Paul Simon took time out on his website (PaulSimon.com) to defend Art Garfunkel, after his occasional partner was the butt of a joke in Judd Apatow's new comedy, This Is 40. Simon, who contributed his 2011 song, "Rewrite" to the picture, took exception at Leslie Mann's character complaining to on-screen husband Paul Rudd that he had relegated her to the being 'the "Art Garfunkel" role in their relationship -- equating the singer with being the "less important" member of the relationship.
Simon's message reads: "Just saw This Is 40. Funny. But joke about Art Garfunkel was not. He was the great singer of (Simon & Garfunkel) and a gifted record producer. Nothing laughable about his talent."
- In the recent documentary, The Harmony Game, which chronicles the recording of Simon & Garfunkel's 1970 swan song, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon breaks down the magic behind the duo's classic sound: "With Simon & Garfunkel, we would sing a take together on mic -- on one mic. And when we got the take that we wanted, then we would double it individually. I would sing my part individually on mic, and Artie would sing his individually on mic. And when you combine them together, and they would be, y'know, perfectly in sync; that's what Simon & Garfunkel sounded like. That's what the sound was."
- Recently released is Paul Simon's latest concert collection, Live In New York City -- Simon's first new live collection ion over 20 years. The 20-song set recorded on June 6th, 2011 features most of Simon's leg closing stand at Manhattan's Webster Hall in support of his latest studio set, the critically acclaimed, So Beautiful Or So What. Live In New York City is available in three formats: a double CD/single DVD special package, Blu-Ray, and a standard DVD.
- The tracklisting for Paul Simon's Live In New York City is: "The Obvious Child," "Dazzling Blue," "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover," "So Beautiful Or So What," "Mother And Child Reunion," "That Was Your Mother," "Hearts And Bones," "Crazy Love, Vol. II," "Slip Slidin' Away," "Rewrite," "The Boy In The Bubble," "The Only Living Boy In New York," "The Afterlife," "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes," "Gumboots," "The Sound Of Silence," 'Kodachrome," 'Gone At Last," "Late In The Evening," and "Still Crazy After All These Years."
- Out now is the new Art Garfunkel solo compilation, The Singer. The set, which was compiled with Garfunkel's assistance, spans his entire career -- from Simon & Garfunkel through such solo classics as Angel Claire, Breakaway, Watermark, Scissors Cut -- up through his most recent collection, 2007's Some Enchanted Evening.
- Among the highlights on the set are such Simon & Garfunkel classics, "Scarborough Fair/Canticle," "Old Friends/Bookends," "A Hazy Shade Of Winter," "Mrs. Robinson," "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "The Boxer," "Cecilia," "So Long Frank Lloyd Wright," "El Condor Pasa," "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her (live)," "Song For The Asking (live)," and "Kathy's Song (live)."
CHECK IT OUT: Simon & Garfunkel reunite on Saturday Night Live on October 18th, 1975:
Paul Simon On The Sound Of Simon & Garfunkel