Just days after the Black Keys had a huge night at the Grammy Awards, it's been reported by Us Weekly that singer and guitarist Dan Auerbach is going through a divorce with his wife, Stephanie Gonis. A source told the magazine that Gonis was not at the awards ceremony because of the situation, which the source called "unfortunate." Auerbach and Gonis have one child, a four-year-old daughter named Sadie.
Auerbach spoke with us not long ago about the difficulty of being on tour with a little girl at home, and we asked if she ever came on the road with him: "Sometimes. It's really difficult, you know, especially if we're in a different time zone. It's just -- you know, I'll work nights and then she wakes up super early, and got stuff to do during the day that's not fun for a kid, and I don't think it's really healthy for a little kid to be pulled out of their normal environment and go to like a weird thing where there's no regular schedule and stuff like that. It's pretty difficult."
- Reps for the Black Keys did not respond to an Us request for comment.
- This isn't the first time that marital discord has surfaced in the duo's camp. Drummer Patrick Carney's ex-wife, Denise Grollmus, wrote a candid and painful account of the end of their marriage for Salon in 2011. Carney got remarried in 2012 to Emily Ward.
- The Keys won three prizes at Sunday night's (February 10th) Grammy Awards, including Best Rock Album, Best Rock Performance and Best Rock Song. Auerbach won a fourth award for Producer of the Year, Non-Classical.
- The band is already at work on the follow-up to 2011's platinum-selling, now Grammy-winning album El Camino, and also has more live dates coming up this spring with the Flaming Lips and others.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Do you think a marriage can survive the rock 'n' roll lifestyle?
- How would you feel if your significant other was away for months at a time?
- Can a rock musician be a good and effective parent?
SIDE NOTES: Patrick Carney, known for his less than complimentary comments about other artists, is at it again. When asked by TMZ about Justin Bieber not being nominated for any Grammy Awards, Carney replied, "He's rich, right? I mean, I don't know. Grammys are, like, for music, not for money, and he's making a lot of money. I don't know -- he should be happy, I guess." Bieber later tweeted that Carney needed to be "slapped around."
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Patrick Carney talk about Justin Bieber at http://www.nme.com/news/the-black-keys/68665
The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach On Taking His Daughter On Tour
Read more at Spinner