Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich said in a new interview with South African news outlet Channel 24 that he doesn't expect the band's next album to come out next year, explaining, "It would surprise me if the next full-length Metallica record would come out before 2015. It takes us a while to make records, and we're also so busy with so many other things. But we'll get around to it eventually."
The band, who were in South Africa for one concert in Johannesburg and two shows in Cape Town, have alternated in the past year or so between writing sessions and short bouts of live work. Ulrich told us that this is the way Metallica prefers to schedule things at this stage: "You know, Metallica, in order for it to be true and pure and honest, has to be fun. And so the days of, you know, writing for a year and then recording for a year and then going on the road for three years -- those kind of endlessly long cycles -- they're just behind us. I don't think we have the stamina to do anything for those elongated periods of time any longer."
- Ulrich also told Channel 24 that having children all around the same time helped give the members of Metallica a different outlook on priorities. He said, "I think some of the things about the way you relate to your children and put your children first, you learn to, kind of, put your own needs secondary. And I think the fact that we all had kids at the same time helped instill that in us. And so you try to, sort of, sometimes just put your own needs second and learn to trust that you can go with somebody else's thought and opinion."
- Metallica's last studio album, Death Magnetic, arrived in 2008, although the group did issue four tracks left over from those sessions at the end of 2011.
- Bassist Robert Trujillo, meanwhile, told AllAfrica.com that the band is "working on new songs," adding, "The ideas that I have been hearing and have been a part of, to me are very, very exciting and I see us making a great album. I feel in my heart that we are going to do something special."
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Lars' interview with Channel 24 in South Africa:
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Does it bother you that it takes Metallica so long to put an album out?
- Have you been disappointed in the last few, especially because of the long waits?
- Metallica has put out just four studio albums in the past 20 years. Is that way too low an output?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Loudwire -- agree or not?
Cody Pechart wrote: "If you're a true fan you won't really care when it comes out. It comes out when it comes out and its still Metallica."
Keith Mize wrote: "f*** metallicrap sellouts..your music sucks after and justice for all. haven't spent money on them since and don't plan to so WHO F***ING CARES!!!!"
Ryan Kenealy wrote: "I personally think its great they put family first. I know their new album will be awesome as for you metallia bashers, F*** YOU They still put out stuff that rocks."
Jennifer Torrez wrote: "It's not unusual for Metallica to take this long to release an album. The question is, will it be a good one?"
Mark Burgess wrote: "Wouldnt be so bad IF it's a good Metallica album. Most fans have been disappointed with their last few."
Metallica's Lars Ulrich On Doing Things In Shorter Amounts Of Time
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock and Classic Rock
Check out an interview with bassist Rob Trujillo on next album at Blabbermouth
Blabbermouth posts video of Metallica's frontman discussing the state of cars