Coming on March 26th will be the career spanning four-CD Stephen Stills box set, Carry On. The 82-track collection was compiled by Graham Nash and longtime Crosby, Stills, & Nash photographer and collaborator, Joel Bernstein with Stills' help and features a whopping 113-page booklet. The collection, which includes Stills best-loved works with the Buffalo Springfield, CSN, and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, along with his own solo work, features the oldest known Stills track in existence -- "Travelin'" -- a previously unreleased recording that Stills made at age 17 while his military dad was stationed in Costa Rica. The most recent cut stems from CSN's 2012 summer run at Manhattan's Beacon Theatre with a live rendition of "Girl From North Country."
Highlights on Carry On include "No-Name Jam" -- one of the many unreleased 1970 jams with Jimi Hendrix, along with such deep vault gems as "Welfare Blues" (1984), "Little Miss Bright Eyes" (1973), and "Who Ran Away?" (1968), and early demo versions of "49 Bye-Byes," David Crosby's "The Lee Shore," and "Black Coral" -- a song Stills and Neil Young released as a duo in 1976 -- with the newly released version being a full CSNY recording.
- Among the legendary musicians who appear on Carry On are Eric Clapton, Herbie Hancock, and Maynard Ferguson, among many, many more.
- After nearly 50 years in the business Stephen Stills told us that these days he's way wanting to know what critics say about his role in rock history or his current work: "It really will f*** you up. My father managed to do a really good job with my self-consciousness, so I don't need any more. I good artistic critique is about all that I'm up for (laughs)."
- Crosby, Stills & Nash U.S. tour dates (subject to change):
May 5 - Orlando, FL - Hard Rock Cafe / Hard Rock Live
May 7 - Clearwater, FL - Ruth Eckerd Hall
May 8 - Sarasota, FL - Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall
May 10, 11 - Hollywood, FL - Seminole Hard Rock Live
May 14 - Fort Myers, FL - Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall
May 15 - Melbourne, FL - King Center For Performing Arts
May 17 - Jacksonville, FL - Florida Theatre
May 19 - Charlotte, NC - Ovens Auditorium
May 21 - Greenville, SC - Peace Center Concert Hall
May 22 - Huntsville, AL - Von Braun Center
May 24 - Montgomery, AL - Montgomery Performing Arts Centre
May 25 - Biloxi, MS - Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Biloxi
- In 2007, Graham Nash assembled Stephen Stills' solo demos collection called Just Roll Tape: April 26th, 1968. The disc features early acoustic versions of such Crosby, Stills, & Nash classics as "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes," "Helplessly Hoping," and "Wooden Ships," among other tracks that eventually made their way onto later Stills solo albums.
- Back in 2009, Stills released Manassas: Pieces, which features 15 outtakes and rarities from his groundbreaking early '70s country rock ensemble with Byrds co-founder Chris Hillman. The set also featured guest spots by Joe Walsh and Bonnie Raitt.
CHECK IT OUT: Stephen Stills in 1980 performing "Word Game":
Stephen Stills On Dealing With Criticism
Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock and Rolling Stone