The first single from the Kings of Leon's upcoming LP, Mechanical Bull, has been released. The track is called "Supersoaker" and has already been listened to over 150,000 times on the song's Vevo page as of Thursday (July 18th.)
The band will be performing the tune on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon on Monday (July 22nd.) Fans seem to be having mixed reactions with some feeling that it doesn't rock enough or live up to the band's previous work and others comparing them to The Strokes and digging the new direction.
- Mechanical Bull will be released on September 24th.
- Kings of Leon are currently touring and are set to perform at the Rock for Oklahoma benefit on July 23rd alongside Jackson Browne and the Flaming Lips and at the 2013 Global Citizen Festival in Central Park on September 28th.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Can the Kings Of Leon outdo their previous success?
- Do you like when bands try to switch up their sound a bit or stick to what works for them?
- How important is a debut single in deciding whether you will purchase the rest of the album?
CHECK IT OUT:
INTERNET COMMENTS: DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE?
- Adam on rollingstone.com says, "wow. terrible. what happened to songs like "holy roller novacaine", "knocked up", "trunk" etc. from previous albums? truly rocking songs."
- Matt Mabe on rollingstone.com says, "LOVE IT! Way to go, dudes"
- Phil on music-mix.ew.com says, "I guess this is about as sunny and summer time-esque as one can expect from the KoL. I like it, but don't love it. Maybe I need to give it some more spins."
- MM on music-mix.ew.com says, "More. I want more."
Read more at Classic Rock, Rolling Stone, Billboard and NME
Check out the song at NME
NME reports Kings Of Leon: "We pick the songs Caleb hates as singles'"