AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams has told BackstageAxxess.com in a new interview that guitarists Malcolm and Angus Young are currently writing songs for the legendary Australian band's next album. But Williams said that there's still a long way to go, explaining, "(There is) nothing in the works right now (as far as recording). We're still getting over the last tour, so we're just hanging out and doing stuff. The guys are writing material and when they've got some stuff together, they'll give us a holler."
Asked how the band's creative process works, Williams said, "(Angus and Malcolm) get a bunch of ideas together. Some are more together than others -- and then we'll all hit the studio or a little rehearsal room and we'll kick it around with a producer. And then we get in a studio and record, and that's kind of how it runs."
- AC/DC's last album, Black Ice, was released in 2008 and was followed by a nearly two-year world tour.
- Malcolm Young told Classic Rock magazine last year, "I've been doing some jamming on some song ideas but I do that all the time, as do the rest of the band . . . I think we need a couple of years to recuperate and work on it a bit more."
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Cliff Williams' interview with BackstageAxxess.com:
DID YOU KNOW??
- AC/DC finally made its music available at iTunes last November, putting every studio, live and compilation album, soundtrack contribution and box set online in digital form.
- AC/DC was one of the last major acts, along with Tool, Garth Brooks, Kid Rock and a handful of others, to resist putting its music on iTunes.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Has AC/DC earned the right at this point to take its sweet time making records?
- Should the band even bother at this point, since it seems to take them so long?
- Would you be happy going to see them play the old hits over and over even if they didn't have new material to play?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
pete00000 wrote: "Just get out on the road already! There is so much material that has not been played in decades. They do not even need a new album to create a new show."
SnarfSnarf wrote: "They could tour for the rest of their natural lives and beyond daily without even releasing an album ever again."
Furywhip wrote: "A new album is unnecessary. One more worldwide tour and then call it a day."
astroboy wrote: "No matter how i love those guys, i hope they won't tour or deliver a new album. They just are too old for it now. I don't see how Brian Johnson born in 1947 will manage to endure another world tour. AC/DC is the f***ing greatest and deserves to retire on a high note without the farewell tour bulls***."
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire and Ultimate Classic Rock