Artists like Stone Sour's Corey Taylor, Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan and others took to Twitter on Sunday night (February 10th) to vent their feelings about that evening's 55th annual Grammy Awards, which were held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and broadcast on CBS. While rock music did well -- with acts like the Black Keys, Halestorm and Fun. all winning anywhere from one to three awards -- some rockers were disgruntled by the proceedings.
- Taylor tweeted, "I'm happy for Halestorm, but sad because the Grammys don't respect our genre AT ALL. We get one category and it's not even televised."
- Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro noted that a new episode of The Walking Dead premiered opposite the awards show, writing, "People watch zombies on #thewalkingdead , zombies watch people on The Grammys."
- Asked on Twitter if he agreed that the show was irrelevant, overrated & not 'fun' (as in the band)," Keenan simply replied, "Yup."
- Adelitas Way also weighed in, tweeting, "Watching the Grammys with respect for every artist involved, but this year is very boring, I would be def be breaking s*** up there :)"
- The Black Keys won for Best Rock Album, Best Rock Performance and Best Rock Song, while frontman Dan Auerbach also won for Best Producer, Non-Classical.
- Halestorm won for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance, while Fun. won Best New Artist and Song of the Year. Mumford And Sons won Album of the Year.
- Trent Reznor and collaborator Atticus Ross won the Best Score Soundtrack Grammy for their work on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- What did you think of this year's Grammy Awards? Did you even tune in?
- What could be done to improve the show?
- Do you think that the Grammys still show a lack of respect for rock music?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Loudwire -- agree or not?
Rod Haney wrote: "The Grammys are ridiculous. The beautiful thing about music is that it is completely subjective to the listener. So who the hell are these fools to say what music 'deserves' an award? What makes them so special that their opinions matter over anyone else's? Listen to what you like. Celebrate the music you like. To hell with the Grammy 'Committee' and their OPINION."
Cj Hardin wrote: "The grammys are terrible, but did anyone watch Jack White play? He was the best performance by far, and you could tell he was pissed to be there. He stepped away from the mic a couple times and played a few odd notes on his guitar to show he was actually playing and didn't lip sync like the other s*** artists on there."
Thomas Coyne wrote: "I'd rather sit in silence in a windowless room then watch the Grammys."
Danielle Swope wrote: "rock is totally ignored on the Grammys ..it's a shame that true rock artists get shut out by these ignorant pop artists with no true talent."
Sunni Frey Courville wrote: "Thank goodness for music lovers with brains enough find and listen to music that is actually good instead of what tv and radio feed them. If it weren't for them real rock music really would be dead."
Read more at Loudwire
Read more on Corey Taylor's thoughts at Blabbermouth
Read what Shadows Fall drummer Jason Bittner has to say at Blabbermouth and Noisecreep