- Metallica has posted more footage online of its surprise afternoon set at the Orion Music + More festival on June 8th in Detroit, in which the band -- calling itself "DeHaan" -- played its entire 1983 debut album Kill 'Em All from front to back on a smaller side stage. Metallica has expanded upon the footage revealed last week, offering up a look inside the tuning room to see the band rehearse "Jump In The Fire," followed by the onstage performances of "Hit The Lights" and "Phantom Lord." (Blabbermouth)
- Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker's side project The Transplants are streaming their new album in its entirety at RollingStone.com. The disc, titled In A Warzone, is the outfit's third effort and first since 2004's Haunted Cities. The trio, which also includes Rancid's Tim Armstrong and Death March's Rob Aston, are on tour now and next play in Silver Spring, Maryland on Wednesday (June 19th). In A Warzone arrives next Tuesday (June 25th). Read more at Rolling Stone
- The Offspring have been announced as the headliners of the fifth annual Epicenter Festival, scheduled for September 21st at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine, California. Other acts confirmed to appear include Bad Religion, A Day To Remember, Pennywise, Pierce The Veil, All Time Low, Falling In Reverse and more to be added in the weeks ahead. Tickets for the fest will go on sale Friday (June 21st) at noon PT through Ticketmaster or Live Nation. (Loudwire) Read more at Noisecreep
- Buckcherry has confirmed a new string of summer tour dates that will take the band all over the U.S. and Canada as it continues to support its latest album, Confessions. The group has also released a lyric video for the new single from the disc, "Nothing Left But Tears." The summer trek kicks off this Thursday (June 20th) in Colorado Springs. Dates are (subject to change):
June 20 - Colorado Springs, CO - Black Sheep
June 22 - Las Vegas, NV - Redrocks
June 25 - Boise, ID - Knitting Factory
June 26 - Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
June 28 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom
June 29 - Seattle, WA - El Corazon
July 3 - Mankato, MN - Vetter Stone Amphitheatre
July 6 - Edmonton, AB - Union Hall
July 7 - Calgary AB - Cowboys Stampede
July 10 - Omaha, NE - Bourbon Theatre
July 12 - Kansas City, MO - KC Live!
July 13 - Prairie du Chien, WI - Rock On The River Fest
July 16 - Rhinelander, WI - Elbo Room Lounge
July 17 - Oshkosh, WI - Rock USA
July 18 - Walker, MN - Moondance Jam
July 20 - Winnipeg, MB - Maplegrove Rugby Park
July 26 - Baltimore, MD - Power Plant Live
July 27 - Louisville, KY - Fourth Street Live!
August 8 - Lake Charles, LA - L'Auberge Casino Resort
August 17 - Lake Odessa, MI - I-96 Speedway (Brave Words) Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire and Classic Rock
CHECK IT OUT: Watch official footage from Metallica's "DeHaan" set at Orion:
Listen to the new Transplants album, In A Warzone:
Watch the new lyric video from Buckcherry:
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakersreturned to Bonnaroo on Sunday night, June 16th, as the festival's co-headliners and performed for over two hours. Before ending the set, Petty told the audience, "We're gonna leave you were it all started," before launching into "American Girl." Read more at Rolling Stone and Billboard Read his thoughts at Rolling Stone
- A 24 year-old woman died after collapsing at the Stone Roses concert in Glasgow on Saturday, June 15th. According to published reports, the woman collapsed and fell just as the group was taking the stage at the Glasgow Green. Medics attempted to treat her before she was transported to a hospital and pronounced dead. A full investigation is underway. Read more at Billboard and NME
- Pink Floyd has resisted the digital age for some time but Spotify launched a successful campaign to make the group's entire catalog available on the company's streaming services. Spotify only made the catalog available after one million fans streamed the group's 1975 track, "Wish You Were Here." The group's label, EMI, signed a deal with Spotify back in 2011, but Pink Floyd's catalog was not included. Read more at Rolling Stone and NME
- Blabbermouth reports BLACK SABBATH singer Ozzy Osbourne was asked by Billboard.com why the band's current touring drummer, Tommy Clufetos, did not record the drum tracks on their new album, "13", on which the drums were played by Brad Wilk of RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE. Ozzy replied: "The way it was dealt with wasn't very fair on Tommy. [Producer] Rick Rubin just didn't want to work with him for reasons I don't know. He's a great drummer, and he's been with me for awhile now and I just felt that nobody discussed the decision about Brad to me, and it's not fair to Tommy. Tommy was promised the album... It's not because he was my drummer and my ego wanted him. It was just the fact the way it was dealt with. It just got me a bit, it got me pissed off about it. It's alright now. He's a great drummer. I don't know what the problem was." As for Wilk, Osbourne says he "did a good job. I don't have anything bad to say. He's a very nice guy." In an e-mail to Billboard.com, Rubin explained that "Brad is a muscular drummer with great feel and understands the groovy nature of their music — RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE is a groovy rock band, not a metal band — so it was worth a try. When they played together the first time, it was obvious he would do a great job in the seat [original SABBATH drummer] Bill [Ward] left vacated. Bill's a great drummer and I'm sure it would have been an amazing album with him. We all wanted him to participate." Asked what happened with Bill Ward, who was announced as part of the band's reunion in late 2011 but bowed out a few months later, Ozzy told Spin, "To be absolutely truthful with you, I can't really remember. It was such a long time ago. There was the business side of it and the money side of it. We just didn't have the time to keep the people waiting another fucking ten years . . . We would have loved Bill Ward to step up to the plate, but it never worked out." Ward claimed that he sat out the reunion because of unfair contractual terms, although the members of SABBATH have hinted in other interviews that he wasn't physically up to the task. "13" is the first album in 35 years to feature Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi and bassist Geezer Butler all playing together. The set, which came out on June 11, is likely to sell between 120,000 and 130,000 copies in the U.S. in its first week of release, according to industry web site Hits Daily Double. That could hand SABBATH its first No. 1 album ever in the U.S.
- Blabbermouth reports THE FOUNDRY, a brand new "supergroup" featuring current and former members of DISTURBED, SCORPIONS and IRON MAIDEN, will make its live debut this Thursday, June 20 at the Crown Events Center in Austin, Texas. Proceeds from the event will benefit victims of the recent Oklahoma tornadoes.
THE FOUNDRY tour dates:
June 20 - Austin, TX - Crown Events Center June 21 - Oklahoma City, OK - The Chameleon Room June 22 - Austin, TX - Anderson Mill Tavern June 23 - New Braunfels, TX - Happy Cow Bar & Grill
THE FOUNDRY is:
* Blaze Bayley (IRON MAIDEN, WOLFSBANE) - Vocals * Rick Plester (BLACK SYMPHONY, WWIII) - Guitar * John Moyer (DISTURBED, ADRENALINE MOB, QUEENSRŸCHE) - Bass * James Kottak (SCORPIONS, KOTTAK) - Drums * Shawn Austin- Vocals
- Blabbermouth reports MOTÖRHEAD has set "Aftershock" as the title of its new album, tentatively due in September. The follow-up to 2010's "The Wörld Is Yours" was recorded at Maple Sound Studios in Santa Ana, California with longtime producer Cameron Webb and will feature 13 songs, including "Dust And Glass", "Knife", "Going To Mexico", "Lost Woman Blues", "Death Machine" and "Heartbreaker". In other news, it was revealed in the latest issue of U.K.'s Classic Rock magazine that MOTÖRHEAD frontman Lemmy Kilmister recently had a defibrillator fitted — an operation to put a device in his chest to help his heart beat normally — after experiencing "heart problems." MOTÖRHEAD released "The Wörld Is Ours – Vol 2: Anyplace Crazy As Anywhere Else" in Germany on September 21, 2012, three days later in the rest of Europe and October 9, 2012 in North America via UDR/EMI. The follow-up to 2011's "The Wörld Is Ours – Vol 1: Everywhere Further Than Everyplace Else" features the band's 2011 Wacken Open Air headline appearance as well as highlights from Sonisphere (United Kingdom) and Rock In Rio (Brazil) shows. MOTÖRHEAD's latest album, "The Wörld Is Yours", sold 7,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 94 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous effort, "Motörizer", premiered with 6,400 units back in 2008 to debut at No. 82, while 2006's "Kiss Of Death" registered a first-week tally of 3,500. Read more at Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports Amit Sharma of U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine conducted an interview with Philip Anselmo (DOWN, PANTERA) at this year's Download festival, which took place June 14-16 at Donington Park in Leicestershire, United Kingdom. You can now watch the chat below. Released last September, "Down IV Part I - The Purple EP" was DOWN's first in a series of four EPs to be released over the next few years (with a year between EPs), each touching on a different aspect of the band's sound. Asked when fans can expect to hear the follow-up EP, Anselmo said: "We are already putting together riffs, and they're fuckin' awesome, actually. Shit, man… For DOWN, I think we're making, actually, some speedy headway for us, man, so I would think it would be out no later than the first couple of months of 2014." "Down IV Part I - The Purple EP", which heralds the sound of DOWN going back to its roots, with influences from BLACK SABBATH, SAINT VITUS and WITCHFINDER GENERAL, was released on purple vinyl on February 26. "Down IV Part I" sold 12,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 35 on The Billboard 200 chart.
- Blabbermouth reports Merlin Alderslade of Metal Hammer magazine spoke to RISE TO REMAIN, the up-and-coming London, England metalcore outfitfronted by Austin Dickinson — the son of IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson — at this year's Download festival, which took place June 14-16 at Donington Park in Leicestershire, United Kingdom. You can now watch the chat below. RISE TO REMAIN recently entered the studio to begin work on its second album for a late 2013 release. The U.S. version of RISE TO REMAIN's debut CD, "City Of Vultures", was made available in June 2012 and included four bonus tracks. Speaking to Metal Hammer, Austin stated about RISE TO REMAIN's forthcoming effort: "It's done, it's finished. We just have to get it all packaged and recorded properly and stuff like that." He continued: "We've been demoing for about five months now, so it's been a super-, super-long process, but I think that we're finally happy with it. We're finally at this place where every single thing is just sculpted to how we want it. "We didn't wanna be a band that just smashed something out for people to kind of go and pick up and play for, like, two months and then get bored. That sucks, 'cause then you've gota do another one, and if you make the same mistake twice, then [you'll be gone]. I think we'd rather stay at an even kilter and just really release fucking quality metal tunes. "The metal scene is so killer right now, so our competition is so high, and they're our friends too. So we're not trying to kick anyone out, but we are trying to write damn good music." RISE TO REMAIN last year announced the full-time additions of bassist Connor O'Keefe and drummer Adam Lewinon drums to the group's ranks.
- Blabbermouth reports LAMB OF GOD guitarist Mark Morton has recorded a bass solo for UNEARTH's forthcoming sixth studio album. The news was revealed by UNEARTH guitarist Buz McGrath, who posted a photo of Morton (see below) on Twitter. The picture's description read: "Guest bass lead by @MarkDuaneMorton @Unearthofficial" Morton later confirmed the collaboration when he told All Axess he would appear on "about 8 measures" of the album. UNEARTH has signed a North American record deal with eOne Music and European deal with Century Media. The band plans to release its new LP later this year. UNEARTH's latest album, "Darkness In The Light", sold 6,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 72 on The Billboard 200 chart.
- Blabbermouth reports former MISFITS guitarist Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankensteinrecently recorded his debut solo CD, "Abominator", which was available in limited digital release, and as special advance physical copies at DANZIG's recent shows. The effort, which has been called "perhaps the best MISFITS-related record in over a decade," also features Alex Story (CANCERSLUG) on vocals, "Left-Hand" Graham on bass and Dr. Chud (MISFITS) on drums. Doyle recently partnered with Labeled Insane Management and BrainMuscleMedia to create his own label, Monsterman Records, which will "officially" release "Abominator" this summer via INgrooves / Fontana, the leading global independent music distributor. "Abominator" will be available worldwide on iTunes and all digital music services in mid-June, with a direct-to-consumer physical CD release planned for July, and a worldwide retail release to follow.
"Abominator" track listing:
01. Abominator 02. Learn To Bleed 03. Dreamingdeadgirls 04. Headhunter 05. Valley Of Shadows 06. Land Of The Dead 07. Cemeterysexxx 08. Love Like Murder 09. Mark Of The Beast 10. Bloodstains 11. Hope Hell Is Warm
Doyle has just hit the road again with Glenn Danzig to revisit the magic of their legendary early collaborations, this time taking the mayhem to European shores with DANZIG's 25th-anniversary tour. On each date, Doyle takes to the stage with Danzig to run through a set of MISFITS classics, paying homage to their legacy as, arguably, the most influential horror-punk band of all time. For more information, visit www.officialdoyle.com.
- Blabbermouth reports Swedish hard rockers EUROPE have released the following statement: "So! A Swedish band called SABATON has gone platinum in Sweden, selling 40,000 units [of their latest album, 'Carolus Rex']. Nice one, lads! However, the media statement suggesting they are the first Swedish hard rock band ever to do so is a little ill-advised! Or, could it be we were 'punk'd' back in the '80s when presented with platinum discs for 'The Final Countdown'? No, wait! Ashton Kutcher wasn't even born back then! "Ah, the 80's! The days when stonewashed denim was cool, and platinum meant 100,000...!" The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) in Sweden has revised the sales requirements for albums to reach platinum status in the country three times in the last 17 years — from the pre-1996 level of 100,000 to the current 40,000. EUROPE's ninth studio album, "Bag Of Bones", was certified gold in the group's home country for sales in excess of 20,000 copies. According to the band, the CD entered the official chart in Sweden at position No. 2 and "has since then continued to sell steadily." The group added, "'Bag Of Bones' is fast becoming the most successful record since the reunion."
- Blabbermouth reports CANDLEMASS, GIRLSCHOOL, SACRIFICE, PAGAN ALTAR, BARBATOS and WITCH MOUNTAIN have been confirmed for the Noctis VI - Lucifer Rex festival, set to take place September 19-21 at the University Of Calgary's MacEwan Hall Ballroom, Dickens Pub, Lord Nelson's Grill and Vern's Bar in downtown Calgary, Alberta, Canada. At least 20 more bands will be announced over the next few weeks. In addition to the exciting slate of international musical acts, Noctis VI will see the return of the Metal Music Industry Conference at the Ramada Hotel. with speakers and panelists from around the world. Professionally filmed video footage of CANDLEMASS performing its classic song "Solitude" at this year's edition of the Sweden Rock Festival — which was held June 5-8 in Sölvesborg, Sweden — can be seen here. CANDLEMASS played its first show with singer Mats Levén on June 5, 2012 at Debaser Slussen in Stockholm, Sweden. Levén is a former member of YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, THERION and TREAT, who also plays with CANDLEMASS bassist/mainman Leif Edling in KRUX. Also joining the group for CANDLEMASS' recent live performances was keyboard player Per Wiberg (OPETH, SPIRITUAL BEGGARS). CANDLEMASS released its 11th and final album, "Psalms For The Dead", on June 8, 2012 via Napalm Records. The authorized memoir by late GIRLSCHOOL guitarist Bernadette Jean "Kelly" Johnson called "Surviving My Friends: The Official Kelly Johnson Story", is available an e-book at this location. The book was started by Johnson and completed by her friends and family. GIRLSCHOOL issued a re-recorded version of its classic second album, "Hit And Run", complemented by two awesome bonus tracks. Available in Europe since September 2011, "Hit And Run - Revisited" was released in the U.S. on January 24, 2012 via UDR in three versions: a CD digipak, a regular jewel case CD and a vinyl LP with gatefold sleeve.
- Blabbermouth reports British extreme metal pioneers BOLT THROWER have continued their "quality-not-quantity" approach to performing live and that has definitely paid off. In 2010, they played a number of shows and festivals across Europe, and from doing more intimate underground shows (in keeping with their roots), they can also pull off performing to a festival crowd of 30,000 people. That's why, as they reached and moved beyond their 25th anniversary, BOLT THROWER are still at the top of their game. Finally, after only a handful of North American dates in the past few years, limited to Maryland Deathfest, BOLT THROWER recently part in the "Return To Chaos" tour. The band performed seven shows across the U.S. in May. The dates included Maryland Deathfest, Chaos In Tejas, as well as club shows in Pomona, California; Seattle, Washington; Chicago, Illinois and more. Commented the band: "Well, we've overcome the jet lag and have been looking back on the killer time we had in the USA.. "The tour didn't get off to the best of starts, though; we turned up at Baltimore not knowing if we could even play due to severe thunderstorms in the area. Thankfully, we eventually got the green light, but the combination of bad weather, poor organization, a town curfew, etc. meant that we only got to play for a chaotic and under-par 50 minutes. "Luckily the shows that followed were problem free, and we'd like to thank everyone who came along to see us, we were blown away by both the turnout and the reaction each night. "Teaming up again with the legendary AUTOPSY for the two Californian shows was an absolute pleasure. And, of course, we're very chuffed that we finally got to finish our U.S. business with the BENEDICTION hooligans. "Cheers to Timmy the Texas Turd, all the local promoters who all helped make the shows even more enjoyable. "And, as always, massive thanks to our long-suffering crew who continue to help keep the BOLT THROWER machine rolling. "Hopefully it won't be another 20 years 'till we hit U.S. soil again." Capital Chaos TV has uploaded video footage of BOLT THROWER performing the songs "The Killchain" and "Powder Burns" on May 26 at Metro Operahouse in Oakland, California. Check it out below. The last three albums from BOLT THROWER — "Mercenary" (1998), "Honour Valour Pride" (2001) and "Those Once Loyal" (2005) — were reissued on vinyl on October 24, 2011 via Metal Blade Records. All three albums were released as gatefold LPs in colored vinyl, limited to 1,000 units each. BOLT THROWER indefinitely postponed plans to record a new studio album after the band realized that the new stuff it had written "just doesn't match up" to the group's last CD, "Those Once Loyal". "We have a lot of pride in our back catalogue, and we refuse to turn into one of the many bands (like the ones we grew up listening to) who end up releasing crap, and we're also not prepared to compromise by instead releasing an album of cover versions or a 'best-of' album," BOLT THROWER explained in a statement. "Those Once Loyal" entered the German Media Control chart at position No. 76 — the group's highest-charting release in Germany so far. The follow-up to 2001's "Honour, Valour, Pride" was recorded at Andy Faulkner's Sable Rose studios and was the band's first album since the return of original vocalist Karl Willetts as a full-time member.
- Blabbermouth reports Al Jourgensen, six-time Grammy-nominated godfather of industrial metal, will release his band MINISTRY's 13th studio album, "From Beer To Eternity", on September 6 via 13th Planet Records. As fans of the band know, after last year there wasn't going to be another MINISTRY album, but as Jourgensen put it recently, "I had no choice." Sessions for what would become "From Beer To Eternity" began last December at Jourgensen's 13th Planet compound in El Paso, Texas, with Jourgensen (who produced the album, composed the music and wrote the lyrics for all 11 songs), guitarists Mike Scaccia and Sin Quirin, drummer Aaron Rossi and bassist Tony Campos. Rough tracks for 18 songs were finished on December 19, and three days later, the 47-year old Scaccia died from a heart attack he suffered onstage while playing a live show with his band RIGOR MORTIS in Dallas, Texas. Jourgensen, Quirin, Rossi and Campos were absolutely devastated. "We have never, in the history of MINISTRY, ever had a tracking session like that before," states Jourgensen. "Everything went so smoothly, it was surreal. And Mikey was so on fire and inspired, and really a driving force for this record." After returning from Scaccia's funeral in Dallas, and shouldering the weight of grief as well as the desire to honor his fallen comrade, Jourgensen locked himself in his studio with his engineer and co-producer Sammy D'Ambruoso for three excruciating months. "There was no choice," Jourgensen says of the bittersweet production process. "During the tracking sessions, Mikey was smiling and going, 'You know what, Al? This is by far and away the best MINISTRY album we've ever done together. This is awesome.' "I'm super proud of 'From Beer To Eternity', because it's my tribute to Mikey's incredible talent, and I feel it honors him and all of the years we spent together making music." From the schizophrenic opening cut, the sarcasm-dripping, sound effect-laden "Hail To His Majesty (Peasants)" to the thrash-punk riffs andbooming bass reverberations of "Punch In The Face", to "Change Of Luck", a song that Jourgensen wrote directly about Scaccia's death, "From Beer To Eternity" pulls no punches, sounding at once familiar, yet completely fresh and inspired. The release also includes "Side F/X Include Mikey's Middle Finger / TV4", which old-school MINISTRY fans will recognize as a continuum in a series of TV songs that began in the mid-1990s, and underscores Scaccia's birthright as one of the greatest metal guitarists in the world. "PermaWar", the first single from "From Beer To Eternity", will drop digitally via iTunes in late July as a three-track maxi single. Additionally, 13th Planet Records will be releasing special products for "From Beer To Eternity", including a special limited-edition digipak with 13 tracks, a special FanBox edition, as well as vinyl and limited-edition 12-inch picture discs. MINISTRY will support "From Beer To Eternity" with a cavalcade of music videos, off-the-wall making-of digital clips, and an ongoing "dog-blog" commentary by Jourgensen's two Labradors, Lemmy and Ozzy, who were present every step of the way during the recording and mixing of "From Beer To Eternity", and have launched their own Facebook page. But wait, there's more. In addition to "From Beer To Eternity" coming in September, July 9 will see the release of Jourgensen's authorized biography, "Ministry: The Lost Gospels According To Al Jourgensen", penned by Jourgensen with Jon Wiederhorn on DaCapo Press. "Ministry" is a memoir both ugly and captivating, revealing Jourgensen as a man who lived a hard life his own way without making compromises. Then, the two-disc DVD "Ministry: Enjoy the Quiet - Live at Wacken 2012" debuts at the already sold-out Wacken Open Air 2013 festival in Germany August 1-3. Shot live in concert at one of MINISTRY's final shows of the band's 2012 tour at Wacken Open Air in front of 75,000 fans, the DVD features "New World Order", "99 Percenters", "Ghouldiggers", "Psalm 69", "Thieves", "Just One Fix" and "Khyber Pass". Read more at Loudwire, Classic Rock and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports "Carolus Rex", the latest album from Swedish metallers SABATON, has been certified platinum in Sweden for sales in excess of 40,000 copies. This marks the first time a Swedish heavy metal band has achieved this milestone in its home country. (Note: The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry [IFPI] in Sweden has revised the sales requirements for albums to reach platinum status in the country three times in the last 17 years — from the pre-1996 level of 100,000 to the current 40,000.) "This is unbelievable," says SABATON bassist Pär Sundström. "I'm taken [aback] and have trouble finding the words. It's a milestone in our career and shows that everything we ever stood and fought for has been feasible. This has hardly been a bed of roses, but acknowledgement like this means that we can get through anything." SABATON's 2012 "Swedish Empire Tour" was one of the greatest jaunts ever undertaken by a heavy rock band in Sweden. It was part of a two-year-long world tour that will see the band play in excess of 200 gigs in all parts of the globe. It will include two upcoming Swedish shows with IRON MAIDEN (at Malmö Stadium and the newly built 50,000-plus-capacity Friends Arena in Stockholm) and additional dates with IRON MAIDEN before the trek wraps in the U.S. this fall.?? In other news, SABATON has announced that, as a treat to its loyal fan base, it will perform its entire 2008 album, "The Art Of War", which helped break the band outside of Sweden, during SABATON's headlining concert at its own festival, Sabaton Open Air, in Falun in August. And to cap off an amazing 2013, SABATON will release a concert DVD in late autumn featuring footage of the band's 2012 performance at the Przystanek Woodstock festival, where they played in front of over 600,000 people. After this, the band will return to the studio during the winter months to start working on the follow-up to "Carolus Rex".?? "Carolus Rex" was released on May 22, 2012 via Nuclear Blast Records. The lyrics for the CD, which was made available in both English and Swedish, deal with the Swedish Empire (referring to the Kingdom of Sweden between 1561 and 1721). The band previously stated about "Carolus Rex": "For the first time ever we have had an expert to help us out with the theme, the well-known Swedish historian Bengt Liljegren. We have also added some extra time in the studio to find the absolute right sound on 'Carolus Rex', and our producer, Peter Tägtgren, says that this album will mark a brand new standard for how a heavy metal album should sound like!" Liljegren's published works include acclaimed biographies of Adolf Hitler and Karl XII. He also appeared in the popular Swedish TV series "Boston Tea Party". SABATON last year parted ways with guitarists Oskar Montelius and Rikard Sundén, drummer Daniel Mulback and keyboardist Daniel Mÿhr.
- Blabbermouth reports Season Of Mist has announced the signing of Welsh rockers HARK. The band will enter Monnow Valley Studios in Wales later this summer to record its debut full-length album. Led by former TAINT frontman and acclaimed graphic artist Jimbob Isaac, HARK has already released one sold-out seven-inch single and has toured with RED FANG and CLUTCH throughout Europe. Commented Jimbob: "HARK has poured our heart and soul into the formation of the band, as well as the three years of writing and playing together. "Despite being a relatively new band, our history and work in previous bands have given us a sound and ethic that result in a hard-hitting delivery of passion and heaviness. "Season of Mist's enthusiasm for Hark has been most welcome, appreciated and added more fuel to our fire. We're looking forward to working together, and can't wait to unleash the album." You can stream and download HARK's debut EP, "Mythopoeia", using the Bandcamp widget below.
Jimbob Isaac (ex-TAINT) - Guitar, Vocals
Nikolai Ribnikov (ex-WHYTELEAF) - Bass
Simon Bonwick (ex-WHYTELEAF) - Drums
- Blabbermouth reports Little Rock, Arkansas-based death metal band SOUL EMBRACED will release its fifth album, "Mythos", on July 9 via Rottweiler Records. The thought-provoking, spiritually charged power metal CD features guest appearances by Bruce Fitzhugh (LIVING SACRIFICE) and Jeremiah Scott (DEMON HUNTER). The album's first single, "Like A Corpse", is currently available at digital retail outlets worldwide and, for a limited time, can also be downloaded for free on the music-sharing site NoiseTrade. The free download also includes a minute-and-a-half teaser clip for the full album. SOUL EMBRACED, originally a side project of drummer David Sroczynski and William "Rocky" Gray, formed in 1997 and has been decimating the underground metal scene with a caustic, relentless aural assault for over sixteen years. The band released an EP on indie label Blood & Ink Records then went on to release three full-length albums on Solid State Records. Five years have passed since their last album and the band is now poised to explore the next chapter in their development. The current lineup includes Chad Moore (vocals), Rocky Gray (drums), Cody Smith (guitar) and Jon Dunn (bass). Rocky Gray is best known for his drum work with multi-platinum selling artist EVANESCENCE (2003-2007) and as a guitarist for LIVING SACRIFICE (1999–2003, 2005, and 2008–present). As more of a project band than a touring entity, live dates will be sparse in coming months.
- Blabbermouth reports Stockholm, Sweden-based rockers DYNAZTY have issued the following update: "We are extremely proud to present our new bass player and bandmember, Jonathan Olsson! A beast of a bass player, a fantastic person and a great singer! He now completes our lineup and the next step that we take towards a new horizon." A photo of the new DYNAZTY lineup can be seen here. Bassist Joel Fox Apelgren left DYNAZTY in April because he could "no longer give the band 110% of [his] devotion." DYNAZTY released its third album, "Sultans Of Sin", in February 2012. The CD was produced by Peter Tägtgren at The Abyss studio and was the band's first to feature guitarist Mike Lavér, who joined DYNAZTY in November 2011. DYNAZTY took part in last year's edition of Melodifestivalen, the Swedish national final for the Eurovision Song Contest, with the song "Land Of Broken Dreams".
- Blabbermouth reports Italian modern thrashers SAWTHIS have set "Youniverse" as the title of their third album, tentatively due before the end of the year via an as-yet-undisclosed label. The follow-up to 2010's "Egod", which is currently in the mixing stage, "will sound more thrash-oriented and it will be a concept album based on the theme of multiple personality disorder," according to a press release. The CD was once again recorded at Potemkin Studios with producer Paolo Ojetti (INFERNAL POETRY). SAWTHIS recently parted ways with guitarist Andrea Giordano due to musical differences. He has since been replaced by Janos Murri (ex-RESURRECTURIS, DARKSIDE, DEMOLITION), who has already performed with the band on two European tours. "Egod" was released in May 2010 via Scarlet Records.
- Blabbermouth reports 0n June 30, South Carolina-based extreme metal band LECHEROUS NOCTURNE will begin shooting a video for the song "Creation Continuum" with longtime producer Garrett Williams. The track comes off the group's third album, "Behold Almighty Doctrine", which was released on March 19 via Unique Leader Records. The CD was recorded at SoundLab Studio in Lexington, South Carolina with longtime engineer Bob Moore.
"Behold Almighty Doctrine" track listing:
01. Intro 02. Ouroboros Chains 03. Bring The Void 04. Archeopteryx 05. Those Having Been Hidden Away 06. Prelude #2 07. Judgments And Curses 08. Lesions From Vicious Plague 09. Caustic Vertigo 10. Creation Continuum
The "Behold Almighty Doctrine" artwork can be seen here. Vocalist Jason Hohenstein announced his departure from LECHEROUS NOCTURNE in July 2011, telling BLABBERMOUTH.NET in a statement, "I was writing/arranging in preparation of the new record when I was asked to leave." He added, "I did not quit! I want to make that perfectly clear." LECHEROUS NOCTURNE's second album, "The Age of Miracles Has Passed", was released in October 2008 via Unique Leader Records.
"Those Having Been Hidden Away"audio stream:
- Blabbermouth reports Classic Rock editor-in-chief Scott Rowley was interviewed on ITN program "5 News" about BLACK SABBATH's return to the top of the U.K. charts with their long-awaited new album, "13". Check it out below. Also available is a separate video report from Sky News which includes a short interview with Kerrang! magazine deputy editor Simon Young.
"13", the first BLACK SABBATH record in 35 years to feature singer Ozzy Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi and bassist Geezer Butler all playing together, sold 13,000 copies more than the No. 2 entry on the U.K. chart, "BE" by Liam Gallagher's BEADY EYE. The last time SABBATH topped the chart in the U.K. was nearly 43 years ago — in October 1970 — with the band's second LP, "Paranoid". "I'm in shock!" Ozzy Osbourne told OfficialCharts.com. "The success of this album has blown me off my feet. We've never had a record climb the charts so fast!" Ozzy added the band would "probably" release another album but stopped short of saying that it was a sure thing. "We're still revelling in coming back with this," he said. "I don't want to promise anything to anyone. It took us long enough to do this, and we can't wait another 43 years to have another No 1. If it comes to pass and we don't make another record, then I can rest easily knowing we finished things properly with '13'." Details of the album's deluxe edition surfaced on April 19, with the band revealing that the eight-song effort is accompanied by three bonus tracks called "Methademic", "Peace Of Mind" and "Pariah". Several versions of "13" are available for order, including a standard CD, a double CD that includes a second disc of exclusive bonus audio, a heavyweight vinyl album in a gatefold sleeve and the aforementioned "Super Deluxe Box Set", which contains the double CD, the vinyl album, an exclusive DVD documentary on the band's reunion, 13 photographic prints and hand-written lyrics. The drum tracks on the album were laid down by RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE sticksman Brad Wilk following original drummer Bill Ward's decision to bow out of the reunion. Ozzy told an Australian radio station that "13" is "mind-blowing," adding, "It's better than my wildest dreams; it's so good."
SABBATH kicked off its world tour in support of "13"on April 20 in Auckland.
- Blabbermouth reports Metal Blade Records has announced the signing of Monte Pittman, the guitarist known for his work with metal legends PRONG and the illustrious pop star Madonna. A release date for his new solo album will be announced shortly.
Metal Blade Records founder and CEO Brian Slagel comments: "We are so happy to welcome Monte Pittman to the Metal Blade family. He is a tried and true metalhead and has recorded a crushing album! METALLICA producer Flemming Rasmussen produced a devastating metal record with Monte and we could not be happier that we are working together on this!" Pittman adds; "I'm beyond excited to be working with Brian Slagel and all of the wonderful team at Metal Blade. I can't think of anyone I can put my faith and trust in more with my new album and where my career is headed. "Metal Blade's track record has stood the test of time. Brian has been responsible for a majority of bands that have influenced me and gotten me to where I am now. "It's been a dream come true making this album with Flemming Rasmussen. Flemming is a master at recording a band playing together and capturing the sound in the room of everything musically working together. "After we finished tracking, the first person I wanted to play it for was Brian Slagel. Here we go!" Fans in California will have the chance to catch Monte Pittman live as the he brings his acoustic show to Hotel Café in Hollywood and two stops on the Vans Warped Tour 2013, including Mountain View and Ventura (performing on the Acoustic Basement Stage).
- Blabbermouth reports a short short documentary from The Avant/Garde Diaries in which two black kids from Flatbush, Brooklyn — who prefer metal over hip-hop — talk about their mission to rock your socks off as the heavy-metal trio UNLOCKING THE TRUTH can be seen below. "I don't like doing the same things that everybody else is doing. I want to do my own thing," says 12-year-old Malcolm Brickhouse. "We do wanna inspire other people," adds his bandmate, 11-year-old Jarad Dawkins. "Don't let nobody push you down, be free, do what you want to do." In 2007, Brickhouse and Dawkins started a metal band known as TEARS OF BLOOD. They have since joined forces with bassist Alec Atkins in UNLOCKING THE TRUTH, which regularly busks in Times Square, where they say the bucket fills fast.
- Loudwire reports Brian Fair of Shadows Fall talks "Fire From the Sky," upcoming music and Massachusetts music scene
- Diffuser posts 8 artists who have bled for their music
- Classic Rock reports Yes will perform "The Yes Album", "Close To The Edge" and "Going For The One" at 10 shows next spring
- Classic Rock reports Little Angels' Toby Jepson thanks fans as reunion journey ends
- Noisecreep reports Red Hot Chili Peppers and Queens of the Stone Age head up Atlanta's 2013 Music Midtown
- Noisecreep reports Nirvana song title to remain on Aberdeen welcome sign
- Noisecreep reports Kid Rock cranks up Buffalo Springfield protest song for Agit8 campaign
- Noisecreep Battlecross recruit drummer Kevin Talley for summer touring
- Rolling Stone reports John Mayer pairs "Paper Doll" with prancercise clip
- Billboard reports Kings of Leon, Flaming Lips and more to perform at Rock for Oklahoma Benefit Read more at NME
- Billboard reports The National give Grateful Dead tribute album update at Bonnaroo
- NME reports Thom Yorke anti-poverty painting up for auction Read more at Rolling Stone
- NME reports Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist Nick Zinner releases charity single with college bandmates
- Blabbermouth posts video of Herman Li from Dragonforce on how to become "A Shred God"
- Blabbermouth posts photos from "Murder In The Front Row" book on Slayer's Jeff Hanneman
- Blabbermouth posts more video footage of Tel Aviv clinic with Ex-Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo
- Blabbermouth posts video of Clutch's drummer checking in from European tour
- Blabbermouth posts the Rebellious Spirit "Gamble Shot" album trailer
- Blabbermouth posts interviews with Korn's James "Munky" Shaffer, Scott Rockenfield of Queensryche on Geoff Tate problems starting ten years ago (Read more at Classic Rock), Todd La Torre on tossing fan's cellphones at shows, Tommy Thayer of Kiss, Black Star Riders frontman, Cinderella frontman, The Dillinger Escape Plan guitarist on his gear, Nightwish mainman, Watain frontman, Freedom Call frontman, Rage's Victor Smolski on Lingua Mortis Orchestra, Circle II Circle, Children Of Bodom frontman Napalm Death singer and Witherscape producer
Read more quick hits at Classic Rock and Noisecreep