Alice In Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell recently told Rolling Stone that the band's new album, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, is "a unique record that's completely different from anything we ever did," adding, "The band is moving ahead in new territory that we haven't been to before, but we haven't lost our identity." We asked Cantrell to talk more about the band's evolution on its fifth studio effort: "The cool thing about record is it's a snapshot of time, of that group of individuals. And when you line up all of those records back to back, you can see where the band changes, evolves, you can maybe feel what they're going through, you know, and I think you could probably say that with all of our records. You can get a pretty good snapshot of what's going on there and, you know, we're in a different place now."
- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is due out on May 14th.
- Cantrell told Revolver magazine that the title track's lyrics take on the beliefs of certain organized religions, saying, "What I've seen is the most basic message to most faith systems is in contradiction with how it gets applied . . . It always amazes me that some of the most hateful and hurtful things are done in the name of some sort of belief system."
- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is Alice In Chains' second with William DuVall on vocals. It follows up 2009's Black Gives Way To Blue, the group's first all-new collection of material in 14 years and first since the 2002 death of original singer Layne Staley.
- Alice In Chains will hit the road on a spring trek that starts on April 25th in Miami Beach and includes headlining slots at the Rocklahoma, Carolina Rebellion, Welcome To Rockville and Rock On The Range festivals.
- A person going by the online handle "TheSorceressKnight" at Blabbermouth has unveiled two additional images hidden in the cover artwork for the album.
- When loaded into Photoshop, the main picture of a dinosaur skull reveals first a mirror image of that photo, and then underneath both what looks like a skull belonging to a demon or devil.
CHECK IT OUT:
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
iceolate wrote: "Eager to hear the new album but that title is just dumb."
RighteousAct666 wrote: "S***ty artwork, s***ty album title. Like the song and video for Hollow though. I'm sure the album has some great tracks."
BRSU wrote: "True or just a made up thing, its still pretty neat. Nice job TheSorceressKnight!"
Jubijuju wrote: "it's cooler than the regular cover. Title is still corny, but if the music is killer, then who cares?"
Jerry Cantrell On Alice In Chains' Evolution
Read more at Rolling Stone
Check out their new song "Stone" at Blabbermouth and Loudwire