Subscribe to channel
- Blabbermouth reports Brian Thomas Tichy and his partner Joe Sutton have decided to bring their John Bonham celebration, "Bonzo Bash", to New York and New Jersey for three shows commemorating the life of rock's ultimate drummer. The shows have been booked on May 30, May 31 and June 1 to pay tribute to John Henry Bonham on and around what would have been his 65th birthday. Since the first epic/never done before Bonzo Bash ("The Groove Remains The Same") on September 25, 2010, which brought 18 of the world's best drummers together on one drum kit in West Hollywood, Tichy and Sutton have done a total of five Bonzo Bashes, with each one gaining more momentum and much-deserved attention. With a list that is far too long to include here, it should be noted that 50 drummers and 30 guests have performed over 100 songs through the course of these marathon shows! The last Bonzo Bash, on January 24, the most-talked-about show at the NAMM music convention, sold out and a second night could have been added! 30 drummers played with a total of 52 performers over the course of 5 hours! Tichy said: "I had this idea back in 2010 when one day it occurred to me that John Bonham and LED ZEPPELIN were the only band I had never stopped listening to for over 30 years. The idea literally came to me in that instant. I was going to go for a backyard party or a kegger in a rehearsal room, but then figured if all these drummers actually get together and make it a "thing," it should be made available for people to see so I talked to promoter Joe Sutton, a Zep Head himself, who happened to have the exact night on hold at Key Club and that was that! "The concept is simple: each drummer chooses his or her favorite LED ZEPPELIN song and plays it on an amber acrylic drum kit with house band THE MOBY DICKS. This coming together of the world's best drummers also brings with it an undeniable, communal spirit that is very hard to find at any other type of rock show. We all have a great time as it's all about celebrating the amazing drumming of John Bonham and his timeless impact. The energy is thick, the egoless vibes prevail and we all walk away with great memories! I've never seen so many smiling faces at a rock show! "People constantly ask for us to take this juggernaut on the road but in theory, it's not unlike a river crossing of wildebeests during migration season! But, by going to a city like New York with my home state New Jersey next door and inviting the best drummers in the area, it became apparent that we may be able to pull this off after all! "So, grab a couple tickets and get dazzled by a great house band and one of the most unique shows you'll ever see featuring some of the world's best drummers around!"
Thursday, May 30, The Gramercy, New York City
Friday, May 31, Revolution, Amityville, Long Island, New York
Saturday, June 1, Bergan PAC, Englewood, New Jersey
(appearance information goes by NYC, LI and/or NJ)
* Carmine Appice (drum legend, co-hosting ONLY) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Michael Cartellone (LYNYRD SKYNYRD, DAMN YANKEES) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Liberty Devitto (BILLY JOEL) LI/ NJ
* Joe Franco (GOOD RATS, TWISTED SISTER, WIDOWMAKER) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Jerry Gaskill (KING'S X) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Jojo Mayer (NERVE) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Johnny Kelly (DANZIG, TYPE O NEGATIVE) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Jonathan Mover (ARETHA FRANKLIN, JOE SATRIANI) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* A.J. Pero (TWISTED SISTER) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Mike Portnoy (ADRENALINE MOB, WINERY DOGS, DREAM THEATER) NJ
* Thommy Price (JOAN JETT, BILLY IDOL) (NYC)
* Van Romaine (STEVE MORSE) (LI, NJ)
* Bobby Rondinelli (RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Matt Starr (ACE FREHLEY, BURNING RAIN) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Chad Szeliga (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY/ BREAKING BENJAMIN) (NJ)
* Brian Tichy (WHITESNAKE, FOREIGNER, S.U.N.) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Steven Wolf (ALICIA KEYS, PINK, BRITNEY SPEARS) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Russell Allen (ADRENALINE MOB, TRED) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Randy Jackson (ZEBRA) (NYC)
* Sass Jordan (S.U.N.) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Mike Orlando (ADRENALINE MOB, TRED) (NYC, LI, NJ)
* Eddie Trunk ("That Metal Show") (Hosting NJ)
***Many more drummers and special guests to be announced!***
THE MOBY DICKS:
* Rob Clores (BLACK CROWES, ENRIQUE IGLESIAS) - Keyboards (East Coast Moby Dick/Special Guest)
* John "JD" DeServio (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, C.O.P.) - Bass (East Coast Moby Dick/Special Guest)
* Chas West (BONHAM, LYNCH MOB) - Vocals (Moby Dick)
* Brent Woods (VINCE NEIL, SEBASTIAN BACH, BRENTWOOD FOREST) - Guitar (Moby Dick)
- Blabbermouth reports an updated version of VH1's "Behind The Music" documentary on DEEP PURPLE, "Behind The Music Remastered: Deep Purple", will premiere on VH1 Classic in the U.S. on Saturday, April 27 at 9:00 p.m. EST. Show description: "DEEP PURPLE were true rock 'n' roll: outrageous, bold, daring. Despite their limited success with the American mainstream, DEEP PURPLE fans define the band as being one of the most important rock groups in music. They join BLACK SABBATH and LED ZEPPELIN in being one of the pioneers of hard rock and heavy metal, and their memorable riffs and classic songs are still in the hearts of metal fans today. METALLICA's Lars Ulrich, bandmembers Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Ian Paice, Steve Morse, Glenn Hughes, and many more lend their voice to tell the story of this epic rock band." A preview clip from "Behind The Music Remastered: Deep Purple" can be seen below. "Now What?!", the 19th studio album from DEEP PURPLE, will be released next week via earMUSIC, the Hamburg, Germany-based international rock label which is part of Edel Group. "Now What?!" will also be released in a limited quantity with a bonus track and a bonus DVD featuring DEEP PURPLE in conversation plus additional audio material. This edition will be available in a digipak with a cut out front cover. "Now What?!" will also be released as double vinyl LP containing a bonus track, as in the limited-edition CD. After various songwriting sessions in Europe, the band recorded and mixed the album in Nashville, Tennessee with producer Bob Ezrin (KISS, PINK FLOYD, PETER GABRIEL, ALICE COOPER, KANSAS). The CD contain 11 tracks, including "Out Of Hand", "Weirdistan", "Uncommon Man" and "Above And Beyond". The latter song references the band's late keyboard player, Jon Lord, in the lyric "Souls having touched are forever entwined."
- Blabbermouth reports Former ANTHRAX singer Dan Nelson has launched a new Long Island, New York-based alternative rock band called HAWKS OF METROPOLIS. Joining Nelson in the group are drummer John Joseph Cina and bassist Dan "Shaggy" Hoffman. The debut HAWKS OF METROPOLIS four-song EP is now available for streaming in its entirety using the Bandcamp player below.
The track listing for the effort is as follows:
01. Field Of Gray (03:17)
02. Empty Proverbs (06:17)
03. Imaginary Plane (03:13)
04. Silhouette Of The Broken (04:14)
HAWKS OF METROPOLIS is:
Dan Nelson - Lead Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards
John Joseph Cina - Drums, Percussion, Backing Vocals
Dan "Shaggy" Hoffman - Bass, Backing Vocals
Nelson last year settled a lawsuit he filed against ANTHRAX over the fallout from his departure from the veteran metal group. Details of the settlement were not made public. Nelson, who was in ANTHRAX for nearly two years — from late 2007 until July 2009 — filed a lawsuit in November 2011 claiming that Charlie Benante (drums), Frank Bello (bass) and Scott Ian (guitar) falsely stated in "numerous interviews" that he had "abruptly resigned" after getting sick, forcing a cancelation of a tour. The $2.65-million suit also alleged that Benante told BLABBERMOUTH.NET that Nelson "was a bully." The Long Island native said his ex-bandmates' "intentional defamation" has caused him a loss of income and damaged his reputation.
- Blabbermouth reports DOWN AMONG THE DEAD MEN, the new musical project from the minds of Rogga Johansson and Dave Ingram, is working on material for its full-length debut, to be released later in the year via Cyclone Empire Records. Dave is well known from his time as vocalist for two of England’s mightiest metal legends, BOLT THROWER and BENEDICTION, along with his Danish band DOWNLORD and his current two online radio shows, "Metal Breakfast Radio" and "Lambert's Basement". Rogga is equally legendary, with multiple bands under his belt, including PAGANIZER, RIBSPREADER, FONDLECORPSE, HUMANITY DELETE and THE GROTESQUERY, to name but a few. Joining them are Rogga's fellow PAGANIZER and RIBSPREADER members, Dennis Blomberg (guitar) and Brynjar Helgetun (drums). DOWN AMONG THE DEAD MEN's musical style has been specified as crust-riddled punk with a definite death metal edge. For more information, go to this location.
- Blabbermouth reports SONS OF SEASONS — the progressive/symphonic metal band led by keyboardist/guitarist Oliver Palotai (KAMELOT, DORO) — has parted ways with singer Henning Basse. The group states: "The musical and professional plans have been going into different directions since a while so that we finally made this decision in mutual agreement. We wish Henning good luck in the future and will begin working on the upcoming album these days." SONS OF SEASONS' sophomore album, "Magnisphyricon", was released in April 2011 via Napalm Records. Palotai previously stated about the CD: "I guess many second albums mean a big step forward for most bands. We've also learned so much during the production of [SONS OF SEASONS' 2009 debut] 'Gods Of Vermin' and afterwards, and all this influenced the successor big time… The result is what we were aiming for: More than one hour of dark symphonic metal, strong melodies and a reflection of our artists' soul, what we are, what we've absorbed in the past two years, what we wanted to achieve." According to a press release, SONS OF SEASONS "performs the difficult feat of balancing technical prowess with memorable melodies. The powerful and lively production completes the listening experience and gives the tracks their crystal-clear quality. 'Magnisphyricon' is a profound and multifaceted melodic symphonic metal album that will whisk you away to a breathtaking sound universe."
- Blabbermouth reports Swedish progressive/experimental metallers THERION will take their upcoming rock opera on the road in Europe December. Support on the trek will come from ARKONA, THE DEVIL and SOUND STORM. Comments THERION mastermind Christofer Johnsson: "When announcing that we will be working on a rock opera for some years, we were met with many deep sighs as the original plan was to stay off touring completely and only do a few festivals once in a while (to not completely lose contact with the fans meanwhile). I've learnt over the years that it's better to focus on one thing and not interrupt it with a lot of other types of activities. I am, however, not unable to change my mind if there is a good reason for it. "We are not supposed to start working properly on the rock opera until the autumn, but we have cheated a bit and already started a bit. We have discovered that the possible musical directions are many and after a while the idea to test them on an audience was born. "Unlike a regular THERION album where we do what we wanna do and record buyers simply can like or not like it, this is a much larger project and we are dependent on making something that really appeal to people in a broader sense. "The idea of spending several years on something that may not launch fully due to being too inaccessible vs. production expenses is not appealing at all. Also, after 25 years of doing whatever we wanted, it's a real challenge and a new experience to try to work in a certain direction intentionally. So we need guinea pigs to test the stuff on to see how we are doing. That's where you guys come in. "So we will be doing a couple of shows where we will perform a few pieces of what we have so far and see the reactions, if we are going in the right direction or if we need to get back to the drawing desk again. We will also reveal the concept of the rock opera then. "While being on the road with all the gear hooked up on stage, we will, of course, take the opportunity to blow off a set list with old classics at the same time."
THERION "rock opera" tour dates:
Dec. 06 - Studio - Krakow, Poland
Dec. 07 - Stodola - Warsaw, Poland
Dec. 08 - Eter - Wroclaw, Poland
Dec. 10 - Club 22 - Budapest, Hungary
Dec. 11 - Szene - Vienna, Austria
Dec. 12 - Fleda - Brno, Czech republic
Dec. 13 - F Haus - Jena, Germany
Dec. 14 - Effenaar - Eindhoven, Holland
Dec. 15 - Le Docks - Lausanne, Switzerland
Dec. 17 - RnR Arena - Romangnano, Italy
Dec. 18 - Z7 - Pratteln, Switzerland
Dec. 19 - Trabendo - Paris, France
Dec. 20 - Islington - London, UK
Dec. 21 - Harmonie - Leeuwarden, Holland
Dec. 22 - Batschkapp - Frankfurt, Germany
THERION last year celebrated its 25th anniversary with the release of a new album, "Les Fleurs Du Mal". The band signed a licensing deal with End Of The Light Records to make the CD available in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. The "Les Fleurs Du Mal" title refers to Charles Baudelaire's (French author and poet 1821 - 1867) famous poem collection "Flowers Of Evil" ("Les Fleurs Du Mal" in French) that caused such an upset of emotions in France that the author was brought to court and got fined for "insulting the public" with six of the poems, that remained forbidden in France until 1949 when the ban was finally lifted. The spirit of the project is a tribute to Baudelaire, and is imbued into both music and artwork.
- Blabbermouth reports guitarist Grégory "Greg" Rouvière has left the Marseille, France-based metalcore band ETHS. He says in a statement: "Due to my injury and a couple of personal issues, I decided to put my musical career on a hiatus. "I will stay close to the band, because we are friends above all, but I had to make that decision even if it breaks my heart. "I count on all of you to keep on supporting ETHS, especially since the recent induction of Rachel brings the highest hopes for the future. "Thank you all for those wonderful memories I'll cherish forever." Added the remaining members of ETHS: "We wish Greg all the best in his future endeavors. We will never forget the great times we had together and hope for that hiatus to be short-lived. "Greg will not be replaced and ETHS is now a four-piece band." Singer Rachel Aspe made her live debut with ETHS on April 10 at Le Ninkasi Kao in Lyon, France. Fan-filmed video footage of the concert can be seen below. "I am very proud to be a part of ETHS," Rachel said in a statement upcoming joining the band. "I have been a fan of the group for years and it is a real honor for me to find myself singing the songs that have I listened to for so long." ETHS last year recruited Virginie Goncalves (KELLS) and Nelly Wood-Hasselhoff to handle lead vocals at the group's shows following the departure of Candice Clot. "We are delighted to welcome Rachel to the group," said ETHS. "She is a great girl with an amazing voice! "Thank you, Virginie and Nelly, for helping us out on stage in recent months. "A new chapter in the career of ETHS is about to be written." Aspe made headlines in France last November when she performed the SYBREED song "Emma-0" on an episode of "La France À Un Incroyable Talent", the French reality television series which is part of the global British "Got Talent" franchise. Her death metal vocal styling stunned the judges and crowd before going viral and being seen by millions of people. A member of the melodic death metal band DIVIDEAD, she also made a guest appearance on the latest KERÍON CD entitled "Cloudriders" on the track "Fireblast". Clot played her final show as a member of ETHS on October 13, 2012 at L'Arcade in Notre-Dame-de-Gravenchon, France. ETHS' third album, "III", was released on April 6, 2012 via Season Of Mist. The CD was recorded at Studio Fredman in Gothenburg, Sweden with producer Fredrik Nordström, who has previously worked with AT THE GATES, IN FLAMES, DARK TRANQUILLITY, ARCH ENEMY, SOILWORK and BRING ME THE HORIZON, among others.
- Loudwire reports Slash replaces Stone Sour on 2013 Rock Fest bill
- Loudwire wants to know your favorite Queensryche "Operation: Mindcrime" song
- Loudwire reports Motley Crue’s Tommy Lee asks Alberta’s premier to cancel Calgary Stampede Chuckwagon races
- Loudwire posts metal baby unleashes best wail
- Classic Rock posts video from Dio's "Sacred Heart live in 1986"
- Classic Rock posts the music video premiere of "Signal Fire" by Dan Reed
- Rolling Stone reports Pussy Riot's Nadezhda Tolokonnikova denied parole. Read more at NME
- Rolling Stone reports Iron and Wine bring "Grace for Saints and Ramblers" to "Fallon"
- Blabbermouth posts video of Lacuna Coil's Biazzi talks about signature Maus Signature C-7 Guitar
- Blabbermouth posts video of Nergal takes "Behemoth Bike" for a test ride
- Blabbermouth posts video of Silenzium covering "Shedding Skin" by Pantera
- Blabbermouth posts new music videos from Kvelertak - "Kvelertak"
- Blabbermouth posts performance footage from Device in Dallas and Stone Sour performing Black Sabbath classic in Nashville
Return to previous page
Send to a friend
MTV's Daily Video
Between the Bu..