The Muse song "Madness" has just notched its 18th week at the top of the Billboard Alternative Songs radio airplay chart, tying it with Foo Fighters' 2007 hit "The Pretender" for the longest stay at the top of the chart in its 24-year history. Muse's 2009 track "Uprising" is actually right behind both with 17 weeks on the chart. Other acts behind them include Green Day, Staind, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Linkin Park. "Madness" appears on Muse's sixth studio album, The 2nd Law, which has sold 280,000 copies to date. (Billboard)
- Lamb Of God frontman Randy Blythe was in a Prague courtroom in the Czech Republic on Monday (February 4th) for the start of his trial on manslaughter charges stemming from a 2010 incident in which a fan named Daniel Nosek died weeks after attending the band's concert in Prague and allegedly being thrown off the stage by the singer. According to a local TV news report, Blythe read a statement to the three presiding judges, telling them he had returned to face the charges like he promised, adding, "But I do not wish to be punished and suffer the consequences of an act I did not commit . . . I never saw Daniel and I never came in contact with him." The trial is expected to last until the end of the week. If convicted, Blythe could face a long-term jail sentence. (Blabbermouth) Read more at Loudwire Check out a news report at Blabbermouth, Classic Rock and NME Read an update on the case from a witness at Blabbermouth and Loudwire Read what Randy has to say at Blabbermouth and Loudwire
- A new trailer has surfaced for The Lords Of Salem, the fifth live-action feature film written and directed by Rob Zombie. The movie follows a radio station DJ in Salem, Massachusetts -- played by Sheri Moon Zombie, Rob's wife -- who accidentally awakens a 300-year-old coven of witches who seek revenge on the town. The movie's release date has been moved forward one week from April 26th to April 19th. (Slashfilm) Read more at Blabbermouth and Loudwire
CHECK IT OUT: Watch the new trailer for The Lords Of Salem:
Watch a Prague TV report on Randy Blythe's trial:
- Blabbermouth reports Anne Erickson of Music News Nashville recently conducted an interview with MÖTLEY CRÜE singer Vince Neil. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below. Music News Nashville: Have any of MÖTLEY CRÜE's hits been especially difficult to write? Vince: There aren't really any hard songs to write. It's usually pretty easy, if it gets hard, it gets shuffled away and something else comes up, or it becomes something you can go back to it and use other parts with it to make it work better. Most of the hit songs have been easy to write, though. Music News Nashville: How do you go about writing music with the CRÜE? Vince: It starts out with a guitar riff, and then we put it together with the other instruments and put a melody to it. After the melody and song structure are finished, we edit different parts in and out, and eventually, it all combines to become a song. Music News Nashville: Is there talk of a new MÖTLEY CRÜE album? Vince: No — no new album. What I'm hearing is that maybe two or three or four more songs might come out to go with that song we released [last] year, but it will be something like an EP, not an album. Our schedule seems to have a lot of touring. If something did come out in the form of an EP, it would probably be in the beginning of 2014. Read the entire interview from Music News Nashville. Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock and Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth reports "Stand Up", the first single from ALL THAT REMAINS' recently released new studio album, "A War You Cannot Win", has reached the No. 1 spot at Active Rock radio. This marks the band's first-ever No. 1 radio single and ALL THAT REMAINS' fifth consecutive Top 10 single at the format. "Stand Up" is also Razor & Tie's second single to reach No. 1 at Active Rock in the past five months. Comments ALL THAT REMAINS frontman Philip Labonte: "When I woke up this a.m., I had an e-mailin my inbox informing me that 'Stand Up' is going to be the No. 1 rock song in the U.S. "We are massively humbled and thank all the stations who've been playing it and more importantly thanks to everyone who's called and requested it. Who'd a thunk it?" The success of "Stand Up" follows the trajectory of "The Waiting One", which went Top 5 on the Active Rock radio chart. The band's previous album, "For We Are Many", also spawned two additional Top 10 tracks, "Hold On" and "The Last Time", which spent a combined 18 months charting at the format. "A War You Cannot Win" debuted at No. 13 on the Billboard Top 200 with over 24,700 units sold in its first week. The CD has shifted over 62,000 copies to date in the U.S. alone. ALL THAT REMAINS' "Stand Up" video was directed by P.R. Brown (SLIPKNOT, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, MARILYN MANSON), who also collaborated with the band on their recent album packaging and photos. The clip was filmed on location in New Hampshire. "A War You Cannot Win" sees ALL THAT REMAINS reunited with longtime producer Adam Dutkiewicz (THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, AS I LAY DYING, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE). The record is the culmination of an intense writing period for the group that began shortly after their 18-month tour in support of "For We Are Many".
- Blabbermouth reports the official lyric video for "Earth Rocker", the title track of the new album from Maryland rockers CLUTCH, can be seen below. Produced by Machine (LAMB OF GOD, FOUR YEAR STRONG, FALL OUT BOY) at the Machine Shop studio in Belleville, New Jersey, "Earth Rocker" will be released on March 19 via CLUTCH's own Weathermaker Music label. The CD was described by CLUTCH vocalist Neil Fallon in a recent interview with DCHeavyMetal.com as "probably faster than most of our recent albums. Maybe compared to some other bands, it's not the fastest thing on planet Earth. For us it was definitely a step up in the tempo. And I think the other thing that kind of stands out about this one is the blues influences that we've been flirting with over the past couple records is more or less absent in this record, which didn't really happen intentionally until we looked back at it. As a whole, it's just much more of a straight-up rock and roll record." The artwork for "Earth Rocker" was created by Nick Lakiotes, longtime CLUTCH art director, who has worked on previous efforts, including "Robot Hive/Exodus" and "Strange Cousins From The West". CLUTCH's North American dates kick off March 8 in Cincinnati, Ohio and are currently slated to run through April 20 in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Blabbermouth reports Chicago heavy rockers SOIL will enter the studio later this month with longtime producer Ulrich Wild to begin recording their sixth album for a tentative summer release. The band recently worked on 13 songs in pre-production with engineer Don Byczynski at BOTA Studio in Lake In The Hills, Illinois. Ulrich previously produced SOIL's 2006 album "True Self" and co-produced the band's last effort, 2009's "Picture Perfect". SOIL's forthcoming CD will mark the band's first release with original vocalist Ryan McCombs since 2004's "Re.De.Fine". "We are very eager and excited to be back in the studio again," states SOIL bassist Tim King. "This new album has a very classic SOIL feel to it". The as-yet-titled CD will be recorded and released completely independently. "We will be calling all the shots on this one" says King. "Every decision will be made by myself, Adam [Zadel, guitar], and Ryan." Distribution in North America will be handled through Sony RED/MRI via Pavement Entertainment, in which SOIL has an interest. Europe/rest of world will go through SOIL's long time partner AFM Records. Pavement Entertainment president Mark Nawara, welcomes the experience. "I am happy to be a part of the new SOIL album," he says. "We have structured an innovative and unique business venture that lets the band stay 100 percent independent while giving them access to the many resources they require to release an album successfully." In a recent interview with Metal Forces, McCombs stated about the band's next CD: "This is the first time Adam, Tim and I have been writing together since 'Re.De.Fine', so you have the key component of what made those records. I was always the lyric writer of those albums, and if I stumbled somewhere, Adam was always there to give me a little boost, and give me a little direction here and there. You've got us back together as far as the lyrics that I write go. You've got Adam too; he was 98.9% of the music on those records, and if he ever had any struggle with whatever — if he ever had any questions — I was always there to help with the arrangement of the songs. We really got the key components of those albums back together again, and I feel like the material that we're coming up with is that perfect anchor to where you had 'Scars' and 'Re.De.Fine'. I think this album is the next stage, the next album in line for SOIL." SOIL recently launched an interactive pre-sale campaign on Kickstarter to enable fans to participate in the release of the band's forthcoming album. Fans will receive exclusive shirts, a chance to have dinner with the band, autographed merchandise, attend studio sessions, an exclusive new MP3 download of the first studio song with McCombs since 2004's "Redefine" album and more. They also will be the first to receive the new album when it's released. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports Ex-SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach says that he "doesn't see what the hold-up is" with his former bandmates' reluctance to reunite with him on vocals. Bach, who was previously not interested in a reunion and was focusing on his solo career, has since had a change of heart. However, not all the members of SKID ROW seem on board with Bach rejoining the group. Sebastian told VH1 Radio Network's Dave Basner he doesn't understand why that is. "It would be very simple," the singer said. "It's like a no-brainer. I mean I make my living still singing those songs along with my solo material and so it's very easy for me to walk up to the microphone and sing my own songs that I've been singing for 25 years. So I don't see what the hold-up is. You'd have to ask them." Bach in July posted a letter on his Facebook page in which he said he was open to reuniting with SKID ROW. "For the fans, I would be willing to put my ego aside and do something that would be special for the people who put us where we are today," he wrote. "I do not personally want it myself. But it's not always about 'what I want.' If the fans really want to see us together, I would do it for the fans. Sometimes you can do things for people other than yourself." Bach said he wanted to write the letter in response to current SKID ROW singer Johnny Solinger's interview in which Johnny said a tweet by Bach about a possible SKID ROW reunion was an attempt to "get attention." Sebastian in 2011 tweeted that he wanted his fans to stop asking him about a possible reunion with his former bandmates after SKID ROW bassist Rachel Bolan made it clear that the group has "never looked back" following Sebastian's dismissal from the band in 1996. Speaking to SCTimes.com, Bolan stated about Sebastian's departure from SKID ROW, "We thought we were disbanded and that we'd never do it again. Then we kept getting emails and the management office was getting lots of letters about people wanting to see SKID ROW on stage and we really started to miss it. We knew if we got back together, we were going to do things different." e added, "When Johnny joined the band [in 1999], that really gave us a kick in the ass. It was a different guy there and everything that came out of that guy was positive." On the topic of the persistent rumors of a reunion with Sebastian, Bolan said, "Actually, there were never any talks. Ever. That was all just total rumor. We got rid of him in the '90s and never looked back. . . After the first tour [with Solinger on vocals], it seemed like this is the way it's always been. It's so weird, I'll hear an old song on the radio and it just sounds so bizarre to me because I'm so used to Johnny singing it." Read more at Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports MAIDEN UNITED, the all-acoustic IRON MAIDEN tribute project featuring Damian Wilson (THRESHOLD, HEADSPACE) and Ruud Jolie (WITHIN TEMPTATION), has announced a lineup change for the upcoming shows in April. Mike Coolen (WITHIN TEMPTATION) and Marco Kuypers (CLOUDMACHINE) will leave the band to focus on their other bands and projects.
New musicians will be:
* Lee Morris (ex-PARADISE LOST) on drums for the U.K. shows
* Stef Broks (TEXTURES) on drums for the shows in Holland and Belgium
* Huub van Loon (DEARWORLD) on piano
MAIDEN UNITED's latest album, "Across The Seventh Sea", was released on September 28, 2012 on CD, iTunes and limited-edition black-and-blue transparent vinyl.
"Across The Seventh Sea" track listing:
01. Seven Deadly Sins
02. Only The Good Die Young
03. 2 Minutes To Midnight
05. Flash Of The Blade
06. Children Of The Damned
07. Infinite Dreams
08. 22 Acacia Avenue
09. The Evil That Men Do
10. Wasted Years
A trailer for the album can be seen below.
The cover artwork for the CD was once again created by Blacklake, who also worked with MAIDEN UNITED on their first studio album, "Mind The Acoustic Pieces". MAIDEN UNITED's debut album, "Mind The Acoustic Pieces" (2010), was described as "an acoustic re-imagining of the entire classic IRON MAIDEN album "Piece Of Mind" with new arrangements." For more information, go to www.MaidenuniteD.com.
- Blabbermouth reports the response for the new MUTINY WITHIN album has been so overwhelming that the band has decided to continue making music for the ones who matter the most, the fans. "Synchronicity" reached No. 5 in its first week on the iTunes metal charts, and will be an early contender for 2013 "Album Of The Year" lists. Comments MUTINY WITHIN singer Chris Clancy: "It's been incredible to see the response from the fans. We figured this album was the end of the road, but we've been inspired to continue making our music." MUTINY WITHIN made waves in the metal community early in its career by joining the Roadrunner Records roster and touring endlessly on the heels of its self-titled debut album. Having half the lineup live across the great Atlantic pond and experiencing serious financial difficulties due to the rampant piracy in the music industry, MUTINY WITHIN was forced to go on hiatus in 2011. That was the end of the touring band, but not the end of their music. Epic metal music can not be contained — not even by the one-eyed pirates of the tumultuous thief infested world we call the "music industry." MUTINY WITHIN had so many good ideas and music ready to go, founding member/songwriter Andrew "A.J." Jacobs and singer Chris Clancy decided to finish what they started and put out the next evolutionary sound of MUTINY WITHIN in the form of the self-produced "Synchronicity".
"Synchronicity" track listing:
02. In My Veins
03. In A Moment
04. Falls To Pieces
10. Life To Dust
12. The Unsaid
MUTINY WITHIN's Tommy Jones-directed "Embers" video can be seen below. "Mutiny Within" was released on February 23, 2010 via Roadrunner. The CD was recorded at Bieler Bros. Studios in Pompano Beach, Florida with producer Jason Bieler (SIKTH, SKINDRED, DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL, NONPOINT) and was mixed by Jeff Rose and Martin "Ginge" Ford of Nott-In-Pill studios in Newport, Wales, United Kingdom.
- Blabbermouth reports REVAMP, the band led by former AFTER FOREVER and current NIGHTWISH touring vocalist Floor Jansen, recently entered the studio to begin recording its sophomore album for a fall 2013 release via Nuclear Blast Records. REVAMP states: States Jansen: "I will start recording the vocals for the second REVAMP album next week! Been working on the last vocal lines and lyrics today and have some days ahead to spend on this great part of my work as musician!" She adds: "The [other] guys [in the band] have been working their asses off already recording the drums, guitars, bass and keys. Can't wait to hear the finished result pounding through the speakers... but we all have to be patient a while longer." An 11-minute video clip in which members of REVAMP answer fan-submitted questions about their forthcoming second album — filmed last September — can be seen below. REVAMP returned to the live stage in January 2012 at Metropool in Hengelo, The Netherlands as the support act for EPICA. Video footage of REVAMP performing a brand new song, entitled "Sins", during the concert can be seen below. Jansen appeared at Carioca Club in São Paulo, Brazil in November 2011 as a special guest of MAYAN, the band featuring EPICA/ex-AFTER FOREVER guitarist/songwriter Mark Jansen alongside Jack Driessen (ex-AFTER FOREVER) and Frank Schiphorst. This marked his first live appearance since her burn-out in 2011, which forced her to put on hold all concert activities.
REVAMP's self-titled debut album was released in Europe on May 28, 2010 via Nuclear Blast Records.
Floor Jansen: Songwriter/Singer
Arjan Rijnen: Guitar
Jord Otto: Guitar
Jaap Melman: Bass
Ruben Wijga: Keyboards
Matthias Landes: Drums
"Sins" (new song) performance footage:
- Blabbermouth reports reactivated cult classic prog-thrashers TOXIK are currently seeking a full-time drummer for recording and live performances. Guitarist Josh Christian comments on the hunt: "We've written a dozen plus songs for the record and we need to get the rhythm section fleshed out. Tad [Leger] is definitely going forward with LUCERTOLA so we need a recording and touring drummer — someone with precision, speed and imagination." Christian and singer Mike Sanders recently began pre-production work on the vocals at Josh's home studio. TOXIK is hopeful to have the as-yet-untitled follow-up to 1992's critically acclaimed LP "Think This" ready for release late fall. Christian comments: "It was great getting together with Mike. Nothing's changed — he can still totally kill it — so it's going to be a lot of fun recording this album!" Hailing from New York's Hudson Valley area, TOXIK released a pair of classic thinking-man's thrash metal albums in the late '80s. An upstart record label named Roadrunner Records (later home to SLIPKNOT and NICKELBACK) released the band's two astounding masterworks, 1988's "World Circus" and 1989's "Think This". Both releases saw TOXIK take the aggression and brutality of speed metal and mix it with the technicality and proficiency of progressive hard rock. TOXIK left the Hudson Valley region and toured the United States and the world, playing shows with the likes of PANTERA, SEPULTURA, EXODUS, KING DIAMOND and others in their quest for metal ascendancy before their premature implosion in 1992. TOXIK released a DVD, "Think Again", in August 2010. The set contained both vintage and brand new never-before-seen footage. The main feature was a 1989 headlining set from the Paramount Theater in TOXIK's hometown of Peekskill, New York. This performance came shortly after the release of "World Circus" and the energy level of the band wa truly at its peak for TOXIK's first headlining show. The DVD contains all the tracks from "World Circus" and an early version of "Spontaneous" that later appeared on "Think This".
- Blabbermouth reports Marta Gabriel of CRYSTAL VIPER joined the legendary epic metal act MANILLA ROAD on stage this past Saturday (February 2), at the Metal Assault festival in Würzburg, Germany, to perform the song "Flaming Metal Systems". Fan-filmed video footage of her appearance can be seen below. CRYSTAL VIPER recorded a cover version of "Flaming Metal Systems" for "The Riddle Masters - A Tribute To Manilla Road" album, which was released in 2008. MANILLA ROAD's performance at Metal Assault saw the group play a double headlining set celebrating 30 years of the "Crystal Logic" album (featuring original drummer Rick Fisher) and release of the new studio album, "Mysterium". The new MANILLA ROAD album, "Mysterium", was released on February 2 via Zyx Music (CD) and High Roller Records (LP), and is the the first MANILLA ROAD album recorded with new drummer Neudi (ROXXCALIBUR, JAMESON RAID, ex-SAVAGE GRACE). A limited digipak version of the album includes a bonus DVD with full MANILLA ROAD live show recorded at the Hammer Of Doom festival in 2011. CRYSTAL VIPER's new album, "Crimen Excepta", was released in April 2012 via AFM Records. The concept effort about holy inquisition, black magic and witches, where fiction is mixed with historical facts, was produced by Bart Gabriel (SACRED STEEL, JACK STARR'S BURNING STARR). "Crimen Excepta" features two special guests: David Bower, vocalist of HELL, appears in the title track, while VADER mainman Piotr "Peter" Wiwczarek can be heard in the cover version of the classic VADER song "Tyrani Piekiel", which is available as the bonus track on the first, limited edition of the album.
- Blabbermouth reports Tuomas Holopainen, keyboardist and main songwriter of the Finnish symphonic metal band NIGHTWISH, has commenced work on his "The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck" project and will be in "hibernation" for the next three months. During this time, he will spend several weeks at a Disney park in the U.S. with his keyboards to aid in the creative process. "I'm very excited to start this project," Holopainen says. Tuomas previously stated about how the idea for the project came about: "It was back in 1999, during the 'Oceanborn' tour, that I remember first having the idea of writing a 'soundtrack' to my all-time favorite piece of Disney comic, 'The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck', by Don Rosa, the apparent heir of the almighty Carl Barks. This book has had such an overwhelming effect on me throughout these years, and finally I have the means and the time to make that dream a reality. "It all started with a story called 'Last Sled To Dawson', which was published in a Finnish Donald Duck magazine in the late '80s. It instantly became one of my favorite Scrooge/Donald stories and also introduced Mr. Don Rosa to my Disney universe. This story is not part of the actual 'Life And Times' opus, though, but 'a companion story,' set in between the chapters #8 and #9. Then when the massive 12-chapter piece was released in mid-'90s, I was completely and utterly hooked. It was similar to reading 'The Lord Of The Rings' as an 8-year-old, or seeing 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' for the first time. Adventure, fun and the strangely familiar feeling of home. "With Scrooge, there was also a much deeper level hidden between the stories and the gags. "This is a book about life itself. What an unfathomable privilege it is, what are the things that truly matter during our existence. It's about the immense beauty of the world and its possibilities seen through the eyes of a very relentless, honest and complex character. It's about love and family, gain and loss, darkness and rebirth. "And on top of that, well, it's just your good old-fashioned storytelling fun! "I have been twiddling around with certain themes for some months now and have an idea for five songs, but I will start working on this project 24/7 after the Australian leg of the tour, in February 2013. The demo recordings are scheduled for May 2013, just before the festival season starts and we're off with NIGHTWISH again. The actual recordings then start in August-September and should be finished by the end of the year, making a release during the first half of 2014 a possibility. "Mr. Pip Williams has agreed to do the orchestral and choral arrangements and we will use pretty much the same London session musicians as we did on 'Imaginaerum'. Troy Donockley will bring Scrooge's Scottish origins to life with his pipes and whistles, and there will also be a few more guest musicians and singers involved. "This journey is very, very dear and personal to me and I'm honored to have Mr. Rosa's approval on the project. It'll be a beautiful storytime, once again!"
- Blabbermouth reports reactivated '80s Dutch metal band PICTURE has announced the return of guitarist Andre Wullems to the group's ranks. Along with Chriz van Jaarsveld, Andre was the guitarist in PICTURE during the promotion period for the album "Traitor" back in 1985 and played live with PICTURE on a number of occasions in the past. Commented PICTURE in a statement: "We're really pleased that Andre deceided to join the ranks again and we're looking forward to touring with him throughout Europe with the 'Warhorse' tour. We played with Andre for some time in the past and we knew his capabilities on guitar. It's great to have a familiar member of the band return. Together with Mike Ferguson, they form a formidable guitar duo." PICTURE will kick off the "Warhorse" European tour in April. The band's latest album, "Warhorse", was released in February 2012 via Artist Station Records. The CD was mixed by Oscar Holleman, who has previously worked with WITHIN TEMPTATION and AFTER FOREVER, among others. PICTURE supported AC/DC, TED NUGENT and SAXON in the Netherlands. With SAXON, they did a full European tour in 1981. Later on they toured with ROSE TATTOO in Germany and headlined tours in Italy and Israel.
- Blabbermouth reports Nuclear Blast Records has announced the signing of "Germany's most authentic and passionate psychedelic hard rock combo," KADAVAR. It was already with 2012's eponymous debut album that the three-piece from Berlin casted a spell on all fans of solid riff-driven-yet-doom-like '70s hard rock à la BLACK SABBATH and PENTAGRAM. Marrying this with the spacy psychedelic approach of early HAWKWIND and mixing in a distinct own touch while preserving their icons' warm vintage charm can doubtlessly be considered the trio's key to success. Astoundingly high vinyl sales and support slots with such bands as SLEEP, SAINT VITUS, PENTAGRAM and ELECTRIC WIZARD as well as festival appearances at Stoned From The Underground, Yellowstock and Fusion, among others, underline KADAVAR's status as one of the scene's most exciting acts to watch in 2013. Nuclear Blast's head of A&R Andy Siry comments on the signing: "We're delighted to bid KADAVAR welcome to the Nuclear Blast family! It was with great interest that we've watched their first steps from the founding of the band to the release of their debut record. Eventually, the last-mentioned tipped the balance and led us to offering them a record deal, as we truly believe that these three gentlemen are masters of their craft and can righteously be considered the leaders of the German occult rock movement. We're looking forward a lot to seeing what the future will bring for KADAVAR!" Regarding the signing with the Swabian label, KADAVAR drummer Tiger states with a wink: "Even though the relationship between people from Berlin and Swabians is usually considered rather… uneasy, we're taking the first step to reconciliation: We're very happy that our second studio album will be released via Nuclear Blast, who can look back on an impressive history. After an eventful year, we've locked ourselves up in the studio for the past two months in order to work on said record. The result elates us — we can't wait 'til the release date has finally come!" KADAVAR's upcoming album, "Abra Kadavar", was recorded in Tiger's studio, where he also took care of the production, mixing and mastering. It's set for a release on April 5. As far as the album recordings are concerned, the musician explains: "After last year's final show had been played in mid-December, we started writing new songs. We've already had a couple of finished tracks in May 2012, but those were eventually released on a split LP with AQUA NEBULA OSCILLATOR in November 2012, which is why we started at square one again. As we knew that there was no procrastination and no going back for us, we sat down for two weeks straight to finish composing with total commitment. We're perfectly happy with the outcome — I'd even say that 'Abra Kadavar' comprises the best compositions we've created to date. The songs are more diversified, the ideas feel more spontaneous. Moreover, we've tried to capture much more of our live energy, which is why we've recorded almost everything all together in one room, with the amps turned up to the max — solely the vocals and a handful of guitar solos were added afterwards."
Lupus Lindemann - vocals, guitar
Mammut - bass
Tiger - drums
- Blabbermouth reports great vocal melodies with anthemic potential, virtuoso guitar and keyboard passages, including spectacular solos, in addition to a blistering rhythm section which gives the songs their pace, groove and dynamics: the very ingredients which guaranteed seven brilliant releases in ten years from the American-Swiss cult act ARTENSION and caused a global stir on "The End Of Never", the only album by ARTENSION's successor ANGEL OF EDEN, also inspire listeners on ARTLANTICA's debut album "Across The Seven Seas". This doesn't really come as a surprise: after all, ARTLANTICA features three of the most important driving forces behind ANGEL OF EDEN in guitarist Roger Staffelbach, frontman John West and keyboardist Mistheria. In addition, Staffelbach and West (ARTENSION, ROYAL HUNT) belonged to were the driving forces and founding members of ARTENSION (together with Vitalij Kuprij, now of TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA) and Mistheria has made a name for himself with his collaborations with Bruce Dickinson and Rob Rock. All three are, without a doubt, real masters of their trade who have combined their talents to present ten brilliant new song. Staffelbach describes the result as "powerful, heavy, occasionally majestic, grooving, melodious and timeless. Each instrument has its place, none of them sounds too dominant, everything has only one purpose, to serve the song." Staffelbach, West and Mistheria enjoy an excellent reputation among their colleagues and can pick and choose when it comes to selecting their guest musicians: "Across The Seven Seas" features Dani Löble (HELLOWEEN) and John Macaluso (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, TNT, ARK) on drums, the bass parts were recorded by bass icon Steve DiGiorgio (SADUS, TESTAMENT), who also previously worked with ARTENSION and ANGEL OF EDEN. And last but by no means least, ARTLANTICA succeeded in enlisting none less than Chris Caffery of SAVATAGE and TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA as their guest guitarist. The result of this high-calibre collaboration was mixed and mastered at Tommy Newton's (HELLOWEEN, GAMMA RAY) Area 51 studios, with Newton also adding his extensive expertise. "Across The Seven Seas" will be released in the USA on May 21 and in Europe on May 27 through SPV/Steamhammer as a CD and digital download (including one bonus track).
- Blabbermouth reports Canadian technical death metallers GORGUTS have inked a deal with Season Of Mist. The band's fifth studio album will be released later this year. "It is with great joy that I announce the return of GORGUTS to Season of Mist!" says GORGUTS guitarist/vocalist Luc Lemay. "Things have not always been easy these last couple of years, but now it's all behind us and all I can say is that I'm more than eager to share this new record with all of you. "Our forthcoming album will be a very detailed, dark, epic, emotional, conceptual record and Season Of Mist was my first choice to be the standard-bearer for this new GORGUTS opus and I must say that I am more than happy to work with them again. "Stay tuned on the band's web sites for more updates and we'll soon hit the stage to share this new music with you! I can never thank each of you enough, our dedicated fans, for more than 20 years of support! Thanks to you!!" GORGUTS' current lineup features genre heavyweights John Longstreth (drums; DIM MAK, ORIGIN, THE RED CHORD, SKINLESS, POSSESSION, ANGELCORPSE), Colin Marston (bass; DYSRHYTHMIA, BEHOLD... THE ARCTOPUS, BYLA, KRALLICE, INDRICOTHERE) and Kevin Hufnagel (guitar; DYSRHYTHMIA, WHILE HEAVEN WEPT, BYLA, EUCLID STREET, THE FIFTH SEASON, GREY DIVISION BLUE) alongside Luc Lemay. War On Music Records in 2011 released on vinyl the GORGUTS albums "From Wisdom To Hate" (2001) and "Obscura" (1998). These records were largely regarded as pioneering works in the technical death metal genre, and set the standard for the decade to follow.
GORGUTS' current lineup is as follows:
* Luc Lemay (NEGATIVA) - Vocals, Guitar
* Kevin Hufnagel (DYSRHYTHMIA, WHILE HEAVEN WEPT, BYLA, EUCLID STREET, THE FIFTH SEASON, GREY DIVISION BLUE) - Guitar
* Colin Marston (DYSRHYTHMIA, BEHOLD... THE ARCTOPUS, BYLA, KRALLICE, INDRICOTHERE) - Bass
* John Longstreth (DIM MAK, ORIGIN, THE RED CHORD, SKINLESS, POSSESSION, ANGELCORPSE) – Drums
- Blabbermouth reports The Century Media Family has announced the launch of its official "Metal Of The Century" Spotify app offering over 20 million Spotify users access to tons of entertaining and informative features from the most successful and fascinating acts in metal, prog, rock, punk and hardcore. One of the app's primary features are playlists which are continuously updated by both artist and label contributors. Some of the first playlists to be spotlighted are by Anders Fridén (IN FLAMES), Greg Mackintosh (PARADISE LOST), Cristina Scabbia (LACUNA COIL) and BLEED FROM WITHIN. Check out playlists to see who inspired your favorite artists and who they're currently listening to. For fans that are more genre-inclined, each label from The Century Media Family is featured with its own section. Each label will list brand-new releases, news pieces, tour dates and offer shopping capabilities directly from CM Distro. The Century Media Family consists of primary rock and metal label Century Media Records (IN FLAMES, LACUNA COIL, ARCH ENEMY), prog leaders InsideOut Music (DEVIN TOWNSEND, STEVE HACKETT, RIVERSIDE, TRANSATLANTIC), alt prog label SuperBall Music (TRAIL OF DEAD, DREDG) and punk rock specialists People Like You Records (BROILERS, MAD SIN). For more information, visit Spotify.com.
- Loudwire reports High On Fire frontman Matt Pike talks metal alliance tour, sobriety + more
- Loudwire reports Puscifer offer stream of new song "Breathe"
- Loudwire reports Doro Pesch and Sister Sin rock New York City
- Loudwire posts an album review of "The Bronx (IV)" from The Bronx
- Diffuser.fm reports the Breeders have extended their reunion tour
- Classic Rock reports Hard Rock Hell 2013 unveils first bands including Nazareth, Love/Hate, Enuff Z’Nuff, Crucified Barbara and a co-headline appearance by Black Star Riders
- Noisecreep posts the premiere for the "Who You Are" video from Incura
- Noisecreep reports Nikki Sixx on turning his "The Heroin Diaries" book into a Broadway Musical
- Noisecreep posts an interview with The Misfits' Jerry Only on his teen music memories, the Jet Stream and more
- Noisecreep posts the video premiere of "Deathlike" by Ancient VVisdom
- Spinner reports David Bowie guitarist Earl Slick won't be surprised if he tours either way. Read more at NME
- Rolling Stone posts a flashback: Queen steal the show at Live Aid
- Rolling Stone posts Eric Clapton plays and talks at his London home
- Rolling Stone reports Amy Winehouse Foundation event teases first gala, set for March
- Billboard reports Coheed and Cambria on "Afterman" conclusion, "Amory Wars" film
- NME reports David Bowie's "Aladdin Sane" to get 40th anniversary reissue
- NME reports Liam Gallagher on Psy's gangman style: "It's an absolute classic"
- NME reports The Flaming Lips to release Valentine's Day album encased in chocolate heart
- NME reports Morrissey postpones more Stateside shows due to illness
- Blabbermouth posts video of Black Label Society's John "J.D." Deservio demonstrates signature bass at NAMM
- Blabbermouth posts video of Testament guitarist with AmpKit at NAMM
- Blabbermouth posts video of Soilwork frontman on "Attitude Inked"
- Blabbermouth posts video of in the hot tub with Dragonforce guitarist
- Blabbermouth posts a track-by-track breakdown of "Fast Loud Death" by Lost Society
- Blabbermouth posts new music vodeos from Kvelertak "'Bruane Brenn" and Armor Column "With Blood And Vengeance"
- Blabbermouth posts interviews with Guns N' Roses bassist Tommy Stinson on gear, Guns N' Roses guitarist Bumblefoot, Stone Sour, Philip Anselmo on his past drug use (read more at Loudwire), Black Label Society bassist, Tesla, Mike Tramp on White Lion and solo career, Saigon Kick drummer, Voivod drummer, Cancer Bats, Unearth, Cattle Decapitation, and Shai Hulud on the making of "Reach Beyond The Sun"
Read more quick hits at Classic Rock, Noisecreep and Spinner