Metallica will make its first-ever appearance on July 19th atSan Diego Comic-Con, the massive geek culture event that annually draws 125,000 fans to the San Diego Convention Center for comic books, movies, TV shows, gaming, toys and more. All four members of the group will be on hand for a preview of their upcoming IMAX 3D movie, Metallica Through The Never, which arrives in theaters this fall.
A post at the band's website said, "You've heard us use the word 'first' a few times this year and we're back with a truly unusual, unbelievably exciting first for us -- Comic-Con, San Diego here we come! The now iconic convention hosts well over 100,000 visitors from all over the world to talk film, TV, art, collectibles, and of course, comics. We are totally psyched to be a part of it on Friday, July 19 to discuss the upcoming 3D event, Metallica Through The Never."
- Metallica's panel -- which will premiere a new trailer and feature exclusive footage from the movie -- will take place from 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the 6,000-person capacity Hall H, the largest room in the convention center.
- Hall H is usually home to blockbuster film panels, with movies like The Amazing Spider-Man 2,Thor: The Dark World and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire all slated for presentations there this year.
- Joining the members of Metallica at their panel will be Through The Never star Dane DeHaan, director Nimrod Antal and producer Charlotte Huggins.
- Metallica Through The Never will open on IMAX screens in the U.S. on September 27th, with a wider release following on October 4th.
- The movie stars DeHaan as a member of the band's road crew who is sent on a mysterious mission while the group headlines a concert at an arena. The film is said to mix a conventional storyline with concert footage.
CHECK IT OUT: For more on Comic-Con go to http://www.comic-con.org/cci
WATCH: See the teaser trailer for Metallica Through The Never:
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Have you ever been to San Diego Comic-Con or any geek/fan culture convention?
- Would you consider going for Metallica's presentation?
- Do you think this is a cool way for the band to promote their movie?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth and THR.com -- agree or not?
DTC wrote: "I still have no idea what the hell this film is about, even after watching the trailer. Plus I hate watching 3D stuff in cinemas. It's overpriced for starters, and you can't see s*** through those glasses, way too much dark-tinted."
bison2000 wrote: "cant wait its going to be lethal."
motley wrote: "i still love metallica but for god sake how about a new album."
scornful wrote: "Oh boy, I get to see up close details of Kirk Hammetts hairplugs and James acne scars! So awesome."
Happily LS wrote: "I remember people complaining they'd sold out in 1991 with the black album. If those fans could see this I think their heads would explode, lol."
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire and Noisecreep
Blabbermouth posts performance footage of Metallica at Roskilde for the first time in 10 years Read more at NME
Blabbermouth posts pro-shot performance clip from of "Blackened" from "Orion Music + More"