Subscribe to channel
- Blabbermouth reports according to The Local, the sale of IRON MAIDEN's Trooper beer has been halted in Sweden by the country's state-run liquor store monopoly Systembolaget due to legal concerns over the skull and crossbones motif on the label. "There has been a discussion about the label. The alcohol law stipulates how it can look. We therefore don't yet know when it can be launched," Therese Elmgren at Systembolaget told the Aftonbladet newspaper. The label on the 4.8 percent-strength Trooper's packaging is taken from IRON MAIDEN' single "The Trooper", which was released in 1983. "Trooper was the blindingly obvious thing to call it," IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson recently said. "We have a tremendous piece of artwork — it's one of the world's most tattooed images. And it's like Spitfire. It's in the great tradition of British military prowess — well, military disaster in this case." In 2010, Systembolaget suspended sales of the U.S. beer Founders Breakfast Stout over concerns about the use of a child's face on the bottle's front label. More recently, in April 2013, a brewery in Denmark was forced to change the label on its Lust beer after Systembolaget deemed the depiction of a topless women to be too sexy for Sweden. The Trooper beer was officially launched on Thursday (May 9) at Robinsons Brewery in Cheshire, with a reception attended by brewing trade representatives from both the U.K. and internationally. As fans may have read recently, the unprecedented upfront demand for the beer meant Robinsons had to brew three times a day, six days a week for the first time ever in the brewery's 175-year history to cope with pre-orders in excess of 300,000 pints. Robinsons were overwhelmed by the number of enquiries they'd had from all over the world and sent the band a comprehensive listing of whereabouts the interest had been — from a staggering 184 countries. Trooper is now available to order online throughout most of Europe, and Robinsons are working to ensure it will be available to the rest of the world as soon as possible. For updates on when Trooper is coming to a pub, bar or supermarket in your town/country, keep checking www.ironmaidenbeer.com. Read more at Loudwire and NME
- Blabbermouth reports MEGADETH filmed a video for the title track and first single from the band's new album, "Super Collider", on Friday, May 10 in the Los Angeles area. California-based model, actress, singer and songwriter Hunter Elizabeth was cast in the lead role in the clip, which she says is "about a high-school couple still loving each other after all the years after graduation, and at the 10-year reunion, both characters find themselves successful (a model and a mathematician) and still very in love."
A few photos from the set of the "Super Collider" video shoot can be seen here. The track "Super Collider", which was premiered on Full Metal Jackie's nationally syndicated radio metal show on April 20, was released digitally on April 23 via iTunes. "That song kind of came from that 'Symphony Of Destruction' corner of my mind," MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine told Guitar World magazine. "You can't always play aggressive, thrashy stuff. Sometimes those aren't even songs; they're like musical rams. But because I'm not a pop guy, I'm also not really comfortable playing sing-along songs. To me, 'Super Collider' made sense like a normal song — a verse-chorus-verse-chorus kind of thing. It's written the way a real songwriter would write the song, instead of just taking all these musical twists and turns." The "Super Collider" album is scheduled for a June 4 release via Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, which is distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). Horn player Bob Findley — who previously appeared on the track "Silent Scorn" from MEGADETH's 2001 CD, "The World Needs A Hero" — is a featured guest on the song "A House Divided" on the new album. Other tracks set to appear on the effort include "Forget To Remember", "Dance In The Rain", "The Blackest Crow", "Burn", "Kingmaker" and "Don't Turn Your Back", a snippet of which can be streamed at MegadethGame.com. "Super Collider" is MEGADETH's first release since the band's recent split with Roadrunner Records. As previously reported, MEGADETH will guest on the nationally syndicated radio show "Rockline" with host Bob Coburn on Monday, June 17 at 8:30 p.m. PT / 11:30 p.m. ET. Fans are encouraged to speak with MEGADETH by calling 1-800-344-ROCK (7625). The show will be streamed on the "Rockline" web site for two weeks beginning the afternoon after the live broadcast.
- Blabbermouth reports AS I LAY DYING frontman Tim Lambesis' attorney believes his client may have been the victim of a setup in connection with the singer's alleged attempt to hire someone to kill Lambesis' estranged wife. Tim was arrested without incident on Tuesday (May 7) around 2 p.m. at a Barnes & Noble bookstore in Oceanside, California and was ordered held on $3 million bail during his arraignment hearing on Thursday. He faces nine years in state prison if convicted. Prosecutors initially requested that Superior Court Judge Martin Staven set Lambesis' bail at $20 million, saying the singer remains "substantially motivated to kill his wife." Speaking to Artisan News (see video below), Tim's attorney, Anthony Salerno, revealed that Tim's charges were a lot heavier initially, with the potential consequences being life in jail. "He was arrested for conspiracy to commit murder, which carries a life sentence, as well as being booked for soliciting murder," Salerno said. "I won't necessarily get too deep [in the details of] the law surrounding conspiracy, but I came to believe very strongly that there is absolutely no way that he could be even charged with conspiracy, much less convicted of it. [So] one of the first things I did was to reach out directly to the [district attorney] that was assigned to the case and had some conversations with her. And she, in fact, did decide for Tim not to be charged with conspiracy, which was a big victory, 'cause that took a potential life sentence off the table before he was even charged. That's something that jumped out at me right away — that I needed to do that early intervention — so we did that." Salerno also said that Lambesis was originally being held without bail before the attorney was able to intervene. "At the point Tim was first arrested, the Sheriff's Department asked for and received permission to hold him with no bail," he said. "They got that permission from a judge and I knew that that was well in excess of what the bail schedule in San Diego County calls for. So my next order of business was to try to see what we could do to get that bail… well, first of all, to get a bail, and then to get it set as low as possible. That, of course, was what the bail hearing was about [on Thursday]. I was a little bit disappointed; I thought the bail should have been much lower. The scheduled amount for the charge that he ultimately has now is just $250,000. And, in fact, the scheduled amount for even solicitation to commit murder is a million [dollars]; and the judge set it at three million. So I was a little disappointed that it was that high. On the other hand, the D.A. was asking that the bail continued to be set at no bail whatsoever, and then she said — [which] I thought [was] kind of over the top — that as a backup, it ought to be set at $20 million. I think the fact that an earlier judge had said 'no bail' kind of must have influenced our judge, and that's [why] he set the three million. So right now the gameplan is to try to work on getting Tim out at that three million or possibly to have it lowered." The lawyer added that someone may have given false information about Lambesis to authorities in order to "save his own skin." "I would anticipate myself asking for quite a bit of additional discovery, particularly on this person I strongly suspect is a snitch and is an informant for the police and was really creating this whole scenario and sort of setting Tim up," he said. "I believe there's a good probability he may be a police informant. And that information is only available internally with the police department, or in this case the San Diego Sheriff's Department, and through the D.A.'s office, and that's something I'm gonna have to explore as well." He added: "There's one other element to this, too, which is… I don't want to start to make accusations on this one unless I have some more information, but I will point out that Tim's wife's brother, I understand, is a San Diego Sheriff's deputy, and I think I would be remiss if I didn't fully explore that, 'cause that is a litte bit… it's at the bare minimum very coincidental, and it may be more than that." According to the San Diego Sheriff's Department web site, as of Friday afternoon (May 10), Lambesis had yet to post bail one day after pleading not guilty to a charge of solicitation of murder. The singer remains behind bars at a Vista, California detention facility and his next court date is set for June 10. Lambesiswas ordered to wear a GPS monitor and turn in his passport and was warned by the judge that, if he is released from jail, he must stay away from his immediate family.
San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com
- Blabbermouth reports FIGHT OR FLIGHT, the new band featuring DISTURBED guitarist Dan Donegan and drummer Mike Wengren, along with EVANS BLUE singer Dan Chandler, Sean Corcoran of RA on bass and Jeremy Jayson on guitar, is working on a video for its first single, "First Of The Last". The clip is being helmed by multimedia producer/director and music documentarian Chuck Brueckmann, who has previously worked with ALTER BRIDGE and CREED guitarist Mark Tremonti.
A couple of photos from the "First Of The Last" video shoot, the initial scenes for which were filmed late last month, can be seen here. "First Of The Last" will arrive at radio on May 21, with FIGHT OR FLIGHT's debut album, "A Life By Design?", to follow on July 23. Donegan began writing songs on his own last year and approached Chandler about a possible collaboration. The two began emailing music to each other and getting together to write whenever Chandler was in Chicago, where Donegan lives, until they had enough material to record a full album. In a posting on the DISTURBED Facebook page, Donegan writes: "[I] just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to check out mine and Mike's new side-project FIGHT OR FLIGHT! No, this does NOT mean the end of DISTURBED, as David [Draiman, DISTURBED singer] has also made that clear. "We love you the fans that have given us this life and the outlet to express ourselves for many years now. This has just become another extension of us. "I get it, I understand why some of you may be mad that we are all doing other things right now, but let me assure you that all of us are looking forward to the day we return as DISTURBED to show you how much you mean to us. But in the meantime, we are all focused and giving 110% to our individual projects. "Whether you love it or hate it, we all pour our blood, sweat and tears into making music for us and the satisfaction we get from it. We hope you find a connection with it as well … "Music has always been therapeutic for everyone. That’s why we do it. It makes me feel good and any worries go away. It brings me peace in my life and I cannot live without it. "I look forward to hopefully seeing some familiar faces once we hit the road with FIGHT OR FLIGHT and then again with DISTURBED someday!" Donegan told The Pulse Of Radio not long ago that he liked the idea of playing with other musicians. "This whole career with DISTURBED, I've always been jamming with the same people, which has been amazing. But I want to feel that I can actually, you know, just continue to expand and explore, you know, different paths as we progress, hopefully, in the future, maybe if there is another album from us." Donegan said in a statement about the FIGHT OR FLIGHT album, "This is more hard rock. It's got edgy moments, but there's more melody across the board. We had the chance to experiment as well. There are acoustic guitars and some electronics even. It's different all around." Dan Chandler has been the vocalist for EVANS BLUE since 2009, when he replaced original singer Kevin Matisyn. The band's most recent offering was 2012's "Graveyard Of Empires". DISTURBED frontman David Draiman released the self-titled debut album from his new project, DEVICE, last month. The record entered the Billboard album chart No. 11. The act, which also features members of DOPE and EVANESCENCE, is on tour now.
- Blabbermouth reports Jordan Rudess, the keyboardist/Continuum-player/multi-instrumentalist for Grammy-nominated prog rock/metal icons DREAM THEATER, has joined the music technology company Recombinant as senior artist in residence. The company recently released a new interactive music application, JamBandit. As part of his new role, Rudess is creating new songs and custom sounds exclusively for the platform. JamBandit puts the fan in the band, and allows the listener to have a creative experience with the music they are listening to. Rudess says, "The technology inside JamBandit is very exciting and I love working with the guys in the company. It's incredibly intuitive and inspiring for a user to interact with music on JamBandit, so I decided to offer some of my original songs and put them out on this format first, before releasing it in any other more traditional form." Those initial songs include "A Different Sun" and "The Inner Door", both of which are currently available for free at appstore.com/jambandit. Additional songs are available for $.99 inside the app, including "Pocket Change" and "Funk Bandit". Check out the introductory trailer for JamBandit, featuring Rudess, below. In addition to Rudess' new songs, you can enjoy his exclusive custom sounds and jam on them yourself within the app. The first in a series of three Jordan Rudess packs is called "JR Snarling Pack," which is presently available for $.99 as an in-app purchase. JamBandit is free for all iOS devices, and comes preloaded with songs and instruments to get you started. Those include some signature Jordan Rudess instrument sounds as well the music that Rudess created specifically for the app. Find Jordan's music directly from any iOS device by clicking: getintheband.com/jordanrudess. Rudess also recently teamed up with PledgeMusic to launch his next campaign. Through PledgeMusic — a music company offering artists a new music model to take control of their work through their online, hands-on, direct-to-fan music platform — and the support of his fans, Rudess will release brand new music, technology and videos while encouraging fans to participate in the creative process in exciting and unique ways. Rudess has designed a tailored fundraising campaign to raise money to help release his upcoming projects. As a pledger, you will gain access to exclusive content and experiences and PledgeMusicwill keep you informed of the project's status every step of the way.
- Blabbermouth reports legendary drummer Vinny Appice (DIO, BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL) will fill in for Simon Wright (DIO, AC/DC, UFO) on the following DIO DISCIPLES shows in July:
July 18 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada @ The Rockpile July 19 - London, Ontario, Canada @ The Eastside Bar & Grill July 20 - Silver Creek, NY @ Willow Creek Winery DIO DISCIPLES, which pays tribute to legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW, DIO, HEAVEN & HELL) and is fully supported by Dio's widow/manager, Wendy, currently consists of the following musicians:
* Tim "Ripper" Owens (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH) - Vocals * Oni Logan (LYNCH MOB) - Vocals * Craig Goldy (DIO) - Guitar * Bjorn Englen (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN) - Bass * Scott Warren (DIO,HEAVEN & HELL) - Keyboards * Simon Wright (DIO, AC/DC, UFO) – Drums
During an April 2011 appearance on the "All Hail Hair" show on Fightin' Words Radio, Vinny Appice was asked what he thought of DIO DISCIPLES going out on the road and paying tribute to Ronnie James Dio. "I think it's disgusting," he said. "I mean, why are they even doing it? Plus, [Ronnie has] not even been passed away for a year. And, you know… It's kind of… I don't know. It's kind of weird, man. It's weird." Vinny last year teamed up with fellow original DIO members Vivian Campbell (guitar), Jimmy Bain (bass) and Claude Schnell (keyboards), along with singer Andrew Freeman, in a brand new DIO tribute band called LAST IN LINE. Last October, Owens was asked in an interview with "Tales From The Stage Volume 1" author Michael Toney what his reaction was when he first heard that Vivian and Vinny were launching their own DIO tribute band. "I'm a bit shocked," he said. "But I could care less what [Vivian] does. I wish he would have probably done something, I guess, or had good things to say about Ronnie when Ronnie was alive. So it is shocking. It's shocking also that… I'm friends also with Vinny as well, but Vinny pretty much knocked [DIO DISCIPLES] for doing [the same thing]. And from the looks of it, we're definitely doing it for the right reason and we're celebrating Ronnie's legacy. And I think they are as well. It's shocking, but I'm glad, to be honest. You can't do too much of this for Ronnie. I just worry about, and focus on, DIO DISCIPLES, really."
- Blabbermouth reports STRYPER frontman Michael Sweet's autobiography, "Honestly", is "almost finished being edited" and he is due to fly to Florida in June to schedule a release date. There is also a 12-song solo record to go hand in hand with the release of the book. According to Sweet, his "friend and brother," MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine was "kind enough" to write the following blurb/quote for the book: "Sometimes you see someone or something and you think you got it all figured out, just to find you were pretty far off base. That's a sucky feeling. I learned a long time ago not to judge a book by its cover, and as much as I used to think that I am nothing like Michael Sweet, I have come to realize that we both have had a lot of hardships in common; the same trials and tribulations, the same band problems, and some of the same relationship issues. Fortunately for us, we both believe in the same Jesus, and serve the same amazing, loving creator, so it's no wonder that we would both be standing on the same victorious side of life, once all the smoke clears at the end of the fight. I hope you will enjoy his memoirs and come to a new understanding and a new appreciation of Michael Sweet." Sweet previously stated about his upcoming book: "Writing and finishing my autobiography has gone WAY beyond my expectations, good and bad. It's been much more difficult than I could ever imagine yet it's been somewhat therapeutic being able to talk about my life and the past 30+ years of all things STRYPER. I get into everything and share things that may surprise you. I talk about the disfunction in this band, the pain and heartache of being so close to each other that we sometimes hurt each other the most, the ups and downs from our highest point (1987-1988) to our lowest point (1991-1992) and why we were driven to bankruptcy and how we climbed our way back from complete loss and despair. I share my personal pain from considering to give up music altogether to the day I broke the news to the guys that I would be leaving the band and why. From that day forward, I had everything a man could ask for and then, in what seemed like an instant, it was all taken away. "I'm almost 50 yet I feel like I've lived the life of a man who is almost 90. I look back on everything and all I can say is thank you God for allowing me to serve you and for giving me my gift, my life! "'Honestly' will be available soon and I can say from the bottom of my heart, it is brutally honest and my hopes and prayers are that it touches you in some way." Michael's new solo album will be issued via Big3 Records. Guest musicians set to appear on the CD include CHICKENFOOT drummer Kenny Aronoff, FOZZY singer Chris Jericho, WHITESNAKE guitarist Doug Aldrich; Tony Harnell of TNT, and Michael's brother Robert Sweet and STRYPER's Timothy Gaines. Regarding Harnell's appearance on the CD, Sweet previously stated, "I think Tony is truly one of the most underrated singers of all time. He's always been one of my favorites and is an incredibly nice, humble guy to boot. I've always wanted to work with Tony and I knew this would be the perfect song and opportunity to do so. 'Taking On The World Tonight' is very heavy with a combination of old-school riffs and solos yet it's got a very modern, relevant sound as well. It's the best of both worlds!"
- Blabbermouth reports JON OLIVA'S PAIN and SAVATAGE mastermind Jon Oliva will release his first-ever solo album, "Raise The Curtain", on June 5 via AFM Records. The 11-song CD, which contains ideas collected over the course of the last four or five years, was tracked this past winter at Morrisound Studios in Tampa, Florida with producer Tom Morris, with Jon handling laying down nearly all the instrument tracks and vocals himself as well as playing drums on three songs.
"Raise The Curtain" track listing:
01. Raise The Curtain 02. Soul Chaser 03. Ten Years 04. Father Time 05. I Know 06. Big Brother 07. Armageddon 08. Soldier 09. Stalker 10. The Witch 11. Can't Get Away 12. The Truth (bonus track)
Check out the cover artwork here. Commented JON OLIVA'S PAIN drummer/producer Christopher Kinder: "Oliva will be the first to admit that it took one hell of a challenge writing, performing 90% of all the tracks himself and vocals... he is exhausted, for sure." He added: "It's a very interesting and powerful offering. Diverse, emotional, and varying styles of writing and music everywhere. A truly great accomplishment for the mountain king, indeed." Last summer, JON OLIVA'S PAIN toured Europe where it celebrated the 25th anniversary of one of heavy metal's most iconic records, "Hall Of The Mountain King" by SAVATAGE. The band performed the entire album as a special one-time-only treat for the still massive amount of loyal fans, along with songs from the DOCTOR BUTCHER album (by Jon Oliva and Chris Caffery, released in 1995), SAVATAGE and JON OLIVA'S PAIN.
- Blabbermouth reports LEAVES' EYES — the German/Norwegian band formed by ex-THEATRE OF TRAGEDY singer Liv Kristine Espenaes Krull and members of ATROCITY — is mixing its new album, "Symphonies Of The Night", for a late 2013 release via Napalm Records. The CD is being produced by Liv's husband, ATROCITY singer and LEAVES' EYES co-vocalist Alexander Krull, at his Mastersound Studio in Germany. Commented Liv: "We have taken a great inspirational step since the production of 'Meredead', both sound-wise and vocal-wise. "It has been such a pleasure evolving in my singing techniques and knowledge and I thank my band members for giving me an inspirational kick when I needed to gain momentum behind the microphone. "'Symphonies Of The Night' is hauntingly dream-like and heavy to the core!" LEAVES' EYES released a digital-only EP, "Melusine", on December 16, 2011 in Europe and December 20, 2011 in the U.S. via Napalm Records. The five-track EP effort included no less than four previously unreleased songs. LEAVES' EYES' latest album, "Meredead", entered the German Media Control chart at position No. 32. Released on April 22, 2011 in Germany, Austria and Switzerland via Napalm Records, the effort was made available exclusively as limited-edition mediabook CD, including bonus track and bonus DVD "Live At The Metal Female Voices Fest", strictly limited-edition deluxe box set and regular jewel case.
- Blabbermouth reports Polish death metal veterans VADER will enter the studio in November to begin recording their new album for an early 2014 release. Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Abandon All Hope", "Bring Them To Me" and "Infernal Poetry". VADER's latest album, "Welcome To The Morbid Reich", was released in Europe on August 12, 2011 and in North America on September 13, 2011 via Nuclear Blast Records. The effort was recorded at Hertz Studio in Bialystok, Poland and features the cover artwork of Zbigniew Bielak (DESTRÖYER 666, WATAIN). The band laid down a total of 12 songs for the CD, which was mixed and mastered in May 2011.
- Loudwire reports Rob Zombie’s musical past mined for "Classic Albums Collection"
- Loudwire reports Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready says new album "Way Better Than Backspacer"
- Classic Rock reports Voodoo Vegas win their battle of the new British bands
- Classic Rock posts the music video for "Butternut" from Hugh Bob & The Hustle
- Billboard reports "Great Gatsby" soundtrack selling big, heading for No. 2 on Billboard 200 Read more at Rolling Stone and NME
- NME reports Death Grips reveal they're writing film and working on new album
- NME reports Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig: "American politics just stresses me out"
- NME reports Camden Council give go-ahead for Amy Winehouse tribute statue
- Blabbermouth posts the trailer for Whitesake's "Made In Britain/The World Record"
- Blabbermouth posts new music videos from Pierce The Bride - "Bulls In The Bronx"
Return to previous page
Send to a friend
MTV's Daily Video