After Stone Temple Pilots made a surprise appearance at the 2013 KROQ Weenie Roast in Irvine, California on Saturday (May 18th) with Linkin Park's Chester Bennington on lead vocals, the band and Bennington have made it clear that they intend to continue recording and performing together. Bennington told the radio station after the gig, "I grew up listening to these guys. When this opportunity came up, it was just like a no-brainer. We couldn't really plan a tour until tonight because we couldn't let people know what was going on. Now the cat's out of the bag so we're going to go out and make more music and go play more shows and have some fun."
- While STP has not said that Bennington is the band's official new frontman, that appears to be the case.
- Bennington continues to be part of Linkin Park, who are currently working on the follow-up to 2012's Living Things album. Bennington said, "The guys in Linkin Park have been incredibly supportive of me undertaking this project while I've continued to work on new music with LP."
- Stone Temple Pilots, which reformed in 2008 after a six-year hiatus, fired founding singer Scott Weiland in February for undisclosed reasons.
- Weiland launched a solo tour just as STP made its announcement, yet initially insisted that he had not been dismissed.
- STP's surprise 40-minute set on Saturday included a half dozen of the band's hits as well as a brand new song called "Out Of Time" which has been posted online at Soundcloud. The band's last album was a self-titled effort issued in 2010.
CHECK IT OUT: Listen to the studio version of "Out Of Time":
LISTENERS' POLL: Is Chester Bennington a good pick to be the new frontman in STP?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Billboard and Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
zel Lopez wrote: "STP comeback: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"
WillVetterGoodin wrote: "Wow....Did not see that coming... at all."
Robert S Hirst wrote: "let's hope that if Weiland doesn't return, they can do better than this...he does not come near having the voice required for these songs."
Trevyn Pike wrote: "As someone who LOVES Chester, these songs aren't his style at all..."
Icon666 wrote: "I'm not a big fan of Linkin Park, but Chester seems to be a great fit so far from what I've heard. He's talented and will not put the other guys through the ringer with his bulls*** drama. STP 1, Scott 0."
Sgt Hekk wrote: "Goodbye Scott. Another band that let a singer f*** them around for years that is making a solid move, and sounding totally rejuvenated!!!"
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire and Classic Rock