Metallica will perform and be among the acts honored at the fifth annual Revolver Golden Gods Awards, which will take place on May 2nd at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles. Metallica will be presented with the Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award, which has been given in the past to Rush, Motley Crue, Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister and Ozzy Osbourne.
Drummer Lars Ulrich said in a statement, "Since the Revolver Golden Gods Awards is fast becoming THE most rocking awards ceremony in the hard rock world, we are beyond psyched to be at the receiving end of this shout out and in the distinguished company of Rush, Lemmy, Ozzy and Motley Crue. I was hanging out and presenting at the shenanigans two years ago and the energy in the room and the vibe backstage was beyond f***ing cool, so Metallica is chomping at the bit to partake in this year's event."
- Ulrich told us a while back that even more than three decades into the band's career, it isn't hard to stay inspired: "I don't use the word 'career,' 'hunger,' I use more words like 'fun.' As long as we keep it fun for ourselves and keep it kind of manageable, the days of the word 'career' and the business and, I don't know, it just seems kind of part of the past. Now it's just about, like, having fun and wanting to do it. You know, as long as it doesn't turn into too much work, it's not hard to be inspired."
- The Golden God award, given to an honoree that embodies the spirit of hard rock and metal, will be presented to Rob Zombie, while Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi will be bestowed with the Riff Lord award.
- Along with Metallica, the evening will also feature performances from Five Finger Death Punch, Anthrax, Stone Sour, Dillinger Escape Plan and Halestorm, with more acts expected to be added in the coming weeks.
- Stone Sour and In This Moment, meanwhile, will head out this March on the Revolver Road To The Golden Gods tour, which will run up to the ceremony itself in early May. Dates and cities will be unveiled soon.
- The event will broadcast live on AXS TV, and also via Xbox Live and Facebook. Tickets are on sale now at the official website or Ticketmaster.
CHECK IT OUT: Vote for the nominees in 11 different categories at www.GoldenGodsAwards.com
SIDE NOTES: The 2013 Revolver Golden Gods Award Show Nominees:
• John 5 (Rob Zombie band)
• Stephen Carpenter (Deftones)
• Alex Lifeson (Rush)
• Misha Mansoor (Periphery)
• Brendon Small (Dethklok)
• Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)
• Abe Cunningham (Deftones)
• Mario Duplantier (Gojira)
• Arejay Hale (Halestorm)
• Gene Hoglan (Dethklok & Testament)
• Roy Mayorga (Stone Sour)
• Neil Peart (Rush)
• Rex Brown (Kill Devil Hill)
• Steve Harris (Iron Maiden & solo)
• Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead)
• Geddy Lee (Rush)
• Jason Newsted (Newsted)
• Sergio Vega (Deftones)
• Phil Anselmo (Down & solo)
• Maria Brink (In This Moment)
• Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)
• Lzzy Hale (Halestorm)
• Chino Moreno (Deftones)
• Corey Taylor (Stone Sour & Slipknot)
Best New Talent:
• Miss May I
• Of Mice & Men
• Young Guns
Most Metal Athlete:
• Tom Crabtree (Green Bay Packers, NFL)
• Tanner Faust (Rally and drifting car racing)
• Clay Guida (Mixed Martial Arts fighting, UFC)
• Triple H (WWE wrestling)
• Geoff Rowley (Skateboarding)
• CJ Wilson (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, MLB)
Best Live Band
• Five Finger Death Punch
• Lamb of God
Comeback Of The Year
• The Darkness
• Tenacious D
Song Of The Year
• Asking Alexandria, "Run Free"
• Avenged Sevenfold, "Carry On"
• Black Veil Brides, "In The End"
• Dethklok, "I Ejaculate Fire"
• Halestorm, "Love Bites (So Do I)"
• In This Moment, "Blood"
Most Dedicated Fans:
• Black Label Society
• Black Veil Brides
• A Day To Remember
Album Of The Year:
• Deftones, Koi No Yokan
• Gojira, L'Enfant Sauvage
• Halestorm, The Strange Case of...
• Marilyn Manson, Born Villain
• Soundgarden, King Animal
• Stone Sour, House Of Gold & Bones Part 1
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Has this become a legit awards show or do you think it's just a jumping-on-the-awards-bandwagon kind of thing?
- Anyone missing from the nominees list that should be on there?
- Does Metallica making an appearance lend this thing some credibility?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
JJJB wrote: "Awards shows suck. Just like magazine 'lists' of the top 100 this or that."
Daken wrote: "Song of the year candidates are a JOKE. Except for 'I Ejaculate Fire,' which actually is a joke and better than the other songs."
tallwood13 wrote: "I like the idea of this I really do but this is such an awful list of stuff to choose from."
jim siedow wrote: "i had sincere hope that the GG awards would be an actual legitimate metal award show...i was wrong, its a hard rock mainstream metal award show at best."
Metallica's Lars Ulrich Says It's Not Hard To Stay Inspired
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock and Rolling Stone
Check out video at Blabbermouth
Check out a video report of the press conference at Blabbermouth
Check out performance footage of Sebastian Bach performing a Skid Row classic with Halestorm at press conference at Blabbermouth