- Blabbermouth reports a young girl was reportedly horribly burned and disfigured earlier today (Sunday, February 24) after a member of the audience at the Soundwave festival in Sydney smuggled in a magnesium flare and ignited it in the middle of the crowd during BRING ME THE HORIZON's performance. According to The Australian, the woman underwent emergency treatment after sustaining burns to her forearm. It has also been reported that a similar incident took place during METALLICA's closing set on the main stage. That flare, however, is not believed to have caused any injuries. Promoter AJ Maddah is calling for action from Soundwave attendees and is offering a reward to anyone can identify the perpetrators. "If anyone can correctly identify this son of a bitch, I will shower you with so much tickets, backstage and cash, you won't know what to do," he said. He is also asking punters to assist in finding the person who lit the flare. “If you see anyone with a lit flare please take their photo and tweet to me so I can hand to police.” A 23-year-old man was critically injured in an accident during last year's Soundwave festival at Brisbane's RNA Showgrounds. He reportedly underwent life-saving surgery after he suffered massive head injuries caused by a five-meter fall from the top of a staircase at the exhibition hall. Read more at Loudwire and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports for the fourth consecutive year, Kiss Coffeehouse was honored in the "Best Of The Grand Strand" competition (in the Specialty Food & Drink - Best Coffee Shop category) in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Over 56,000-plus total votes were cast by both locals and tourists alike, and 1,000-plus businesses competed for best-of honors in 68 unique, and special categories. "Best Of The Grand Strand" is an annual competition sponsored by Myrtle Beach's local NBC affiliate, WMBF-TV. The Grand Strand is a 60-plus-mile stretch of ocean front/beach along both the North and South Carolina coastlines. The Kiss Coffeehouse is a specialty coffee retailer operating at Broadway at the Beach, an entertainment complex in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Its theme revolves around the band KISS, who own the franchise. A number of items from KISS' stage shows, such as costumes, are also on display at the establishment. The Kiss Coffeehouse, which opened to huge crowds in the summer of 2006, features signature KISS coffees, including Kiss Army Blend and French Kiss Vanilla, the Kiss Frozen Rockuccino, cookies, brownies and other sinful sweets. The grand opening of the store was attended by founding KISS bandmembers Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. On July 9, 2006, Lisa-Holly Friedman and Ronald K Marukawa (two longtime KISS fans) were married on the premises, with Paul Stanley telephoning during the proceedings to wish them well.
- Blabbermouth reports former OZZY OSBOURNE bassist Bob Daisley is putting the finishing touches on his memoir, "For Facts Sake!", which he promises will explain his side of the story of the split with the legendary BLACK SABBATH singer. According to Daisley, he is "working on photo placement now" and the book "will be ready this year." In a 2012 interview with Rock Cellar Magazine, Daisley revealed that the 30th-anniversary remastered reissues of Osbourne's classic early albums, 1980's "Blizzard Of Ozz" and 1981's "Diary Of A Madman", which came with a box set of previously unreleased live recordings, a coffee table book and other goodies, could have packed much more material than what actually made the release. "There'd been talk about it during 2010, and it was then that I offered to supply tapes of our rehearsals and writing sessions, to go as proper bonus material," Daisley said. "And I just said that I wanted a royalty out of it, because it's my stuff. But they wouldn't do it because they didn't want to give me a royalty — they just wanted to buy it. "So no agreement was made, and as a result the bonus material in the box set is minimal, which is unfortunate because I know the fans want to hear the stuff that I've got — recordings of the writing sessions, rehearsals and the songs taking shape. But the Osbournes wouldn't come to the table, y'know. I didn't even ask for an equal royalty, it was just a small royalty I wanted because it's my stuff…" Daisley added that he had "literally hours and hours of tapes I've got from us writing those albums and rehearsing it" that could have been included in the package. "You can hear the songs changing, the different parts taking shape, and all this stuff would have been perfect bonus material for the box set," he said. "Sadly, the Osbournes are just too greedy and self-absorbed." Bob Daisley said in a 2010 interview with his web site that he had not been contacted about the 30th-anniversary editions of "Blizzard Of Ozz" and "Diary Of A Madman". The tracks played by Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake on both albums were replaced on a previous reissue after Daisley and Kerslake sued Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne over royalties. Daisley told the web site, "Neither Lee nor I have been contacted, considered or consulted in the decision to re-release the original recordings. As for royalties, we have not been approached for a reconciliation and have been offered and promised nothing." Ozzy told The Pulse of Radio he was against the idea of replacing the original tracks when he found out about it. "Believe me, it wasn't my doing," he said. "I mean, I didn't know that was being done, 'cause Sharon was fighting all the legal things that were going down at the time. I said, 'What did you do that for?' And she said, 'The only way I could stop everything was if it went to that level.' And I said, 'You know what, whatever the circumstances were, I want the original thing back.' I mean, I wouldn't have done that." The replacement tracks were played by current METALLICA bassist Robert Trujillo and FAITH NO MORE drummer Mike Bordin. Daisley says that he and Kerslake were fired because of disagreements with Sharon over a number of things, including refusing to do two shows in one day out of worry that Ozzy would blow out his voice.
- Blabbermouth reports guitarist Mark Morton of Richmond, Virginia metallers LAMB OF GOD has released a song that he wrote for the score to the band's projected feature film, "As The Palaces Burn". The film, directed by award-winning documentary filmmaker Don Argott and produced by 9.14 Pictures ("Last Days Here", "Art Of The Steal", "Rock School"), examines the impact that music and particularly heavy metal music has made on people around the globe as they live in a 21st century world full of economic uncertainty, political unrest, social injustice, and under a constant fear of war and violence. Filming has taken place to date in Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, India, and Israel and other countries over the last few months. Embedded in the trailer is the video for the band's second single from the "Resolution" CD, "Desolation". The clip was shot at shows in South America and Mexico and is the follow-up to the animated video for the track "Ghost Walking". LAMB OF GOD frontman Randy Blythe returned to the U.S. last week after it was announced in a Czech Republic court his trial would be delayed. Blythe's defense team asked for the delay because a key witness was sick, according to The Prague Post reporter Jonathan Crane who is helping cover the trial for WTVR.com. The defense team wanted that witness to testify in person. The singer is being allowed to stay in the U.S. until his trial resumes on March 4. He indicated in court that he would definitely return to Prague next month. Blythe is facing the possibility of conviction and a long-term jail sentence after a May 2010 incident in which a fan, Daniel Nosek, who attended a LAMB OF GOD performance in Prague, died almost a month later, allegedly from injuries sustained when he was thrown off the stage.
- Blabbermouth reports STRYPER frontman Michael Sweet is putting the finishing touches on his autobiography, "Honestly", to be made available later in the year. There is also a 12-song solo record to go hand in hand with the release of the book. According to Sweet, his "friend and brother," MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine was "kind enough" to write the following blurb/quote for the book: "Sometimes you see someone or something and you think you got it all figured out, just to find you were pretty far off base. That's a sucky feeling. I learned a long time ago not to judge a book by its cover, and as much as I used to think that I am nothing like Michael Sweet, I have come to realize that we both have had a lot of hardships in common; the same trials and tribulations, the same band problems, and some of the same relationship issues. Fortunately for us, we both believe in the same Jesus, and serve the same amazing, loving creator, so it's no wonder that we would both be standing on the same victorious side of life, once all the smoke clears at the end of the fight. I hope you will enjoy his memoirs and come to a new understanding and a new appreciation of Michael Sweet." Sweet previously stated about his upcoming book: "Writing and finishing my autobiography has gone WAY beyond my expectations, good and bad. It's been much more difficult than I could ever imagine yet it's been somewhat therapeutic being able to talk about my life and the past 30+ years of all things STRYPER. I get into everything and share things that may surprise you. I talk about the disfunction in this band, the pain and heartache of being so close to each other that we sometimes hurt each other the most, the ups and downs from our highest point (1987-1988) to our lowest point (1991-1992) and why we were driven to bankruptcy and how we climbed our way back from complete loss and despair. I share my personal pain from considering to give up music altogether to the day I broke the news to the guys that I would be leaving the band and why. From that day forward, I had everything a man could ask for and then, in what seemed like an instant, it was all taken away. "I'm almost 50 yet I feel like I've lived the life of a man who is almost 90. I look back on everything and all I can say is thank you God for allowing me to serve you and for giving me my gift, my life! "'Honestly' will be available soon and I can say from the bottom of my heart, it is brutally honest and my hopes and prayers are that it touches you in some way." Michael's new solo album will be issued via Big3 Records. Guest musicians set to appear on the CD include CHICKENFOOT drummer Kenny Aronoff, FOZZY singer Chris Jericho, WHITESNAKE guitarist Doug Aldrich; Tony Harnell of TNT, and Michael's brother Robert Sweet and STRYPER's Timothy Gaines. Regarding Harnell's appearance on the CD, Sweet previously stated, "I think Tony is truly one of the most underrated singers of all time. He's always been one of my favorites and is an incredibly nice, humble guy to boot. I've always wanted to work with Tony and I knew this would be the perfect song and opportunity to do so. 'Taking On The World Tonight' is very heavy with a combination of old-school riffs and solos yet it's got a very modern, relevant sound as well. It's the best of both worlds!"
- Blabbermouth reports Finnish rock band HIM (His Infernal Majesty) will release its new album, "Tears On Tape", on April 30 via Razor & Tie in North America and on April 29 through DoubleCross (Cooking Vinyl's specialist rock imprint) in the U.K. and Ireland. The "love metal" act's eighth official album was recorded at Helsinki's Finnvox Studios with longtime producer Hiili Hiilesmaa (APOCALYPTICA, AMORPHIS, MOONSPELL) and was mixed in London, England by Tim Palmer, who previously helmed 2005's "Dark Light" and 2007's "Venus Doom". The "Tears On Tape" cover artwork has now been unveiled and can be seen below. "Basically, we're making what I'd call 'modern retro,'" HIM singer Ville Valo told Revolver magazine about the musical direction of the new album, which he says will sound like "ROY ORBISON meeting METALLICA." "We wanted it to be nasty, fucked-up, and messy, and have that punk-rock attitude. But then on the other hand, it would also have that Roy Orbison naive, sentimental, dream-like quality." According to Valo, HIM was originally scheduled to begin work on "Tears On Tape" at the end of 2011, but a repetitive-strain injury suffered by drummer Mika Kristian Karppinen (a.k.a. Gas Lipstick) — which left the skinsman unable to lift even a cup of coffee, much less pound a drum kit — forced the bandmembers to re-evaluate their desire to carry on. "I think because he had the ailment, we had the opportunity to reassess what we had," Valo explained. "It was a miniscule existential crisis. We had to figure out what we really want to do and if we really like each other enough to continue through the hardest times-or do we want to call it a day?" Asked about the meaning of the new HIM album title, Valo said, "For me, what it means is how songs —I'm not talking about our songs, but songs in general — can be milestones. You hear a song and it brings you to where you heard that song for the first time, or when it meant something really big to you. 'Tears On Tape' means that I appreciate the people who have really poured their souls and hearts out on tape, and showed that to the rest of the world for the better or for the worse. I wouldn't be here without those tears of Elvis Presley on tape." HIM's current lineup is Ville Valo (vocals), Mikko "Linde" Lindström (guitar), Mikko "Migé" Paananen (bass), Janne "Burton" Puurtinen (keyboards), and Mika "Gas" Karppinen (drums). The band is managed by Seppo Vesterinen at Hinterland, Inc. and represented for U.S. touring by Justin Hirschman/AGI. HIM performed a brand new song entitled "I Will Be The End Of You" during their headlining concert at the Helldone festival on December 29, 2012 at Tavastia in Helsinki, Finland. Fan-filmed video footage of the performance can be seen below. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports long-defunct Swedish industrial metal band MISERY LOVES CO. reunited for an impromptu performance last night (Saturday, February 23) at a surprise 50th-birthday party for Swedish music freak Björn "Firespitta" Hjalmar at Roadbjörn Freakfest in Stockholm, Sweden. For the first time since the group split up in 2000, MISERY LOVES CO. vocalist Patrik Wirén, guitarist Örjan Örnkloo, guitarist Michael Hahne, bassist Patrik Thorngren and drummer Olle Dahlstedt (ENTOMBED) were in they same room together. After a few drinks, they gathered outside a bathroom to listen to a couple of old songs and to the surprise of a crowd of 80 people, the MISERY LOVES LOVES CO. lineup that released the critically acclaimed album "Your Vision Was Never Mine To Share" in 2000 performed two songs — "Prove Me Wrong" and "My Mind Still Speaks" — with the help of PAPER keyboardist Calle Olsson. Whether or not this will lead to a full-fledged MISERY LOVES CO. reunion remains to be seen. MISERY LOVES CO. split up in 2000 following the release of their third album, "Your Vision Was Never Mine To Share". Wirén subsequently sang with the alternative rock group ALPHA SAFARI, who released their debut album, "Commercial Suicide", on Threeman Recordings in 2004. Meanwhile, Örjan Örnkloo worked as a sound engineer at producer Daniel Bergstrand's (IN FLAMES, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, MESHUGGAH) studio Dug-Out in Uppsala. MISERY LOVES CO. previously reunited in August 2005 for a two-song performance at musician Patrik Sporrong's (MIDAS TOUCH, LOST SOULS) wedding in Uppsala, Sweden. The lineup for that appearance consisted of Wirén, Örnkloo, Hahne, bassist Richard Sporrong (who played with MISERY LOVES CO. 1997-1999) and drummer Bosse Lundström (a member of MISERY LOVES CO. during 1994-1995).
- Blabbermouth reports Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada-based metallers BISON B.C. have issued the following update: “This just in — we have just received our 'drop letter' from Metal Blade. "If you didn't know, we were on Metal Blade. "The last seven years has been a strange and crazy adventure toiling and crawling through the music industry. We met some great people as well as some awful people and loved every minute. Now it's time to get back to why we truly do this, and to officially be free and answer to no person, company, magazine article, chart, or poser douche bags. "Raise a glass to a new beginning! "Thanks to everyone at Metal Blade for trying to help us polish this turd." BISON B.C.'s latest album, "Lovelessness", came out last October via Metal Blade Records. The CD was recorded with acclaimed producer Sanford Parker at Soma and Electrical Audio Studios in Chicago.
BISON B.C. is:
James Farwell: Guitar/Vocals
Dan And: Guitar/Vocals
Masa Anzai: Bass
Matt Wood: Drums
- Loudwire reports Scott Weiland firms up dates for 2013 solo tour
- Loudwire reports Megadeth bassist David Ellefson donates bass strings for charitable bracelets
- Classic Rock posts a new music video from Sunset Riot "Trash Vs Class"