Subscribe to channel
- Blabbermouth reports according to Billboard.com, METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich's July 2000 appearance before a Senate Judiciary Committee in which he accused Napster — the file-sharing app that flipped the music world upside-down — of "hijacking" his band's music by making it available for anyone to download for free is featured in the new documentary "Downloaded". The film, which chronicles Napster's rise and fall, will be available on Monday (July 1) on VOD, including iTunes. It's also receiving a limited theatrical release. A trailer for the film can be seen below. Back in 2000, METALLICA launched legal action against Napster, claiming that the pioneering music file-sharing service was illegally allowing users to download METALLICA tracks without paying royalties to the band. Although the case was settled out of court, 300,000 users were banned from Napster as a result and METALLICA's image took a tremendous beating in the eyes of music fans. Ulrich, who was the main spokesperson for METALLICA in the Napster battle, later admitted that he wished he had dealt with the situation differently. "Our manager told us that our [unreleased] song was playing on the radio," Ulrich said, recalling the time he first heard about Napster. "I told him 'Maybe we should go over there and...'." He punched his hand three times with his fist. "It was never about money, it was about control," Ulrich said. "It was about being in your bubble and controlling the access. If Napster had approached us first and given us options, it might have been a little different. Instead, control was taken away from us. It turned into, 'If you fuck with us, we'll fuck with you.' … Instead of Napster versus METALLICA, it became METALLICA versus its fans."
- Blabbermouth reports THE WINERY DOGS, the power trio featuring Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER, AVENGED SEVENFOLD, ADRENALINE MOB), Billy Sheehan (MR. BIG) and Richie Kotzen (MR. BIG, POISON), will take part in a in-store performance and signing session on Tuesday, August 6 at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, New Jersey. For more information, visit www.vvinyl.com. THE WINERY DOGS' self-titled debut album will be released in North America on July 23 via Loud & Proud Records. Issued in Japan on May 15 via Victor Entertainment, the CD was mixed by Jay Ruston, who has previously worked with ANTHRAX, ADRENALINE MOB, STONE SOUR and STEEL PANTHER. Sheehan previously stated about the effort: "I'm really pleased with it. Richie sang his ass off and played amazingly unique stuff, and, of course Mike annihilated on drums. [It's a] really cool, unique record." Of THE WINERY DOGS' signing, Portnoy commented: "I am so excited about THE WINERY DOGS and am proud and honored to be working with two of the greatest musicians on the planet! "Richie Kotzen is such an unbelievable talent, as a vocalist, guitarist and songwriter. I think THE WINERY DOGS will finally get him the attention and recognition that he so richly deserves. "And what can be said of Billy Sheehan that hasn't been said already? He is one the true pioneers of the instrument and a legend. "I am looking forward to working with the great staff of Loud & Proud Records, some of whom I worked very closely with during their time at Roadrunner and my time with DREAM THEATER. I look forward to continuing that relationship with THE WINERY DOGS!" Loud & Proud owner and president Tom Lipsky added: "The debut by THE WINERY DOGS absolutely rocks and we are very excited that Loud & Proud is their label partner. This body of work showcases not only their renowned skills as musicians and vocalists, but also the depth of their talent as songwriters. Billy, Mike and Richie delivered some of the best performances of their illustrious careers and I am confident this album will be recognized as one of the truly great rock albums of the year." Regarding how THE WINERY DOGS got its name, Portnoy said: "It was Richie's name. We had a list of about 50 names. I had about 10 that I preferred over THE WINERY DOGS, but you know, when you're in a band, you have to give and take and choose your battles, and Richie really, really loved this band name. So, you know, it was, like, 'OK.' A name is a name. If you feel that strongly about it, then go for it. So that's who we are." THE WINERY DOGS will kick off its world tour by playing two shows in Japan this summer: July 16 in Osaka and July 17 in Tokyo.
"The Winery Dogs" track listing:
01. Elevate 02. Desire 03. We Are One 04. I'm No Angel 05. The Other Side 06. You Saved Me 07. Not Hopeless 08. One More Time 09. Damaged 10. Six Feet Deeper 11. Criminal 12. The Dying 13. Regret
DVD (limited edition, only available in Japan):
01. Elevate 02. Desire 03. I'm No Angel
"I'm No Angel"video:
- Loudwire reports Spoken frontman Matt Baird talks new album "Illusion", working with Jasen Rauch and more
- Loudwire reports Stolen Babies drummer Gil Sharone talks touring, latest album "Naught" and more
- Loudwire reports Goatwhore’s Ben Falgoust talks about growing up in the southern metal scene
- Loudwire posts Black Sabbath’s "Paranoid" covered by children’s orff rock band
- NME reports Liam Gallagher: "Glastonbury's back in the good books"
- NME reports Thom Yorke spins Prince and NWA in secret, two-hour Glastonbury DJ set
- NME reports The Vaccines to play secret Glastonbury set tomorrow
- NME reports Marilyn Manson teams up with Mr Oizo on new single "Solid"
- NME reports Nile Rodgers quashes hopes of secret Daft Punk gig at Glastonbury 2013
- NME reports Prince to perform at George Lucas' wedding?
- Blabbermouth posts video of Bret Michaels showing off his pet-apparel line on "Conan"
- Blabbermouth posts video of Queensryche bassist throwing out first pitch at Mariners Vs. Pirates game
- Blabbermouth posts video of Down's Hellfest press conference
- Blabbermouth posts new music from Eminence
- Blabbermouth posts new music videos from Unkind - "Kentoon Tapetut" (Lyric Video),
Return to previous page
Send to a friend
MTV's Daily Video