- Blabbermouth reports according to The Hollywood Reporter, a judge has dismissed most of the lawsuit against Steven Tyler's attorney, Dina LaPolt, that alleged she cost Tyler a $6 to $8 million pay raise in 2011 in his contract for another season with "American Idol". Kovac Media Group (d/b/a Tenth Street Entertainment), which served as Tyler's personal manager, brought in a lawyer, Dina LaPolt, to help negotiate a new deal for the rocker at the end of "Idol"'s last season. The lawsuit, which was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, claims LaPolt told "American Idol"'s agent that Tenth Street Entertainment's principal, Allen Kovac, "overplayed his hand with his aggressive behavior" and that "American Idol" could get the Artist for cheap, thereby undermining and negating Kovac's/the Artist's position in the negotiations." Tyler filed a declaration on December 17 in which he explained he fired Tenth Street Entertainment because Kovac "was disrespectful and rude to my business associates, insulted and verbally abused my fiancée, my lawyer, my family, my assistants, and my accountants." Tyler announced his departure from "Idol" in July 2012 after serving as a judge for two seasons on the hit Fox program. The AEROSMITH frontman explained that he wanted to refocus on his music career.
- Blabbermouth reports Rock band SIXX: A.M. — which consists of bassist Nikki Sixx, guitarist DJ Ashba and vocalist James Michael — is continuing work on material for its third album. Speaking to Loudwire, Sixx stated about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the next CD: "We've got six [songs] done, so we'll probably knock another 10 around and then we'll figure out which 10 we put on a record and then we'll figure out when we're gonna release it." He continued: "The biggest problem for SIXX: A.M. is that I'm in MÖTLEY CRÜE. It's a great thing because people know of SIXX: A.M. because if they like me in MÖTLEY CRÜE, then they're willing to give it a listen. But, MÖTLEY CRÜE is a big machine and it's busy and it takes up a lot of time. So there's very little amount of time for me to take [SIXX: A.M.] out and tour. I think I would like to go out in 2013 and do some shows, maybe a month's worth of shows, just to kind of feel what it feels like. I think at some point I would like for SIXX: A.M. to be a bigger priority as far as a live act than it is now." Regarding how the new material is sounding, Sixx said: "This time we really want to fly on our own. We started out the songwriting process by having conversations about how far we can push ourselves musically … Our conversations were, 'Let's go as far to the left as we can, musically,' and once we finish up a handful of songs that are pretty out there … I don't even want to use any kind of references because it'll throw people and they won't really understand what I'm talking about. But we're just taking a lot of chances musically and at this point nothing sounds at all like SIXX: A.M. that you would know, because we're taking such huge leaps of faith that we're going to land on our feet. But once we finish what we have now, we're going to start backtracking into who we are as a band that we know at least. I think you're going to end up with some songs on the album that are sort of surprising and bands that always did that for me were like QUEEN. There would be songs on QUEEN's albums that would be like, 'I can't even believe that came out of a rock band,' and that's what we want to do. We want to take those leaps of faith and in the end, we are a rock band so we'll go back to that at some point." SIXX: A.M., made a rare appearance — its first in four years — on April 11, 2012 at Revolver Golden Gods Awards at Club Nokia in Los Angeles. As each band member has been kept busy with their other careers — Sixx is also the bassist for MÖTLEY CRÜE and a syndicated radio host; Ashba is currently touring with GUNS N' ROSES; James Michael is a famed rock producer who is currently working on new records for PAPA ROACH, HALESTORM and others — this marked the band's first chance to perform in support of their current album, "This Is Gonna Hurt", which supplied the #1 rock anthem "Lies Of The Beautiful People". "7", the latest EP from SIXX: A.M., came out in December 2011 and sold around 2,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The effort contained acoustic versions of songs from the group's first two albums — 2007's "The Heroin Diaries" soundtrack and 2011's "This Is Gonna Hurt". Released on May 3, 2011, SIXX: A.M.'s sophomore album, "This Is Gonna Hurt" is a companion piece to Sixx's "This Is Gonna Hurt: Music, Photography And Life Through The Distorted Lens Of Nikki Sixx" book, a follow-up to his New York Times bestseller, "The Heroin Diaries".
- Blabbermouth reports legendary rocker Sammy Hagar (CHICKENFOOT, VAN HALEN, MONTROSE) has revealed to Las Vegas Magazine that he is currently in the studio with his group the WABORITAS "rehearsing and writing songs." He added: "We're putting something out this year and we'll probably go out and do 25-30 shows." Hagar revealed in a holiday video message that CHICKENFOOT will take 2013 off to focus on other projects. He said: "Joe's [Satriani, CHICKENFOOT guitarist] doing his thing and Chad's [Smith, CHICKENFOOT drummer] just coming off a [RED HOT] CHILI PEPPERS tour and he's not gonna wanna go into the studio. So I think Mikey [CHICKENFOOT/ex-VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony] and I and the WABOS, we'll just go out and do some stuff." That "stuff" will likely include "more shows, maybe a proper tour" and possibly even a new record." CHICKENFOOT recently reissued its gold-selling 2009 self-titled debut as a double-disc set. The new version features bonus live tracks recorded on the group's tour behind its sophomore studio effort, "III" CHICKENFOOT's most recent touring lineup included legendary drummer/musician Kenny Aronoff, who was filling in for Smith while Chad was on the road with RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS. Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth reports Welsh metallers BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE will release thier fourth studio album, "Temper Temper", on February 12. The LP will be available in both standard and deluxe editions on RCA Records. "Temper Temper" was once again produced by Don Gilmore (LINKIN PARK, GOOD CHARLOTTE), who worked on the group's last LP, 2010's "Fever", and was mixed by noted engineer Chris Lord-Alge (DEFTONES, NICKELBACK, AVENGED SEVENFOLD). Speaking to Cameron Edney of Australia's Scene magazine, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE frontman Matt Tuck stated about the lyrical themes covered on the new CD: "'Temper Temper' is about losing touch with each other and losing touch with reality in the band, taking things for granted. "There was a part of the last touring cycle where, for the first time in the 20 years that we've known each other, we started to dislike each other a little bit and weren't hanging out together. That's why the album is called 'Temper Temper'. That's why a lot of the songs are called what they are, and the lyrical content reflects those times. This album is the most personal album I've ever written. It was a weird time for us." As personal as the album is, there are some songs Tuck connects with more than others. "'Breaking Point' is an important one; it's the first one we wrote for the album," he said. "I think the first song you write is the most important 'cause it really sets the tone for where the album is going. Lyrically, I think 'Living Life (On The Edge Of A Knife)' and 'Truth Hurts' are the most personal. They are delving into the darker side of being in BULLET, the rough times... drinking too much, experimenting with drugs, being a bit too rock 'n' roll. It's letting people know that it is an amazing lifestyle, but at times it can be a dark, lonely place, especially if you're not enjoying yourself. It's a shitty place to be when things get tough."
"Temper Temper" track listing:
01. Breaking Point
02. Truth Hurts
03. Temper Temper
05. Dirty Little Secret
07. Dead To The World
09. Saints n Sinners
10. Tears Don't Fall (Part 2)
11. Livin Life (On The Edge of A Knife)
Deluxe-edition bonus tracks:
12. Not Invincible
13. Whole Lotta Rosie (from the "Live Lounge" show on BBC Radio 1)
14. Scream Aim Fire (from the "Live Lounge" show on BBC Radio)
The "Temper Temper" title track was released on November 25 across all digital providers. BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE's video for the song "Riot" can be seen below. The clip was filmed in November in New York City with renowned director P.R. Brown, who has previously worked with such artists as MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE, John Mayer, Alicia Keys, Carrie Underwood, Prince, AUDIOSLAVE, MÖTLEY CRÜE and SIXX: A.M. BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE will embark on a U.K. tour in March. Support on all dates will come from HALESTORM.
- Blabbermouth reports former SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach is collaborating with ROB ZOMBIE/ex-MARILYN MANSON guitarist John 5 on music for Bach's next solo album. Says Sebastian: "People really got off on the [John 5-co-penned] track 'TunnelVision' from [Bach's last solo CD] 'Kicking & Screaming'. Well I am happy to report that once again I will be teaming up with Jonn 5 on new songs for the next album. We are both lookng forward to it! Along with [songwriting collaborations with] Steve Stevens [BILLY IDOL] and [Bach's new guitarist] Jeff George, there is going to be some superior axe shredding going on the new disc! Coming your way SOON!" Bach's brand new CD/DVD package, "ABachalypse Now", will be released in North America on March 26 via Frontiers Records. The "ABachalypse Now" Ultimate CD/DVD Edition includes never-before-seen footage from last year's Graspop Metal Meeting festival in Dessel, Belgium, the full never-before-seen Hellfest set from France and the fully-remixed and remastered Nokia show from Los Angeles (originally broadcast on AXS TV), as well as bonus music videos. The DVD contains a running time of nearly 160 minutes. "ABachalypse Now" will be available in two configurations: the Ultimate CD/DVD Edition (2 CDs + DVD) and a standalone DVD. According to Sebastian, "ABachalypse Now" will include "special guest appearances by Jinxx from BLACK VEIL BRIDES, Roy Z (HALFORD), and Brent Woods (VINCE NEIL)." Bach's most recent solo album, "Kicking & Screaming", sold 6,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 73 on The Billboard 200 chart. The singer's previous CD, "Angel Down", opened with 6,400 units back in November 2007 to debut at No. 190. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports hard rock queen Lita Ford has recruited Bobby Rock (VINNIE VINCENT INVASION, NELSON) to sit behind the kit for her upcoming shows in Australia, Europe and the U.S., as well as the Monsters Of Rock cruise in the Bahamas. Ford's touring drummer for much of 2012 was Scot Coogan, who has previously played with BRIDES OF DESTRUCTION, ACE FREHLEY and LYNCH MOB.
Lita's current touring lineup:
* Lita Ford - Guitar, Vocals
* Mitch Perry (MSG, ASIA, EDGAR WINTER) - Guitar
* Bobby Rock (VINNIE VINCENT INVASION, NELSON) - Drums
* Marty O'Brien (WE ARE THE FALLEN, TOMMY LEE, STATIC-X, DISTURBED) - Bass
Lita last year filmed a video for the song "Mother" in Joshua Tree, California. Directing the clip was Ford's former THE RUNAWAYS bandmate Victory Tischler-Blue, whose film "Edgeplay" was based on her tenure in the 1970s all-girl teenage rock act. "Mother" is dedicated to Lita's estranged sons, Rocco and James (father is former NITRO singer Jim Gillette). "I wrote this song for [my sons]," Lita recently told the Deciblog. "I wrote this song to tell them how much I love them and to tell them that I didn't mean for this to happen [for Lita to be forced to live apart from her kids following her divorce from Gillette. — Ed.] and that it's not my fault. I didn't do this to them, although they think I did. I miss them, I love them. They're my life." "It was hard to write," she told Examiner.com. "It was hard to record. It's hard to listen to. I find myself skipping over it sometimes, depending on how much makeup I have on that day. If I'm all made up, I'm like, 'Oh, can't cry right now!' I've done interviews where big, grown men tell me they've come away from it in tears. That's huge. That's what I wanted — for people to feel my pain. But it is a great song." "Living Like A Runaway" was released on June 19, 2012 in North America. The effort was made available in four configurations: a double LP, limited-edition CD, standard CD and digital download. The artwork for the album was created by famed rock photographer Mark Weiss.
- Blabbermouth reports singer Burton C. Bell of Los Angeles cyber metallers FEAR FACTORY has teamed up with Body Of Art, an art project that is raising funds for cancer research. Tattooed celebrities, tattoo artists, sports personalities and inspirational figures in the public eye are asked to pose for a portrait in the Body Of Art style. The works of art created are lifesize photographic sculptures that will be exhibited before being auctioned to raise funds for cancer research. Limited-edition prints from the project are available. Also available are posters, canvases and t-shirts. Other musicians who were photographed include: Corey Taylor (SLIPKNOT, STONE SOUR), Chris Adler (LAMB OF GOD), Barry Kerch (SHINEDOWN) and HALESTORM. For more information, visit BodyOfArtFoundation.com.
- Blabbermouth reports SEPULTURA guitarist Andreas Kisser will perform at Hendrix 70, a celebration of Jimi Hendrix's talent to mark what would have been the legendary axeman's 70th birthday, on February 1-3 at the SESC Vila Mariana in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Andreas Kisser (guitar and vocals)
Edgard Scandura (guitar and vocals)
Helio Flanders (vocals)
Lanny Gordin (guitar)
Martin (guitar and vocals)
Musical direction: Loco Sosa and Du Moreira
Du Moreira (bass)
Loco Sosa (drums)
Estevan Sinkovitz (guitar)
Video footage and photos of Kisser rehearsing for the event can be seen below (courtesy of Gato Preto Classics). Kisser's solo debut, "Hubris I & II", was nominated in the "Best Brazilian Rock Album" category at the 2010 Latin Grammys. "Hubris I & II" was released in June 2009 via Holland's Mascot Records. A two-disc set, the self-produced effort was recorded in part at A Voz do Brasil studio in São Paulo. Kisser was honored with a commemorative brick with his name on it, placed in the wall in front of Liverpool, England's legendary Cavern Pub, in a ceremony which took place on his 44th birthday, August 24, 2012. He is the first Brazilian artist to have his name eternalized in the Cavern wall that became famous when THE BEATLES made their first lunchtime appearance on Tuesday, February 9, 1961.
- Blabbermouth reports French symphonic/gothic metallers WHYZDOM have parted ways with singer Elvyne Lorient for "professional" reasons and have replaced her with Marie Rouyer. An eight-minute YouTube clip containing "a quick recording" of Marie's voice on four songs ("Atlantis", "The Road To Babylon", "Daughter Of The Night" and "Cathedral Of The Damned") from the band's two albums is available below. Rouyer will make her live debut with WHYZDOM on March 8 at the Night Of The Beauties festival in Herdorf (near Siegen), Germany. WHYZDOM's sophomore album, "Blind?", was released on October 30, 2012 via Scarlet Records. The CD was produced by Vynce Leff, recorded and mixed in Paris at Powermania Studio and mastered by Mathieu Gillon and Vynce Leff at 120dB Studio. The stunning artwork is a collaboration between X-Nihilo Design, Les Créations Vultus and Florent Cuaz. WYZDOM's debut album, "From The Brink Of Infinity", came out in September 2009 via Ascendance Records.
- Blabbermouth reports Swedish death metallers AMON AMARTH have enlisted former CANDLEMASS singer Messiah Marcolin to lay down guest vocals on their new album, due in June via Metal Blade Records. The CD is being helmed by British producer Andy Sneap, who has previously worked with (MEGADETH, EXODUS, MACHINE HEAD, ARCH ENEMY and ACCEPT. A couple of photos from the studio sessions in England with Marcolin can be seen below. Regarding AMON AMARTH's decision to work with Sneap after utilizing Jens Bogren for the band's last three studio efforts (2006's "With Oden On Our Side", 2008's "Twilight Of The Thunder God" and 2011's "Surtur Rising"), AMON AMARTH guitarist Olavi Mikkonen told Decibel magazine, "We were looking for a change, and Andy has been in our thoughts for some years now. After meeting with him, we felt a good connection. We think this is going to be a ripper." AMON AMARTH's eighth studio album, "Surtur Rising", sold around 15,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 34 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous CD, "Twilight of the Thunder God", opened with more than 11,000 copies back in 2008 to land at No. 48.
- Blabbermouth reports German heavy rockers THE NEW BLACK will release their third album, "III: Cut Loose", on March 15 via AFM Records. The effort will be made available in different configurations, including a "big, fat digipak" with loads of bonus tracks. According to a press release, "There's also talk of guest singers, free downloads and video clips with nasty spiders and middlefingers." "III: Cut Loose" was once again recorded and produced by the bandmembers themselves. Mixing duties were handled by Jacob Hansen (VOLBEAT, PRETTY MAIDS) who commented: "These guys completely floored me with their stylish mix of both modern metal and vintage rock 'n' roll. This is a band that could get big if things are done the right way!" The CD finds the band finetuning their signature style while keeping heaviness and catchiness fully intact. THE NEW BLACK's music has been described in the past in the following way: "This is our kind of party: BLACK LABEL SOCIETY bring the booze, PANTERA spice it up, THIN LIZZY add some taste, and ALTER BRIDGE smooth it over before METALLICA turn it black. And you can be there, too!" In April, THE NEW BLACK will embark on the "Rock'n'Roll Overdose" tour alongside PSYCHOPUNCH, MOTORJESUS, '77 and SUPERCHARGER. THE NEW BLACK's sophomore CD, "II: Better In Black", came out in January 2011 in Europe via AFM.
THE NEW BLACK is:
Fludid (Vocals) Christof "Leimsen" Leim (Guitar) Fabian "Fabs" Schwarz (Guitar) Günt (Bass) Chris Weiß (Drums)
- Blabbermouth reports Swiss old-school thrash metal veterans 2BLACK have signed a deal with Wormholedeath/Aural Music Group. The band's debut album, "Mind Infect", will be released in the spring through Aural Music Group. The CD was recorded and mixed at Mathlab Recording Studio in Italy with producer Jonathan Mazzeo (MECHANICAL GOD CREATION, THE WAY OF PURITY) and was mastered by Christian Donaldson of CRYPTOPSY. Commented the band: "2BLACK is very proud to announce the worldwide deal with Wormholdeath Records Italy!! A dream come true! After a lot of gigging and searching for a good company, finally 2BLACK found the correct partner in crime to go on! After the band's release of the self-produced EP, 'No Time To Die', in 2010, the appetite grow for a lot more! The cooperation with Wormholedeath and Mathlab Studio stilled the hunger for a moment. 2BLACK serve with the new album 'Mind Infect' a varied menu from melodic mid to brute uptempo old school thrash metal songs! Now the band is ready to take over!" Added Wormholedeath A&R representative "Worm": "I know that signing old-school thrash bands has become quite a big trend between the labels, but I can assure that we haven't signed 2BLACK for the trend... We really liked their 'in-your-face' attitude, and being myself a big fan of the '80s thrash scene, I wanted to start producing a little group of releases that are related to the old thrash tradition. 2BLACK's 'Mind Infect' is the first of these really cool relesaes as their album sounds just like a group of pirates assoulting a ship, just give them a try, they will force you to headbang so hard that you'll have to go to the hospital."
- Loudwire reports Pearl Jam meet with producer Brendan O’Brien for new album
- Loudwire reports Kid Rock partners with Harley-Davidson for 110th anniversary celebration
- Classic Rock posts music video from Canadian rockers Reverse Grip
- NME reports Pussy Riot's Nadezhda Tolokonnikova transferred to prison hospital
- Blabbermouth posts new video footage of Megadeth in the studio
- Blabbermouth posts video of Tommy Aldridge demonstrating Yamaha's live custom drum set at NAMM
- Blabbermouth posts performance footage of Jeff Loomis at Schecter party in Anaheim