Nickelback's Chad Kroeger and pop starlet Avril Lavigne, both Canadians. tied the know on Monday (July 1st), which also happens to be Canada Day. According to Us Weekly, the couple were married in front of 50 of their closest friends and family outside of the castle -- in a courtyard that had a view of the coastline at a 14th century castle named Chateau de la Napoule in Mandelieu in the South of France. The celebration afterwards, which began at midnight and ended at six in the morning, featured a late night fireworks display.
A source told E! News that following the ceremony, guests were treated to a buffet of fresh lobster, sea bass, beef, and "endless glasses" of Laurent-Perrier champagne. There was also a wedding brunch at the Chateau on Tuesday morning (July 2nd).
- Another source said that the wedding reception was "a wild, all-night party with drinking, dancing, incredible food and lots of laughter and tears of happiness."
- Kroeger and Lavigne got engaged last August after quietly dating for a few months. They began their relationship while Kroeger was helping Lavigne write songs for her latest album.
- While getting married on Canada Day is certainly patriotic, Kroeger told People magazine that he and his bride had other reasons for getting hitched on that date. He explained, "We started dating July 1st, so I'll let the math speak for itself there. We can't wait to start our life together. We're very happy."
- This is the first marriage for the 38-year-old Kroeger and second for the 28-year-old Lavigne, who divorced Sum 41's Deryck Whibley in 2009 after three years together.
- Multiple sources erroneously reported that the nuptials took place on Saturday (June 29th), but the couple quickly debunked those rumors.
- Nickelback will head out on an extensive European tour this fall. The quartet issued its seventh studio album, Here And Now, in November 2011.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Do you think they rushed getting married?
- How do you think a couple should wait before getting engaged?
- How old is the oldest person you've dated?
- What is a major deal breaker in a relationship?
- Can rock stars stay married with the lifestyle they lead and always being away in the studio or on tour?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Us Weekly -- agree or not?
kimmy3x wrote: "Avril and Derek (Sum 41) were so cute together it is unfortunate it didn't workout. Chad Kroger is a stinky old man he doesn't belong with Avril I give them 3 years tops before she gets bored and wants someone closer to her own age."
Muffy wrote: "One of the weirdest couples ever..."
Ambience138 wrote: "Sounds absolutely beautiful. So happy for them both."
malibuugirl wrote: "Never thought he'd actually go through with it."
Read more at Loudwire, Noisecreep and Billboard and NME
Read more about the wedding at Billboard