I came up with this idea, and you really were just amazing and directed your... off. Jewels, Colleen, everybody that helped make this video possible, this is truly, this is amazing because it's so personal for me. I thank you so much. I love you guys. Thank you."
In clip four, Justin Timberlake receives the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award.
- "I don't deserve this award, but I'm not going to give it back. I'm taking this home. Every video director that I had the fortune of working with, I owe this award to you. My manager, Johnny. My folks. But most of all, half of the moonmen that I've ever won, I won with those four guys right there. So above all else, I'm going to share, we can keep it at my house, but I'm going to share this award with them. This is truly an honor. Thank you so much. Thank you so much."
In clip five, Justin Timberlake says you asked for it before the 'N Sync reunion.
- "You asked for it... You're gone.".
In clip six, Kevin Hard on Justin Timberlakes performance.
- "But now that I'm up here, I want to talk about what I just saw. First of all, Justin Timberlake just killed it. Make some noise for Justin Timberlake. Dude, dude, he performed for like 20 minutes. That was amazing. He brought 'N Sync out. Holy Schnikes. I know 'N Sync was... off because he only let them do one song. They definitely were... off. They were out of shape, too. They gained some weight, didn't they? They got tired as hell on that one song. I saw Joey fart. Joey farted. He farted. Oh, God. Oh. He killed it though. Honestly Justin, I take my hat off to you."
In clip seven, Kevin Hart on Kendrick Lamars verse on Control.
- "Kendrick Lamar, blessed the stage. I see you Kendrick. Kendrick might be the most talked about person in hip hop right now after that first, after that verse. He talked about everybody in the verse. I tell you who he didn't talk about, Chocolate Dropper. That's who he didn't talk about. You would have got these bars, Kendrick. Real rap raw. MTV, don't want to see me. I'm up here, doing what I do. Hot water and hot dogs. Jumping double dutch."
In clip eight, Kevin Hard talks about the beginning performances.
- "How amazing was Lady Gaga? Make some noise for Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga was unbelievable. Hey, Lady Gaga got.... I didn't know she had all that... Lady Gaga got some yams. I was looking. I was definitely looking. Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke. Make some noise. Amazing. Hey, Molly better get a damn pregnancy test after doing all that grinding. Robin came out here dressed in a damn penguin tuxedo. That was amazing, Robin. I love you, man."
In clip nine, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis accept Best Hip Hop Video.
- "Man, first of all, a shout-out to all the homeys nominated. The fact that we're up here with the moonman is insane. We started out with an idea of this flag that represented our journey, this flag would go around the world and then we had the ideas, which was like I want to rap on a pirate ship, I need a camel, I knee a dude with dreadlocks and an ice cave. And eventually it turned out into a music video."
In clip ten, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis accept Best Video with a Social Message.
- "I'm going to be honest. I really wanted to win the best rap video, but this moonman right here stands for a lot more. I've been writing songs for like since I was 15 years old. Out of every single song that I have ever written to me this is the most important record out of all of them. And to watch this song in the last year spread across the world is a testament to what is happening right now in America on the forefront of equality. Gay rights are human rights. There's no separation."
In clip eleven, One Direction accepts the Best Song of the Summer award.
- "We wanna say a massive, massive thank you to all of our fans. We know this was a voted award. So thank you so, so much to everybody who voted. It means very much, alot to us. This is the director of our video. His idea, Ben Winston, so thank you to him. And, yeah... What Harry said. I can't believe what our fans have done for us the past three years. Our movie comes out next weekend and this moonman tops it alot. So this ones for you guys thank you so much everybody. Thank you."
In clip twelve, Selena Gomez accepts Best Pop Video.
- "This is heavy. Oh, my goodness. This is my first actual moonman. Thank you so much. This has been such a great year for me. I wouldn't have done it without you guys. So thank you so much. This is so cool. Thank you. I love you guys. Take care."
In clip thirteen, Taylor Swift accepts Best Female Video.
- "You know, I want to thank the fans because this is, I tweeted about this a lot. I've really, really wanted this. Thank you so much for doing this for me. I feel really lucky because I have the video director, Anthony Mandler and my co-star Reef Carney here with me tonight, and I'm so happy that they're here. And this is just awesome. I also want to thank the person who inspired this song who knows exactly who he is because now I got one of these. Thank you so much."
AWARD SHOW HIGHLIGHTS
- The cameraman constantly placed the camera on Taylor Swift to get her reaction as Selena Gomez accepted the Best Pop Video award.
- Miley Cyrus said that she was going to be twerking when she was interviewed on the red carpet. We had no idea she would be twerking on Robin Thicke.
- The cameraman made sure he got Drake's reaction when Macklemore & Ryan Lewis won Best Hip-Hop Video.
- Kevin Hart provided quite a few laughs in between performances.
- After performing a medley of hits, Justin Timberlake brought out 'N SYNC to perform their hits "Girlfriend" and "Bye, Bye, Bye."
- Lady Gaga sat in the audience wearing seashell bikini.
- Jimmy Fallon presented JT with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award while the crowd chanted. Jimmy Fallon mentioned several of JT's hits including his SNL sketch "D*ck In A Box."
- The cameraman also switched to RiRi while Drake performed and she didn't look very interested in the performance. Even though they were reportedly spotted dining together over the weekend.
- Danity Kane also hit the red carpet -- without D.Woods, and announced that they're back together. The also revealed that they've parted ways with Diddy.
RED CARPET HITS
- Lady Gaga styled in a long black gown and dark aviator sunglasses.
- Selena Gomez looked gorge in a long purple Atelier Versace gown with black stones adorning the front of the dress.
- Pharrell arrived at the red carpet on a bike with a crew of bikers. He wore a fedora, white v-neck, black blazer and blue cut-off denim shorts. Very Pharrell-ish.
- Rita Ora wore her hair in a short, yet flattering bob. She wore a full-length gown that had sequins on the top with a deep plunge and feathers on the bottom.
- Ciara would have won the award for Best Dressed. She wore a long sheer and sequined gown with feathers on the bottom. Future, however decided to wear a black and grey patchwork suit.
- Taylor Swift was stunning in a long, navy spaghetti strap gown with a deep plunge. However, her hair was a mixture confused waves and curls.
RED CARPET MISSES
- Miley Cyrus arrived on the red carpet wearing a black crop top and black high waist pants that were embellished with gems. Her hair was in two small Bantu knots. Two words, not okay.
- Paula Patton was almost stunning. She wore black sleeveless sequined gown, however her hair was in overly messy curls.
- Katy Perry wore a leopard mock neck dress with gold accents. Her hair was up in a ponytail and she wore strappy sandals. Nope, not quite.
- Lil' Kim presented the Best Hip-Hop Video Award and wore an all black leather cat suit. SMH.
- RiRi went for a more, umm casual look. She wore a t-shirt and cuffed jeans.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Who do you think got jipped?
- Who had the worst acceptance speech?
- Do you think the show was better with a host?
- Who was best dressed? Who was worst dressed?
- Did you think the 'N Sync performance was too short?
- What was your favorite part of the show?
- Was this year's show better than last year?
- Should they keep the VMA's in Brooklyn?
- What was the most shocking moment of the show?
- What was the most boring moment of the show?
- How do you feel about the cameramen placing the camera on specific people when certain people performed or received awards?
- What performance surprised you?
CHECK IT OUT
INTERNET COMMENTS - DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE?
Please note the following comments contain language that could be considered offensive.
- @futuresogolden tweeted Mike Will and Miley gotta be fu*kn #VMA
- @gillett_steph tweeted Miley...just what? What are you wearing? Your hair? You're gonna lick someone? #vma
- @Jeff_Strange tweeted Who's really watching these #vma awards? Popularity contest is what it is.
- @amcinnis2 tweeted Hellen Keller can probably hit a better note than Austin Mahone #VMA
- @RadioJJ tweeted Nicki and Sarah are like those drunk girls on the train you wanna throw things at. #VMA's
- @gofoulkurself tweeted I M dyinngg this is so horrible #gaga #vma
- @BrianCentrone tweeted When did Miley Cyrus become Amanda Bynes? #VMA
- @ChillMoody tweeted If you never saw the @macklemore video and you are hating please shut up. That video was AMAZING. #VMA
- @saiken000 tweeted Pretty sure Miley's PR rep is making overtime tonight. #vma
- @cutencomfy1 tweeted Might have been simple but @kanyewest's performance was my favorite so far. Is it time for @jtimberlake to perform yet?! #vma
- @alexandergold tweeted Lady Gaga and Will Smith are apparently so excited about marriage equality. #VMA #VMAs
- @Alx_James10 tweeted Thank God the music world has Justin Timberlake. #VMA'S
- @TheRealCarolina tweeted You know the boys from @NSYNC been practicing those moves in their bedrooms since 2002, that's why that was flawless #justincase #vma @mtv
- @Brian_Bee tweeted Justin Timberlake better drop the mic when this is ova !!!! Cuz he did that!!!! #vma
- @ItsDLai tweeted Was the Karate kid crying from Drakes performance? #VMA's
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Austin Mahone accepts the Artist to Watch Award
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Justin Timberlake accepts the Video of the Year Award
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Justin Timberlake receives the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Kevin Hart on Kendrick Lamars verse on Control
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Macklemore and Ryan Lewis accept Best Hip Hop Video
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Selena Gomez accepts Best Pop Video
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Bruno Mars accepts the Best Male Video Award
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Justin Timberlake says you asked for it before the N Sync reunion
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Kevin Hart on Justin Timberlakes performance
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Kevin Hart talks about the beginning performances
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Macklemore and Ryan Lewis accept Best Video with a Social Message
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS One Direction accepts the Best Song of the Summer Award
2013 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS Taylor Swift accepts Best Female Video
Read more at Rolling Stone
Check out the winners list Billboard and performance highlights at Billboard
Billboard posts 10 things you didn't see on tv
Billboard posts celebrity reactions
Rolling Stone posts performance footgae from Lada Gaga, 'NSync, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Katy Perry and Drake
posts performance footage from Lady Gaga
, Miley Cyrus
and Katy Perry
Read more on Justin Timberlake at Billboard and NME
Read more on Miley Cyrus at Billboard and NME
Billboard reports MTV Video Music Awards Performances: The Hits and Misses
Check out a preview from Billboard Checkout what exec producer says at Billboard
Rolling Stone reports Parents Television Council issues complaint against VMAs
Billboard reports MTV VMAs ratings skyrocket 66 percent
Return to previous page
Send to a friend
MTV's Daily Video
Eye Of Provide..
Eye Of Provide..