Singer Eddie Vedder gave an update to Rolling Stone on the status of the band's 10th studio album, which will follow up 2009's Backspacer. He said, "(We're) maybe halfway there. We're taking our time . . . at some point, we'll join forces again for sure, but the band is as healthy as ever and I'm sure it's good to get a little break from each other." He added, "We'll be ready to go when we're ready to go." Vedder also said that he and his bandmates "really work together as a unit these days. It's really the compilation of all the parts. It's not like one guy trying to tell everybody, 'These are my songs. This is what it should sound like.' We've figured out after all these years that if everybody just puts their stamp on it, then it sounds like how we want it to." (Loudwire) Read more at Rolling Stone and Classic Rock
- Former Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver drummer Matt Sorum has entered the studio to begin recording his new solo album. Sorum said that the project "will not be a rock record and I am not playing drums on it. (I am) singing and (playing) acoustic (guitar) mainly, (and) using another drummer (for the recording sessions)." Sorum, who issued his first solo effort, Hollywood Zen, added that his new music sounds like "a cross between The Doors, Pink Floyd, Wilco, David Gray, Peter Murphy and Portishead." (Blabbermouth)
- Nonpoint will kick off a new U.S. winter tour on January 18th in St. Charles, Illinois, with support coming from Candlelight Red and Digital Summer. Dates are booked through mid-February as Nonpoint continues to support its self-titled seventh studio album and current single, "Left For You." Newly confirmed tour dates are (subject to change):
January 18 - St Charles, IL - River Rock House
January 19 - Rochester, MN - The Wicked Moose
January 20 - Fargo, ND - House Of Rock 2 The Hub
January 22 - Minot, ND - Original bar & Nightclub
January 23 - Mandan ND - O.N.E
January 24 - Casper, WY - The Place
January 25 - Denver, CO - Marquis Theater
January 26 - Colorado Springs, CO - The Black Sheep
January 27 - Cheyenne, WY - Atlas Theater
January 28 - Grand Junction, CO - Mesa Theater and Club
January 29 - Salt Lake City, UT - In The Venue
January 30 - Billings, MT - Manny's
January 31 - Missoula, MT - The Palace Lounge
February 1 - Boise, ID - Knitting Factory
February 2 - Spokane, WA - Knitting Factory
February 3 - Seattle, WA - El Corazon
February 5 - Sacramento, CA - Ace Of Spades
February 6 - Reno, NV - Knitting Factory
February 8 - Las Vegas, NV - Vinyl @ The Hard Rock Hotel
February 9 - West Hollywood, CA - The Roxy Theater
February 10 - Scottsdale, AZ - Pub Rock Live
February 11 - El Paso, TX - Tricky Falls
February 12 - Abilene, TX - The Lucky Mule
February 13 - Denton, TX - Rocking Rodeo
February 15 - Shreveport, LA - The Riverside
February 16 - Destin, FL - Club LA
February 17 - Savannah, GA - Wild Wing Cafe (Loudwire)
- Buckcherry has posted a teaser trailer online for "Gluttony," the first single and video from the band's new studio album, Confessions. The full video, which was filmed in November and features fans recruited through an open casting call, will debut on January 16th, with the CD due out on February 19th. The set is loosely inspired by the seven deadly sins, with singer Josh Todd basing his lyrics on events that occurred in his childhood. (HenneMusic) Read more at Blabbermouth
CHECK IT OUT: Watch the teaser trailer for Buckcherry's "Gluttony":
- Adele's album, 21 was 2012's best-selling album in the US. This marks the first time during the SoundScan era that the same album has taken the top spot two years in a row. According to Billboard, 21 sold 4.41 million copies in 2012. 21 was also the 21st album to sell 10 million copies since SoundScan started tracking music sales in 1991. Read more at Rolling Stone, Billboard and NME
- Blabbermouth reports legendary rocker Ted Nugent, who is an avid supporter of gun rights and antagonist of President Barack Obama, has written an open letter to Vice President Joe Biden, offering his advice and suggestions on how to focus on the mental health care system to stop potentially violent citizens from acting out crimes. In the letter, which was posted on The Washington Times web site, Nugent writes, "As you gather your team to study massacres and how to stop them, I offer to you my services and a lifetime of expertise on guns in all their implementations... In the spirit of goodwill and a deep desire to end gut-wrenching, incredibly sad and senseless rampages, I offer you the following recommendations: "I encourage you to persuade the president to lead this effort by providing a number of public service announcements. The announcements should include watching out for each other, encouraging parents to be more involved in their children's lives regarding entertainment choices, and knowing various indicators we should watch for in people who are unstable. Clearly, the focus on solving these mass murders must be on the mentally ill. "In almost every instance of mass killing, there were ample red flags and warning alarms that either were avoided or were not acted upon by mental health professionals, family members, friends and acquaintances. While I deeply respect an individual's privacy and civil liberties, the American people need basic awareness of what indicators to look for regarding potentially violent, psychotic people. Our collective safety begins with being collectively vigilant." Nugent adds, "I don't encourage you to recommend a ban on any weapon, magazine capacity or type of ammunition. That won't accomplish anything other than prevent the 99.9 percent of responsible, law-abiding Americans from enjoying these modern weapons as we do now. "We should never recommend or develop public policy that restricts the rights of the good guys based upon what evil people do or might do. If that were the case, alcohol still would be banned. As you may know, drunk drivers kill an estimated 12,000 Americans each year and hurt tens of thousands more." You can read the entire letter at WashingtonTimes.com. Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports on February 5, Friday Music will release the deluxe edition of DEEP PURPLE's "Slaves And Masters", the only album featuring former RAINBOW/FANDANGO singer Joe Lynn Turner. Now remastered, the LP features two rare bonus tracks: "Slow Down Sister" (B-side of "Love Conquers All" 12-inch and 45 rpm single) and the hard-to-find 45 rpm single edit of "Love Conquers All", as well as including rare RCA label memorabilia. A press release states: "Featuring the Mark V DEEP PURPLE lineup of Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Paice, Jon Lord, Roger Glover and new addition hard rocker Joe Lynn Turner, 'Slaves And Masters' was a nice way to kick in a new decade with this one time configuration. Most notably hard-rocking tracks like 'Fire In The Basement', 'King Of Dreams' and the international hit power ballad 'Love Conquers All' helped make this a much-played album at rock radio from day one of its release. Even through all their well-documented changes over the years, DEEP PURPLE as reigning kings of hard rock and heavy metal shined through on this album. It’s easy to hear why... the familiarity of the band was still there with its guitar shredding maestro Ritchie Blackmore, the powerful drum sound of Ian Paice, Jon Lord's iconic keyboard work, Roger Glover's slammin' bass, and Joe Lynn Turner's hard rockin’ vocals, 'Slaves And Masters' was a winning affair." Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock
"Slaves And Masters" deluxe edition track listing:
01. King Of Dreams
02. The Cut Runs Deep
03. Fire In The Basement
04. Truth Hurts
05. Breakfast In Bed
06. Love Conquers All
08. Too Much Is Not Enough
09. Wicked Ways
10. Slow Down Sister *
11. Love Conquers All (single edit) *
* Bonus tracks
- Blabbermouth reports after a long and successful run as guitarist for the legendary thrash metal act ANTHRAX, Rob Caggiano has decided that it's time to move on and focus on his other passion: producing records for the time being. Already an acclaimed rock and metal producer, Rob has amassed a long list of production credits working with acts such as CRADLE OF FILTH (on their Grammy-nominated classic "Nymphetamine"), THE DAMNED THINGS, and Jesse Malin to name a few. Rob's production work on the most recent ANTHRAX studio album, "Worship Music", received high recognition, as the track "I'm Alive" received a Grammy nomination for "Best Rock/Metal Performance". Being a member of the mighty ANTHRAX for the better part of the last 12 years is something that Caggiano is of course very proud of. This was not an easy decision to make. "I'm extremely proud of my time in ANTHRAX," Caggiano says. "Actually, that's an understatement! We accomplished so many great things together over the years and I shared some of the best times of my life with these guys. As a band, we also weathered quite a few storms along the way. It's been a wild ride (to say the least) from Day One and I wouldn't change one single thing about the last 12 years. "This is an extremely difficult and emotional decision for me to make, but my heart is just steering me in a different direction right now. I've always been one to follow my heart in everything that I do and while this might be one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make, it feels like the right one for me at this time. Scott [Ian, guitar], Charlie [Benante, drums], Joey [Belladonna, vocals], Frankie [Bello, bass] (and [former ANTHTRAX singer] John Bush) will always be part of my family and this decision doesn't change the way I feel about that in the slightest. I would also like to say thanks to all the amazing fans I've met and hung out with worldwide over the years. You guys always were and always will be the reason why I make music! "In this day and age, being a musician isn't always easy — also an understatement — but the fans truly make it worthwhile for me. I hope to see each and every one of you again really soon. The fact that ANTHRAX is at the top of their game right now and totally 'out for blood' after all these years is a testament to this band's longevity and conviction! I'm truly honored to have been a part of their brilliant legacy." Added the remaining members of ANTHRAX: "Rob has been an integral part of ANTHRAX for so many years, as our lead guitarist, in a production capacity, but most of all, as our close friend. His contributions to the band have been enormous. While we are sad that he is leaving, we wish him nothing but great success going forward, and hope to share the stage with him again sometime down the road. "With the Metal Alliance Tour on the horizon, we have been considering several lead guitarist options, and will be making an announcement on that shortly." Last September, Scott Ian said that he was confident that ANTHRAX's most recent formation would carry them into retirement. "I've gone on record saying this will be the only version of ANTHRAX until there is no ANTHRAX," Ian told the Georgia Straight. "That's how I feel, absolutely, in my heart. I don't see why we would do anything different. This band sounds so great; we made a great record. And I'm super-excited about the future of this band creatively." With this new direction, Caggiano very much looks forward to getting back to producing/recording/writing again in the immediate future. "I can't wait to get back in the recording studio again!" he says. "Over the years, I've been blessed with the privilege of working with a wide range of great bands/artists from ANTHRAX and CRADLE OF FILTH all the way to BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, and I look forward to a hopeful continuation of that side of my career while I figure out my next move as an artist. "By the way, in case anyone was wondering after reading all of this, I do FULLY intend to get back out there on the road very soon in some way shape or form... It's in my blood! "Please feel free to follow me on Twitter @RobCaggiano for any and all updates on what I am up to." Read more at Loudwire, Classic Rock, Noisecreep and Billboard
- Blabbermouth reports GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal makes a guest appearance in the track "In My Head" from New York-based, female-fronted rockers CILVER. CILVER features in its ranks former ME TALK PRETTY members Uliana Preotu (lead vocals), Leon Lyazidi (guitar, keyboards) and Guerin Blask (drums). They were recently joined by guitarist Gerry Soman (DIFFUSER, THE PENNYROYALS) and bass player Josh Pillbox (THE RECKLESS SONS, MIKE DEL RIO, NATURE OF CITY). In 2011 and 2012, CILVER, then known as ME TALK PRETTY, embarked on a journey across 44 cities in the USA with a message; the American Dream needs health insurance. Inspired by the passing of Preotu's mother due to pneumonia, the band stripped down a song, painted a standup Piano White, and recruited people to put their hand print from the stage. In the end, 88 hands represented 88 voices for stopping such a treatable disease to be the cause of any death. The Hand Print Piano was put up for auction soon and proceeds were donated to fight pneumonia on World Pneumonia Day on November 12, 2012.
- Blabbermouth reports renowned drummer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Brian Tichy, known for his tours of duty with BILLY IDOL, FOREIGNER and OZZY OSBOURNE, has announced his departure from WHITESNAKE in order to focus on SOMETHING UNTO NOTHING (S.U.N.), the band he started with Sass Jordan, a Canadian icon and Juno Award winner. Bassist and singer Michael Devin, also a participant in S.U.N., will remain with WHITESNAKE. Said WHITESNAKE mainman David Coverdale: "We are truly sad to see [Brian] go, but, we fully support the pursuit of his ambitions and sincerely wish him well. His fearless drumming brought a relentless driving edge and to our music that we fully embraced. Good luck, Brian. May the S.U.N. shine brightly on you!!" WHITESNAKE has begun the search for a new drummer. There are several musicians already being considered. A spokesman for the band said that this will not affect the forthcoming tour dates for 2013. As previously reported, Tichy broke his collarbone last weekend in a mountain biking accident. As a result, he wasunable to take part in this past Monday night's (December 31) THE MOBY DICKS - All-Star Tribute To Led Zeppelin concert at Vamp'd in Las Vegas, Nevada and was temporarily replaced by QUIET RIOT's Frankie Banali. Tichy is one of the organizers of the Bonzo Bash NAMM Jamm 2013, which will take over Anaheim, California on Thursday, January 24 at the Observatory. Many of the drummers who have performed at past Bonzo Bashes are back, as well as some new. This is the chance for many out-of-towners to check a Bonzo Bash out as Natal and Marshall are presenting this on opening night of the NAMM show. Read more at Classic Rock and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth posts video footage of the three-robot act COMPRESSORHEAD playing a stirring rendition of the classic MOTÖRHEAD anthem "Ace Of Spades" during band practice at the Robocross headquarters in Berlin can be seen below. COMPRESSORHEAD, which hails from Germany and consists of guitarist Fingers, bassist Bones and drummer Stickboy, will perform at this year's edition of Australia's Big Day Out festival. Playing a selection of well-known covers, the mechanical trio will join the likes of RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, THE KILLERS, VAMPIRE WEEKEND, BAND OF HORSES, CHILDISH GAMBINO and ALABAMA SHAKES. "When Stickboy debuted at Big Day Out 2008, I knew that if he found the right musicians to work with the sky would be the limit," said Big Day Out producer Ken West. "Stickboy's solo performance is still the most viewed YouTube act performing that year including RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE. Now with Fingers and Bones by his side, I believe the world debut of COMPRESSORHEAD at Big Day Out 2013 will be the highlight not to be missed." COMPRESSORHEAD's mission statement: "Did you ever wonder what Danny Carey would sound like if he had four arms? "How about if Angus Young had 78 fingers? Imagine what Robert Trujillo would sound like if he was actually made of metal? "Well, wonder no more, meatbags. "COMPRESSORHEAD is the world's heaviest metal band. "Stickboy, Fingers and Bones are guaranteed to shake and rattle the world of meatbag music. "Stickboy was created to exacting specifications. Four arms, two legs, one head, no brain. he plays a Pearl 14-piece kit with double kick. Stickboy junior, the bastard child of an unknown mother, takes control of the hihat shuffle. Inception date: 2007. "Fingers joined Stickboy in 2009 and brings 78 purpose-built fingers, enough to play the entire fret board and pluck. "Bones is the highest-precision bass player in known existence, and the youngest member of the band. Inception date: 2012. "Stand aside, meatbags. Oil is thicker than blood." Read more at Loudwire and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports Athena Lee, ex-wife of SCORPIONS drummer James Kottak and MÖTLEY CRÜE drummer Tommy Lee's sister, is taking fan-submitted questions via the Fuse.tv web site. Ask Athena for advice on love, relationships, music — or anything else you've been dying to know! Fuse will go through all the questions submitted and have Athena answer their favorites during an exclusive video chat to be posted on Fuse.tv in the coming weeks. Submit your questions for Athena now in the comments here or tweet your questions at @FuseTV using the hashtag #AskAnExWife. Athena is one of the stars of "Ex-Wives Of Rock", the new reality series which "chronicles the highs and lows of the glamorous L.A. lives of four women who have led the sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll life... and have survived to reinvent themselves." The show, which is co-produced by the FEMME FATALE frontwoman Lorraine Lewis, follows video vixen Susan Dixon (ex-wife of WARRANT bassist Jerry Dixon); Bobbie Brown (ex-wife of WARRANT frontman Jani Lane); Athena Lee; and Sharise Neil (ex-wife of MÖTLEY CRÜE frontman Vince Neil). Throughout each episode, you see all sides of the four ex-wives: the good, the bad and the ugly. We witness family drama, messed up love lives and friendships crash and burn. We see the glamorous red-carpet events, the seedy rock clubs, the fabulous hotel lunches and the quiet dinners at home. Kottak, who joined the SCORPIONS in 1996, filed legal documents in September asking the court to change a decision that was made in July that awarded Athena Lee primary custody of their 15-year-old son and ordered him to pay more than $3,000 a month in child and spousal support. The couple has three children; one girl, Tobi, and two boys, Miles and Matthew. Athena said in a promotional clip for the "Ex-Wives Of Rock" show, "Marrying a musician is not a bad idea — it's the worst idea ever." She also described her marriage to Kottak as "miserable."
Video below: Athena Lee introduction video from "Ex-Wives Of Rock"
- Blabbermouth reports "Put It To The Torch", the new video from Connecticut hardcore/metal masters HATEBREED, will make its online debut on Monday, January 7. The song comes off the band's latest CD, "The Divinity Of Purpose", whicih is available for pre-order on iTunes (in the United States and Canada). When fans pre-order the album, they'll also receive an instant download of "Put It To The Torch". "The Divinity Of Purpose" will be released on January 29 in North America via Razor & Tie and on January 25 in Europe through Nuclear Blast. The CD was co-produced by HATEBREED, Chris "Zeuss" Harris (SUICIDE SILENCE, ALL THAT REMAINS, SHADOWS FALL) and Josh Wilbur (LAMB OF GOD, AVENGED SEVENFOLD), with Wilbur also handling mixing duties. The cover artwork was created and illustrated by Eliran Kantor (TESTAMENT, ATHEIST, SIGH, ANACRUSIS, GWAR) and can be seen below.
"The Divinity Of Purpose" track listing:
01. Put It To the Torch
02. Honor Never Dies
03. Own Your World
04. The Language
05. Before The Fight Ends You
07. Dead Man Breathing
08. The Divinity Of Purpose
09. Nothing Scars Me
10. Bitter Truth
11. Boundless (Time To Murder It)
12. Idolized And Vilified
Regarding the musical direction of the new HATEBREED material, singer Jamey Jasta told "Maximum Threshold", "We did enough experimenting, I think, on the last record… A lot of people really liked that record and it did gain us a lot of new fans, but on this record, with the 10-year anniversary of [HATEBREED's 2002 album] 'Perseverance' and with Wayne [Lozinak, guitar] being back in the band — this will be his second record with us — it's just fun to kind of keep with the old-school influences. I hear more CRO-MAGS and KILLING TIME and SHEER TERROR and OBITUARY and BOLT THROWER and SLAYER and ENTOMBED and those kind of '80s and '90s influences in there. Which is fun for us, because we emulate the bands that we love. We try to make it our own sound and make it our own style, but at the end of the day, we're just fans of those styles of bands." "The Divinity Of Purpose" will be supported by extensive global touring that will stretch well into 2014.
"The Divinity Of Purpose" trailer #2:
"The Divinity Of Purpose" trailer #1:
"Put It To The Torch" lyric video:
- Blabbermouth reports it's official: California metallers BLEEDING THROUGH are calling it a day. Prior to going their separate ways, they will embark on one final tour spanning North America, Europe and Australia. The Orange County band began 14 years ago, embarking on countless international tours, inspiring multiple logo/lyric tattoos on rabid supporters, releasing no less than seven studio albums and two DVDs and changing the face of heavy music alongside the rest of the NWOAHM (New Wave Of American Heavy Metal). BLEEDING THROUGH participated in two Ozzfests, Vans Warped Tour, MTV2's Headbanger's Ball Tour, Australia's Soundwave festival, Europe's Never Say Die! and more. They've supported bands like SLAYER, MARILYN MANSON, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, AFI, HIM and MACHINE HEAD. Over the years, they headlined the Strhess Tour and other package tours. Their U.S. headlining trek in support of "The Truth" featured support from EVERY TIME I DIE, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME and HASTE THE DAY and sold out two nights back to back at the Anaheim House Of Blues. BLEEDING THROUGH has been featured on the cover of magazines like Outburn and Metal Edge. Alternative Press included their albums in "Most Anticipated" lists and Revolver twice featured keyboardist Marta Peterson on the cover of their "Hottest Chicks in Metal" issues. The band's breakthrough album, "This is Love, This is Murderous", sold close to 150,000 copies in the U.S. alone. The follow-up CD, "The Truth", sold over 17,000 copies in its first week of releae in January 2006. They worked with producers Ulrich Wild (STATIC-X), Rob Caggiano (ANTHRAX), Devin Townsend (MISERY SIGNALS, GWAR, LAMB OF GOD) and Chris "Zeuss" Harris (MUNICIPAL WASTE) over the years. BLEEDING THROUGH began as a side-project for then-EIGHTEEN VISIONS guitarist Brandan Schieppati, whose lyrics and persona remained the consistent voice through the band's evolving lineup. "Dust To Ashes" was issued by Prime Directive in 2001. Brian Leppke (guitar) and Derek Youngsma (drums) joined for the following year's "Portrait Of The Goddess" on Indecision. Ryan Wombacher (bass) and Peterson had come onboard by the time "This Is Love..." was issued in 2003. Lead guitarist Scott Danough was the last founding member (aside from Schieppati) to part ways with the band sometime after the release of "The Truth". Dave Nassie (ex-NO USE FOR A NAME) contributed a guest solo to 2008's "Declaration" and was an official member by the time the band released their 2010 self-titled album on Rise Records. Last year, Rise released "The Great Fire". "This is Love..." and "The Truth" were released internationally through Roadrunner. "Declaration" was issued overseas by Nuclear Blast. In North America, those albums were handled by Trustkill. BLEEDING THROUGH's struggles with Trustkill Records became public in 2008. Trustkill eventually filed for bankruptcy, reportedly owing significant sums to BLEEDING THROUGH, THROWDOWN and other bands. Through it all, BLEEDING THROUGH always relied on their fans, who often shared stories with how much their music had helped them, in turn. In an exclusive statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET, Schieppati had this to say regarding the band's decision to wrap things up with BLEEDING THROUGH with final tours in 2013: "When you have some success doing something that you love, you never really think about writing a statement about that something coming to an end. Well, that dream that we have had as BLEEDING THROUGH has come to an end. "I think I can speak for the rest of my bandmates in saying that we always hoped it would end on our terms, and it has. "We have been fortunate to have a strong fan base worldwide and have brought joy to many and pissed off many more. "BLEEDING THROUGH was always a band that wore the emotion of the music on our sleeves. We cared about everyone like family that ever took the time to listen to our band, support our merchandise and go to our shows. "Since 1999, we have been blessed to be able to tour the world, record seven records with some great musical minds, tour with amazing bands and people, work with people with character such as management, booking agents and road crew. Most importantly, we made lasting friends from this journey. "We have been honored to be part of a expanding the musical movement of heavy music and hope to be remembered as a benchmark and pioneer of a specific style of music. "We have been a band since 1999, and many of us just had life catch up with us in the way of marriages, kids, businesses and other endeavors. We can no longer dedicate what we need to to keep BLEEDING THROUGH going. "Personally, I feel doing this band in a part-time fashion is not what this band is about and and feel like we have always been an all-or-nothing band. With that being said, and because we have established a worldwide following over the last 14 years, we want to give us and those people one more chance to share in this music together. We are setting up farewell tours. Dates will be up and promoted very soon. "To those who supported this band: It has been an honor." The other members of BLEEDING THROUGH will issue personal letters via social-networking sites as well, so stay tuned. Read more at Loudwire and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports drummer André Hilgers of German power metallers RAGE will be offering private lessons during two weeks in February. The lessons will cover basics in rhythm and techniques, practical know-how as well as setup of drum kit, etc. This is your chance to learn from a top professional by being able to discuss specific subjects as well as ask questions during these one-on-one sessions. The lessons will take place at the RAGE rehearsal room in Sendenhorst, Germany every day between February 11 and February 24. Interested parties should send their names and contact/phone numbers to: firstname.lastname@example.org. André will then contact you to confirm an individual appointment for your lesson.
- Blabbermouth reports SUBSIGNAL, the German band featuring former SIEGES EVEN members Arno Menses (vocals) and Markus Steffen (guitar), will enter the studio in February to begin recording its third album, "Paraìso", for a September release. The group states: "We will be recording nine tracks with an approximate playing time of 60 minutes." The follow-up to 2011's "Touchstones" will include the following songtitles, among others: "A Giant Leap Of Faith" and "The Stillness Beneath The Snow". SUBSIGNAL released a concert DVD, "Out There Must Be Something - Live in Mannheim 2012", in November. The DVD features the full show the band played in April 2012 in Mannheim, Germany, in a very small venue, filmed with six cameras. Steffen states: "Actually, this is the place where the first SUBSIGNAL show back in 2009 took place." He adds, "Don't expect explosions, fire and naked women on stage, but a DVD with 140 minutes of pure SUBSIGNAL music and a great audience." SUBSIGNAL recently parted ways with drummer Roel van Helden and replaced him with Danilo Batdorf (DREAMSCAPE). According to the band, Danilo already successfully played the last leg of SUBSIGNAL's European tour in April/May 2012. "Touchstones" was released in September 2011 via ZYX Music. The vinyl version came with two bonus live tracks, "Where Angels Fear To Tread" and "Paradigm". SUBSIGNAL describes its music as "progressive, melancholic, cutting edge, emotional, blended with a good portion of melodic heaviness." For more information, visit www.subsignalband.com.
- Blabbermouth reports Christopher Lucas Selby, the 27-year-old guitarist of the Nashville, Tennessee-based metal band OBLIVION MYTH, was arrested on January 1 and charged with attempted first-degree murder. According to WSMV.com, a call was placed on Tuesday for a disorderly person at the Tulip Grove Apartment Complex in Hermitage, Tennessee. As the dispatched officer approached the third-story landing, he saw a man, later identified as Selby, arguing with a woman, Kelia Ramos, on the breezeway in front of an apartment. The officer said as he was walking up the stairway from the second floor to the third floor, Selby grabbed Ramos by her waist and start to push her over the railing. Ramos grabbed Selby's arms and stated, "No, No pull me in." Police said Ramos was hanging off the breezeway railing, so the officer pulled out his gun and ordered Selby to pull Ramos back onto the breezeway. Selby complied and was taken into custody. He was booked into the Metro jail on a $100,000 bond. OBLIVION MYTH frontman Ray LeGrand posted a statement to the band's social media pages and official web site on January 2 in which he said: "It is with absolute shock and disbelief that I find myself writing this statement. "About 30 minutes ago my phone started ringing and numerous text messages came to me asking for comment on longtime OBLIVION MYTH guitarist Chris Selby. This was the first I or any other member of the band were made aware of the situation." LeGrand also asked that fans would honor their privacy and stated, "We will likely post an update as we learn more, but honestly, our information is the same as everyone else's right now. Thank God that this situation did not end any worse than it already is. Please pray for all those involved." OBLIVION MYTH founding member and lead guitarist Keith Smith added: “This is very heartbreaking. OBLIVION MYTH has faced challenges before, but none quite like this." When asked about OBLIVION MYTH's previously announced upcoming events, including the "Sanctuary From The Streets" benefit at The Rutledge in Nashville, Tennessee on February 15, LeGrand said: "We will not be canceling any shows. Keith will be covering Chris' parts and we will go on as a four-piece for now." Regarding Selby's status in the group, LeGrand said: "This is not the time. Right now we are focused on what might happen with our brother and on keeping our commitments. OBLIVION MYTH will not stop, but for now, deciding Chris' role in the band is the last thing on our minds." Read more at Loudwire and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports resurrected German death metallers MORGOTH have issued the following update: "Barge To Hell was a great way to end the past year of MORGOTH activities as well as to complete the original plans we had for the 'Cursed' reunion. We also had a lot of time for cocktails and talks on the cruise and discussed how to move forwards with the band in 2013... "While we won't make it as busy of a schedule as the past two years, we decided to remain available for a few casual shows and will have some first dates to announce in the coming days. This way, we will hopefully be able to appear in some places/countries we didn't visit before as part of the reunion or actually ever before. "Thanks again for all your support and stay tuned for more news soon." MORGOTH released its first-ever live album and DVD, "Cursed To Live", on June 25, 2012 via Century Media Records. The audio tracks were mixed at Unisound Studio in Sweden with Dan Swanö (OPETH, KATATONIA, DISSECTION). "Cursed To Live" is the documentation of MORGOTH's ongoing 20th-anniversary celebration of the band's all-time classic album "Cursed" (released by Century Media Records in 1991). It was released on CD, a limited DVD+2CD as well as a limited deluxe 2LP. The live show featured on the album was recorded at the band's triumphant show headlining Way Of Darkness festival 2011, at which MORGOTH performed an extensive set of 15 songs, with the main focus on the songs off "Cursed". The cover artwork — with an intentional nod to the original "Cursed" art — was designed by the renowned artist Dirk Rudolph (RAMMSTEIN, IN EXTREMO, APOCALYPTICA), who had also created the original artwork for "Cursed" 21 years ago.
MORGOTH 2013 is:
Marc Grewe - Vocals
Harry Busse - Guitar
Sebastian Swart - Guitar
Sotirios "Soti" Kelekides - Bass
Marc Reign - Drums
- Blabbermouth reports California death horde GRAVEHILL will support DECEASED on the "March Of The Cadavers 2013 Tour". Before hitting the road, GRAVEHILL will be busy writing and recording the follow-up to 2011's "When All Roads Lead To Hell". The new CD, titled "Death Curse", is expected to be completed at the end of March.
"March Of The Cadavers 2013 Tour" dates:
March 09 - Hooligans - Albuquerque, NM
March 10 - Rocky Point Cantina - Phoenix, AZ
March 11 - Slidebar - Fullerton, CA
March 12 - Los Globos - Los Angeles, CA
March 13 - Elbo Room - San Francisco, CA
March 14 - Burt's Tiki Lounge - Salt Lake City, UT
March 15 - Aqualung - Denver, CO
March 16 - Cheyenne Saloon - Las Vegas, NV (no DECEASED)
"When All Roads Lead To Hell" was released in May 2011 through Dark Descent Records. The vinyl version of the effort was made available in July 2011 through Dark Descent and Chaos Records.
- Blabbermouth reports German metallers CIRCLE OF SILENCE are recording their new album, "The Rise Of Resistance", at Maranis Studios in Backnang, Germany for a late spring release via Massacre Records. Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Eyes Of Anarchy", "Mind Conspiracy", "An Oncoming Storm", "Slave To The Greed Machine", "Blood Of Enemies" and "One Moment Of Hate". Commented the band: "The first impression is that the new [songs] are a bit heavier than the stuff from [2011's] 'The Blackened Halo' and a bit more straight-forward. A lot of double-bass action is going on in those first songs!" The cover artwork for "The Rise Of Resistance" was created by Francisco Garcés (a.k.a. Dibujante Nocturno) and can be seen below.
- Loudwire posts the top 20 songs from Dec. 30, 2012 tp Jan 3, 2013
- Loudwire posts a readers poll of the most anticipated early 2013 rock tours
- Loudwire reports new book details author’s experience as a black woman in the metal community. Read more at Blabbermouth Check out another interview at Blabbermouth
- Ultimate Classic Rock reports Mastodon’s Brent Hinds on Santana’s "Smooth": "like someone taking a carrot peeler and gouging it into your ears"
- Classic Rock reports Cajun muso Dege Legg spices up new Tarantino movie
- Noisecreep posts an interview with Hollywood Undead's Johnny 3 Tears on getting sued all the time, his "Hidden" talents
- Spinner posts a video of Wallflowers' Jakob Dylan explaining "Krumping", sort of
- Rolling Stone posts a flashback The Pixies reunite at Coachella in 2004
- Rolling Stone wants to know what album are you most anticipating in 2013?
- Billboard reports Black Veil Brides explore "New Ground" with Utopian concept album, film
- NME reports Vampire Weekend prepare "darker and grittier" third album. Read more at Rolling Stone
- NME posts a new music video fro "We Know Who U R" by Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds. Read more at Classic Rock
- NME posts Death Grips unveil short film "Come Up And Get Me"
- Blabbermouth posts more behind-the-scenes footage from Sonata Arctica's North American tour
- Blabbermouth posts "The Living Infinite" Disc 1 by Soilwork track-by-track commentary
- Blabbermouth posts the first studio video diary episode from Eden's Curse
- Blabbermouth posts performance footage of Tristania singer performing acoustic covers of Alice In Chains, Deep Purple classics and Engel with new lead singer
Read more quick hits at Spinner