Metallica frontman James Hetfield told Billboard on Wednesday (May 22nd) that the band has "enough material for a record," but explained that its upcoming film, Metallica Through The Never, is the reason they haven't started recording: "I want it to be done yesterday, and you know, this movie is keeping us pretty busy at this point and it's taking a lot of our time and effort. We're having to tour some obscure places to pay for this movie, so we're having to go make some money, so the touring is keeping us from getting in here and finishing the record. Right now the focus is the movie."
- Metallica Through The Never will open on IMAX screens in the U.S. on September 27th, with a wider release following on October 4th. The first trailer for the film surfaced on Wednesday night (May 22nd).
- The movie stars Dane DeHaan has a member of the band's road crew who is sent on a mysterious mission while the group headlines a concert at an arena. The film is said to mix a conventional storyline with concert footage.
- Drummer Lars Ulrich is currently attending the Cannes Film Festival in France, where the movie is being shopped to international distributors.
- Meanwhile, Hetfield also said about the music for the band's 10th studio effort, "We've gone through maybe one-tenth of the material that's on our riffs CDs. We've got enough for an album, we just haven't had enough time to really focus on it and dial in and start whittling it into these masterpieces, hopefully."
- The new Metallica album is not likely to emerge before late 2014 at least, if not later.
- The band will headline its second annual Orion Music + More festival on Belle Island in Detroit on June 8th and 9th, with a lineup including the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Deftones, Silversun Pickups and more.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch the first trailer for Metallica Through The Never!
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Wait a minute -- Metallica has to go out and make some more money? Aren't they kind of set for life at this point?
- But okay, let's give them the benefit of the doubt because movies are super-expensive to make. Is this where they really want to channel their energies?
- If you had a choice -- Metallica movie or Metallica album -- which would you pick?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
ohu sick wrote: "these guys are completely out of touch. Remember when they were a bunch of kids in denim and leather?"
bkallday wrote: "I remember when bands' first priority was making new music. But now thats not where the money is made, so it has changed. It sucks. Bands tour non stop instead."
sharkbyte wrote: "I don't know any fan who would prefer a concert film of old material to an album of new material."
UlverShuggah wrote: "I really couldn't give a s*** if these guys ever put out another album. They're creatively bankrupt - and too rich, too comfortable and surrounded by too many 'Yes Men' to ever record another classic."
Metallica's James Hetfield Says Movie Is Delaying New Album
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock, Noisecreep, Rolling Stone, Billboard and NME
Read more about the trailer at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock, Rolling Stone, Classic Rock, Noisecreep and NME