Subscribe to channel
- Blabbermouth reports the Soundwave festival kicked off earlier tonight (Saturday, February 23), with headliners METALLICA performing an 18-song set spanning the band's entire 30-year recording career. METALLICA opened the show with "Hit The Lights" and "Master Of Puppets" and finished with "Enter Sandman" before returning for a massive encore featuring "Creeping Death", "Battery" and "Seek & Destroy".
The band's setlist was as follows:
01. Hit The Lights
02. Master Of Puppets
03. The Shortest Straw
04. Harvester Of Sorrow
05. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
08. Sad But True
09. Fade To Black
10. …And Justice For All
12. For Whom The Bell Tolls
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
16. Creeping Death
18. Seek & Destroy
It was previously reported that METALLICA would play a two-hour set at this year's Soundwave, complete with the "Snakepit" rig. The last time this rig was used was during METALLICA's 2012 European tour where the band's self-titled 1991 album was played backwards, starting with closing number "The Struggle Within" and ending with "Enter Sandman". The San Francisco Giants recently announced that METALLICA will throw out the first pitch and perform the National Anthem at the world champion baseball team's May 3 home game at AT&T Park, which will be dubbed Metallica Night. The Giants will be playing against the Los Angeles Dodgers that night. METALLICA was originally formed in L.A. in 1981 but moved to San Francisco the following year to recruit bassist Cliff Burton and be part of that city's heavier underground metal scene. METALLICA has a busy year ahead. The night before the Giants game, on May 2, the band will receive the Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award and perform at the fifth annual Revolver Golden Gods Awards at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles. The band is also staging the second edition of its Orion Music + More festival on June 8-9 in Detroit, and will release a 3D film called "Metallica Through The Never" on August 9.
- Blabbermouth reports Los Angeles glam-metal jokesters STEEL PANTHER have entered the studio to begin recording their third full-length album for a late 2013 release. Drummer Stix Zadinia has completed tracking his drums for the as-yet-untitled CD, and according to a series of tweets from Zadinia, rhythm guitars are also done, with bassist Lexxi Foxxx next in line to lay down his parts. STEEL PANTHER's sophomore album, "Balls Out", sold nearly 12,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release in October 2011 to debut at position No. 40 on The Billboard 200 chart. STEEL PANTHER's first-ever DVD, "British Invasion", opened with 3,300 units to land at No. 2 on Billboard's Top Music Videos chart. Recorded with 16 cameras in pristine HD over a two-year period, the disc chronicles STEEL PANTHER's legendary live show that the band has come to be known for. Beginning in March 2010 at the band's sold-out concert at Brixton Academy in London during their highly successful "Feel The Steel" tour, the DVD feaures some of the group's most memorable hits, including "Asian Hooker", "Community Property", "The Shocker" and "Stripper Girl", in a way never seen before. Included in the package is a laugh-out-loud documentary that follows the band backstage and on their tour that is not to be missed. The deluxe box set includes two DVDs — one with the full show and one with the documentary — deleted scenes and five songs from Download Festival 2012. The packaging also includes a 16-page color book. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports according to The Journal News, original KISS guitarist Ace Frehley is being accused by a bank of not having paid the mortgage on his home for almost two years. U.S. Bank National Association claims that the musician stopped paying his $735,000 mortgage on his home in Yorktown in Northern Westchester County, New York, 35 miles from New York City, on March 1, 2011. The bank filed a mortgage foreclosure case on February 15, asking the court to order a sale of the home — which sits on 3.01 acres and has two floors, three bedrooms and three bathrooms — to pay for the outstanding principal of $703,581.48 plus interest, late charges and other expenses. Frehley was transferred ownership to the property in 2004 by Jendell Productions, which bought the home in November 2000 for $650,000. Jendell is the name of the fictional home planet for Frehley's extraterrestrial "Spaceman" stage character, who wore silver face paint and black lipstick. Frehley performed with KISS from its inception in 1973 until his first departure in 1982 before rejoining KISS in 1996 for a very successful reunion tour. Frehley's second stint lasted until 2002 as Ace went back to being a solo artist again, but the stories and memories still remain from touring in one of rock and roll's most successful acts of all time. Ace's latest album, "Anomaly", was released on September 15, 2009 via Ace's own Bronx Born Records, with Rocket Science providing a full label service platform in the U.S., "Anomaly" was produced and recorded in Westchester County, New York between 2007 and 2009 and was mixed in Los Angeles. Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock, Noisecreep and Rolling Stone
- Blabbermouth reports guitarist Craig Locicero (FORBIDDEN, SPIRALARMS) and drummer Paul Bostaph (SLAYER, TESTAMENT, EXODUS, FORBIDDEN) are among the featured musicians on the forthcoming album from the new lineup of the Geoff Tate-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE. The CD, which is currently being mixed by Jason Slater, is due later in the year via the Los Angeles-based independent label Cleopatra Records. Says Craig: "Whelp, I guess the cat is out of the proverbial bag. Nikki Blakk [of the San Faancisco, California radio station 107.7 The Bone] has announced that Paul Bostaph and I have played most of the music on Geoff Tate's QUEENSRŸCHE record. It is being mixed by Jason Slater as I type this and it is WAY HEAVIER then most anyone is expecting! "Geoff and Jason have been nothing but awesome to us and it gave Paul and I a chance to contribute together on a metal record once again. I was working on it for a few weeks and play on every song. There are kick-ass solo contributions from Dave Meniketti [Y&T], Ty Tabor [KING'S X], Brad Gillis [NIGHT RANGER], K.K. Downing [JUDAS PRIEST] and Chris Cannella. As well as bass played by Rudy Sarzo and more drums from Simon Wright. It's some great company to be around and it was an honor to be a part of it. "I know what the perception of the QUEENSRŸCHE camp is and I really don't give a f*ck. QUEENSRŸCHE was one of my favorite bands from the EP through 'Operation: Mindcrime'. "When I was approached about doing the record, I did contemplate all of the turmoil, but I love a challenge. I accepted the challenge and think Geoff has a kick-ass record to deliver the fans...in spite of what some may expect. The songs are cool, classy and in some cases stupidly heavy! "So there you have it. I am not in QUEENSRŸCHE, SPIRALARMS is still my baby with a killer record to be released very soon. So Geoff has a touring lineup ready to go this summer. I'm simply stoked to have put some my riffage in the mix with once of heavy metal's most recognizable and classic voices." Although a lineup for Tate's QUEENSRŸCHE was originally announced in the fall of 2012, things have changed. The band will now feature Tate along with bassist Rudy Sarzo (OZZY OSBOURNE, DIO, WHITESNAKE, QUIET RIOT), guitarist Kelly Gray (QUEENSRŸCHE 1998-2001), keyboardist Randy Gane and new additions, guitarist Robert Sarzo (QUIET RIOT, HURRICANE) and drummer Simon Wright (AC/DC, DIO, RHINO BUCKET). Wright takes over for previously announced drummer Bobby Blotzer, who will be returning to RATT as an integral part of the band that made him famous. Beginning in early April, Tate's QUEENSRŸCHE will be hitting the road to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the band's epic 1988 release, "Operation: Mindcrime", performing all fifteen songs from the album along with other well-known hits and rarities from the catalog they've compiled over the past 30 years. "I try to surround myself with the best players available and feel our longtime fans deserve nothing less," says Tate. "I expect the forthcoming effort to be one of our best yet." Tate, who was fired from QUEENSRŸCHE in June 2012 after fronting the group for three decades, last year sought to prevent his former bandmates from touring and operating under the QUEENSRŸCHE name without him. While ruling against Tate, the presiding judge determined that there was no legal hurdle in Tate also using the name with an all-new lineup of musicians. "I don't see any reason that Mr. Tate can't have the benefit, if he gets other members, of whatever name he uses of using the brand," Superior Court Judge Carol A. Schapira said during the July 13, 2012 court hearing. "I think [doing that would be] inherently confusing, although I'm sure the market can get these things sorted out," she added. Last November, Tate released his first solo CD in over a decade titled "Kings & Thieves" (InsideOut Music) and toured with his solo band in support of the CD, which included dates with the legendary ALICE COOPER.
- Blabbermouth reports vocalist Justin Hawkins of reunited British rockers THE DARKNESS fell off the stage during the second song ("Black Shuck") of the band's February 17 concert at Tyrol in Stockholm, Sweden. Fan-filmed video footage of the incident can be seen below (around 25-second mark). As previously reported, THE DARKNESS is planning to enter the studio in early 2014 to begin recording a new album for release later that year. "I think it's important the next album comes out quickly," THE DARKNESS guitarist Dan Hawkins told Billboard.com. "[Last year's] 'Hot Cakes' has been a great introduction to let people know we're back. Now we need to keep the output up, really." According to Hawkins, he and his bandmates have already started collecting ideas for the new CD. "Every day we set up our little [portable] studio and start jotting down ideas. "It'll be out in 2014. This year we'll be touring and writing, then early 2014 we'll hopefully be recording it or continuing to write it and get it out later that year." As for what fans should expect to hear on the upcoming album, Hawkins said: "I think we want to get even more old school. We want to make it even more of a performance record. We just want to be really brave and try to do something as live as humanly possible, warts and all. We've lost a bit of that in music today. It's time to get a bit of character in there, so we'll be going for something as fucking Route 1 as possible." Hawkins isn't worried about internal strife once again rearing its ugly head and putting an end to THE DARKNESS reunion. "We've settled into a nice groove, really," he said. "We feel like more of a team than we did before. If something is broke, you've got to fix it, haven't you? And that's what we did. I think (success) went to all of our respective heads, but you've got to go there, haven't you? What's the point of being in a rock 'n' roll band if you don't take it to 11? Now the music is on 11, the gigs are on 11 but the drug intake is on, like, zero to one. That's how it should be." Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports long-running Venice Beach, California thrash/punk band SUICIDAL TENDENCIES will release a new album, "13", on March 26. A teaser for the CD's first video, "Cyco Style", directed by Pep Williams, can be seen below. The first leg of SUICIDAL TENDENCIES' "Slam City" tour starts April 11 at the Regency Ballroom in San Franscisco and ends May 12 in San Diego at House Of Blues. All dates will see WAKE THE DEAD open. D.R.I. will support from Minneapolis to Charleston and SICK OF IT ALL will be join SUICIDAL TENDENCIES in Philadelphia, New York, Worchester, Baltimore, and from St. Petersburg until the end of the tour. When asked why he thinks the sound of SUICIDAL TENDENCIES has stood the test of time, the band's frotnman, Mike Muir, told Loudwire in a 2012 interview, "I think for us, when we started we didn't really know what we were doing. We didn't really set out and try to do something for other people. We stood there and did what we liked. We didn't care what other people thought. After we did our first record, one of my good friends came up to me and said, 'Yo, Mike, I got to talk to you. People aren't going to like the album. It's not music. You have an opportunity to make music that people can listen to on the radio.' But I didn't think that was an opportunity because I didn't like what I was hearing on the radio. Our barometer is not what people are going to think or how many records we can sell. We just want to be proud of what we make. That's why it stands the test of time. We did records that we thought were really good." On the topic of SUICIDAL TENDENCIES' plans to release a new studio album, Muir said, "We've always had new music in the works. Now it's actually to the point that we have some that we're ready to put out. Now is the time to put out a new record and we feel really, really good about it. There will definitely be a record out this year. Regarding what fans can expect from the upcoming CD, Muir said, "The way we look at it is that next year will be the 30th anniversary of our first record. When we look at a record, we don't want to have it sound like 2012. We want it to sound awesome 25 years from now, so when a kid who wasn't even born when we made it listens to it, he's like, 'Damn, that's a cool record!' I just had a guy from a radio station tell me that some listeners have been requesting the new song 'Institutionalized'. The young listeners don't realize that's an old song! Something like [METALLICA's recent Orion Music + More festival] is good for us, too, because a lot of people who wouldn't have listened to us will check us out because they know Robert [Trujillo, METALLICA bassist] was in the band." Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports HELLION has announced a contest to name the title of the band's upcoming anthology CD, which is scheduled for release this summer. The anthology will include fan favorites from all of HELLION's albums. The deadline for submissions is March 15. The winner of the contest will receive his or her name on the album's credits as well as a collection of the HELLION's new line of merchandise. People desiring to enter the contest should send their suggestions to email@example.com. In 1982, HELLION became the first American metal act with a female singer to achieve international acclaim. Throughout the last three decades, HELLION has shared stages throughout the world with acts such as SLAYER, DIO, EXODUS, WHITESNAKE and many more. HELLION was the first American metal band to to tour in the former Soviet Union (now Russia). HELLION was also the first female-fronted metal act to gain airplay on MTV and VH1.
- Blabbermouth reports following the success of the inaugural edition in 2012, Dungeon Works Productions and Evenko will present En Route To Heavy MTL 2013 and have selected twenty bands that will be battling it out over the next five months to win one of two opening slots at this year's Heavy MTL festival. Battle 3 of the Battle Of The Bands will take place on Thursday, March 7 at Les Katacombes (1635 St-Laurent Blvd) with special guest judges Dan Lilker (BRUTAL TRUTH, NUCLEAR ASSAULT) and Flo Mounier (CRYPTOPSY) along with local music industry for the death metal night.
BROUGHT BY PAIN
For more information, go to this location.
- Blabbermouth reports multinational metallers RAVEN LORD have have parted ways with drummer Larry Paterson and have replaced him with Rich Smith (POWER QUEST). Commented Smith: "I'm delighted to of been offered the throne to drum for RAVEN LORD. I can't wait to get in the rehearsal room with these guys and hit the road to play some kick-ass shows I'd like to thank all the guys in the band and the management for this opportunity." Added Paterson: "It is meant as no disrespect to any of you at all — and I wish great sucess for everybody. To cut a long story short, things are pretty tough right now as I have another band, a book and a documentary to make. All of this is running on a very tight schedule, which WILL definitely get in the way of RAVEN LORD." Said RAVEN LORD singer and bandleader Csaba Zvekan: "I'm saddened to see Larry go from RAVEN LORD, but if dates are clashing, there is not much any of us can do. The good thing is me and Larry Paterson will continue working on another band project called EXORCISM, which is expected to be released in 2014. "Well, you know what they say: the show must go on! And with summer shows in the pipeline, we had to act fast and find another drummer as a permanent solution. "Rich Smith is highly motivated to be the next LORD drummer, and with POWER QUEST calling it the quits, it was obvious that he was available for grabs. We took the opportunity and welcome Rich Smith to RAVEN LORD."
RAVEN LORD is:
* Csaba Zvekan (KILLING MACHINE) - Vocals
* Joe Stump (HOLYHELL, REIGN OF TERROR) - Lead Guitar
* Jamie Mallender (TONY MARTIN) - Bass
* Rich Smith (POWER QUEST) - Drums
* George Karafotis (VERMILLION DAYS) - Guitar
* Alessandro Duo (VOODOO HIGHWAY) - Keyboards
RAVEN LORD's debut album, "Descent To The Underworld", was released on February 1 in Europe and February 12 in North America via Mausoleum Records. The CD was mixed by acclaimed Swedish producer Fredrik Nordström (AT THE GATES, ARCH ENEMY, NIGHTRAGE, IN FLAMES, DREAM EVIL, OPETH) and was mastered by U.S. mastering engineer Maor Appelbaum (SEPULTURA, HALFORD, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, ANGRA, DOKKEN). The cover artwork was created by Brazilian artist Caio Caldas of CadiesArt, who has previously worked with DORO, PAUL DI'ANNO, SEVEN KINGDOMS, DOMINANZ and VIOLET SUN, among others.
- Loudwire reports Testament’s Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson talk thrash on Fox Station
- Loudwire reports Bullet for My Valentine’s Matt Tuck on "Riot" riff: "It Was So Annoying That It Was Cool"
- Classic Rock posts UK melodic rock veterans FM have released a promo clip for their new song "Tough Love"
- Billboard posts Johnny Marr: the music that made me. Read more at NME
- NME reports Pete Wentz on Fall Out Boy reunion: "We didn't think people would care"
- Blabbermouth posts a new "Super Collider" studio clip from Megadeth
- Blabbermouth posts a audio sample of a new song from Todd La Torre fronted version of Queensryche
- Blabbermouth posts video of former Trust bassist talks about 30th anniversary of the death of Bon Scott
- Blabbermouth posts photos of "The Mystery Of Time" limited-edition hardcover book from Avantasia
- Blabbermouth posts performance footage of
Return to previous page
Send to a friend
MTV's Daily Video
Between the Bu..