Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl was asked by XFM in the U.K. for his thoughts on the upcoming 20th anniversary reissue of Nirvana's In Utero, the final studio album by the band and second that Grohl played drums on. Grohl said, "I recognize myself back then and I remember what it was like to be in the band but it's hard to believe that that much time has gone by. A lot has happened in those 20 years, when I think about In Utero and what the world was like, what my life was like back then, it's strange."
He added, "From the time that Nevermind came out in September of 1991 to the time that Nirvana was over, it was really just a few years and a lot happened in those few years. I look back at this album and looking at the packaging and the old pictures and listening to songs that I haven't heard in 20 years, all of these rarities and demos, it's kind of a trip."
- Nirvana did record some demos after In Utero came out and cut its final song, "You Know You're Right," in 1993. Grohl recalled the sessions for that track: "We had some time off before a tour, and Kurt wanted to go in and demo some stuff, so I said, 'Hey, why don't we do it at this studio down the street from my house.' And we went down there, and we had three days booked. Kurt came in the last day and we were like, 'Okay, what do you wanna do?' And Kurt said, 'Well, why don't we do that song we've been doing at soundcheck?' And so we rehearsed it, I think, once, and then recorded it. Kurt did three or four vocal takes, and that was it."
- A previously unheard instrumental called "Forgotten Tune" will be among the 70 tracks included on the three-disc deluxe reissue of In Utero, which is set for release on September 24th.
- The rest of the material on the jam-packed set will consist of remastered, remixed, rare and unreleased demos, B-sides, alternate takes and live recordings, along with two different mixes of the 12-song album.
- The In Utero package will be issued in several configurations, including a three-CD/one-DVD "Super Deluxe" edition, plus two-CD, three-LP and digital versions.
- Grohl also told XFM that Foo Fighters have finished writing their eighth studio album and plan to record it "in a way that no one's ever done before." The disc is likely to come out in 2014.
WHAT DO YOU THINK???
- For anyone who is over 20 years old --do you remember what you were doing 20 years ago?
- How has your life changed in those two decades? For the better or worse?
- Are you doing now what you thought you'd be doing 20 years ago?
CHECK IT OUT: Watch a full Nirvana concert from 1993 at the Stabler Arena:
Dave Grohl Recalls Nirvana's Last Recording Session
Read more at Blabbermouth
NME reports producer Steve Albini says critics of Nirvana's "In Utero" album were "parasites"
Check out the video for "Heart-Shaped Box" (Director's Cut) at Classic Rock