The Rolling Stones officially kick off their 2013 50 & Counting tour dates tonight (May 3rd) at Los Angeles' Staples Center. The band -- Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, and Ron Wood -- will be joined each night by special guest, former Stones guitarist Mick Taylor, who'll sit in with the band for a few numbers.
After more than 50 years of performing live, Mick Jagger has learned how to read an audience within minutes of hitting the stage every night: "The audience is, like, very enthusiastic, or maybe medium enthusiastic, or they seem a bit tired, or they've been in the heat all day. And you can tell from their reaction in the first few minutes how the audience is gonna be, and how you should approach the mood of the concert. You watch them and you listen. And also, you have to hear how the sound is. Sometimes, it's, like, a good balance onstage -- sometimes it's not, and you have to adjust things and you tell the sound guy, 'That's too loud . . . that's not loud enough.' And how is the band playing? Are they kind of playing well straight away, or are they a little bit lackadaisical -- or whatever. So, y'know, that first five minutes is really key."
- Keith Richards told us that with all of the Stones willing and ready to work, he doesn't see any end in sight for them: "There's this feeling that, it is a collective feeling, that you still have something to do and there's loads of people (who) want to see it, and you say 'Wait, let's see how far it can go.' I mean, I have no answer except we'll go on trying to find out how far it can go."
- The Rolling Stones tour dates (subject to change):
May 3 - Los Angeles - Staples Center
May 5 - Oakland, CA - Oracle Arena
May 8 - San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion
May 11 - Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Garden Arena
May 15, 18 - Anaheim, CA - Honda Center
May 20 - Los Angeles - Staples Center
May 25 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre
May 28, 31 - Chicago, IL - United Center
June 3 - Chicago, IL - United Center
June 6 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre
June 9 - Montreal, QC - Bell Centre
June 12, 14 - Boston, MA - TD North Garden
June 14 - Boston, MA - TD North Garden
June 18, 21 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
June 29 - Pilton, England - Glastonbury Festival at Worthy Farm
July 6, 13 - London, England - Hyde Park
- The Rolling Stones will release their career-spanning documentary Crossfire Hurricane on DVD and Blu-ray on May 21st.
- The film, which was directed and compiled by Brett Morgen, premiered last year on HBO and features never before seen footage of the band spanning their 50 year career.
- Crossfire Hurricane features newly conducted interviews with past and present band members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood, Bill Wyman, and Mick Taylor. Late co-founder Brian Jones is featured through archival interviews.
CHECK IT OUT: The Stones with Mick Taylor on December 15th, 2012 performing "Midnight Rambler" live in Newark:
Keith Richards Says Rolling Stones Ready To See How Far They Can Go
Mick Jagger On His First Five Minutes On Stage
NME reports The Rolling Stones fail to sell out high price tickets in LA