The Lumineers and Jack White are among the acts newly added to the lineup of performers for the 55th annual Grammy Awards, as announced by the Recording Academy on Thursday (January 24th). They join previously confirmed rock artists Mumford And Sons, the Black Keys and Fun. Acts also confirmed to hit the stage at the music industry's biggest event include Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Dierks Bentley, Elton John and nominee Ed Sheeran.
The Lumineers are nominated for Best New Artist, while their self-titled debut is up for Best Americana Album. Drummer Jeremiah Fraites was asked at the Grammy nominations press conference if the band were preparing speeches in case they won: "We didn't start writing music to try to win a Grammy, and I think that if we win, great, if not, we'll continue to do our thing. So I think if we win, I don't know what the hell we'll say. And if we don't, then we won't have to say anything."
- Jack White, who has won nine previous Grammys, is up for three this time: Album Of The Year and Best Rock Album for his 2012 solo debut Blunderbuss, and Best Rock Song for "Freedom At 21."
- The Black Keys, Fun. and Mumford And Sons are all multiple Grammy nominees and all competing for Album of the Year as well.
- The gala music awards show, which is being hosted again by LL Cool J, will air live on CBS-TV beginning at 8:00 p.m. ET.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Do you plan to watch the Grammy Awards this year?
- This Grammy Awards show seems to have a pretty good lineup of rock artists, something lacking from other shows like the MTV Video Awards and the People's Choice Awards. Does this mean that the Recording Academy is getting more in tune with rock again?
INTERNET COMMENTS at RollingStone.com -- agree or not?
Theresa wrote: "Can't wait for Carrie Underwood, Jack White, and Mumford & Sons!"
Ryan J. Matthews II wrote: "Hopefully Jack will use the 'all-women' backing band on the grammy performance, I was really digging their chemistry on ACL a few weeks ago."
Pat wrote: "It would be great to hear Jack play something new no one has ever heard. Blunderbuss, Album of the Year."
Dirtywizzard wrote: "except for Jack White, that lineup sounds really boring."
Jeremiah Fraites Of The Lumineers On Grammy Speeches
Read more at Spinner, Rolling Stone and Billboard