- Blabbermouth reports international film star and musician Johnny Depp jammed with Alice Cooper last night (Saturday, December 8) at the legendary rocker's 12th annual Christmas Pudding at Comerica Theater in Phoenix, Arizona. Johnny joined Alice and his band, along with other performers Sebastian Bach and L.A. GUNS, and special guest host John O'Hurley for a night of music, dance, and mayhem. A review of the concert, included photos, can be found at AZCentral.com. Fan-filmed video footage is available below. Proceeds from Christmas Pudding go to Alice Cooper's Solid Rock — a nonprofit organization founded by Alice Cooper dedicated to enriching the lives of teens through music, dance, and self expression. The primary goal of Alice Cooper's Solid Rock is to honor Jesus Christ by helping to meet the spiritual, economical, physical, and social needs of teenagers and children within their community. Depp previously joined Alice Cooper on stage on November 29 at The Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles for the "Raise The Dead" tribute section of the rocker's show through the end. Cooper's band consists of Ryan Roxie, Orianthi and Tommy Henriksen on guitars, Chuck Garric on bass and Glen Sobel on drums. Check out a picture at Ultimate Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth reports SEPULTURA guitarist Andreas Kisser interviewed Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, OZZY OSBOURNE) for the Brazilian TV program called "Altas Horas". The two also jammed on a cover version of JIMI HENDRIX's "Red House", with Zakk handling lead vocals and splitting guitar solos with Andreas. Kisser's interview and jam with Wylde was taped on Thursday, November 22 and aired on November 25 on TV Globo. Video footage of the interview and jam can be seen below.
- Blabbermouth reports members of LAMB OF GOD, IN FLAMES and SYLOSIS joined tourmates HELLYEAH on stage last night (Saturday, December 8) Kansas City, Missouri to pay tribute to late PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott who was shot and killed by a deranged "fan" while performing in Columbus, Ohio eight years earlier. Fan-filmed footage of the event can be seen below. Vocalist Randy Blythe of tour headliners LAMB OF GOD commented via his Instagram account: "Tonight's show in Kansas City was an emotional one for us on this tour, especially the HELLYEAH guys. Eight years ago (December 8, 2004) a crazy man jumped onstage and killed Darrell 'Dimebag' Abbott in front of two members of HELLYEAH, one of which, of course, is his brother Vinnie Paul. This night changed EVERYTHING for those of us in metal bands — something had been taken away from us, and it wasn't just Dime. It was our care-free sorta attitude; this sort of thing just didn't happen in OUR SCENE. "But it did, and we are all the worse for it. Things have changed, but we still are out here. Vinnie and Bobzilla are still out here rocking their balls off — they have my utmost respect for that. I don't know if I would step foot on a stage again after witnessing and going through what they did. But they are musicians — plus Dime woulda wanted it that way; you can bet your ass on that. "The other day, Vinnie came to me and said, Hey, man, can we have a few extra moments in Kansas City to have a drink in memory of Dime?' Are you kidding me? OF COURSE. So tonight, the whole damn tour, every member of every band, got up on that stage and had a drink in his honor. It felt like family to me, in those best moments of tour when you all are there together, doing this incredible thing, as a FAMILY. "I wish Dime coulda been there in person with us. But it's like I said tonight onstage — a mad man's bullet can take this mortal shell, but TRUE LEGENDS NEVER DIE. We keep them alive, all of us, when we come together band & audience and do this thing we all love so much. "RIP, Dime. See ya on the other side, bro!" Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports SAXON frontman Biff Byford has been confirmed as one of the guest musicians who will appear on "The Mystery Of Time", the new album from EDGUY frontman Tobias Sammet's AVANTASIA project. Also scheduled to make appearances on the CD are former KISS guitarist Bruce Kulick and drummer Russell Gilbrook of URIAH HEEP. A short video from a studio in Brighton, England where Tobias recently worked on the recordings for the new AVANTASIA album with Biff can be seen below. Bruce previously appeared on AVANTASIA's "The Wicked Symphony" and "Angel Of Babylon" CDs and Tobias contributed guest vocals to Bruce's last solo release, "BK3". The new AVANTASIA CD is being recorded in part at VOX Klangstudio in Bendestorf, Germany with producer Sascha Paeth (KAMELOT, EDGUY, EPICA, RHAPSODY). Immediately after the release of "The Mystery Of Time", a metal opera based on a story written by Sammet, the band will embark on a full-fledged indoor tour, during which the band and special guests will bring the epic undertaking to the stage. Since the performances will embrace all the different eras and history of AVANTASIA, these shows will feature an extended playing time and the entire evening will be dedicated to AVANTASIA with no support acts. Tobias originally wanted to put AVANTASIA to rest after the release of the "The Flying Opera - Around The World In 20 Days" concert DVD in April 2011, but he has since had a change of heart. He explains, "Even though I love to record and tour with EDGUY, I didn't foresee how much I need AVANTASIA when I decided to finish this chapter of my life in 2011. I didn't know if there would be another AVANTASIA album one day, but I didn‘t feel like doing it. After the worldwide success of the latest studio releases, an arena world tour that was sold out pretty much everywhere, collaborations with childhood heroes like Alice Cooper, Klaus Meine, Rudolf Schenker, Eric Singer of KISS, etc. I 'knew' that I had said everything I could possibly say in the name of AVANTASIA. But that's not what AVANTASIA is all about. I wanna create more great music, I wanna create more fantasy worlds, the bigger and the more epic, the better. And listening to the material that I have created for this forthcoming chapter in the history of AVANTASIA, I know there is no way I am not going to do it! I have got the feeling and the certainty that this is absolutely meant to happen and to be!"
- Blabbermouth reports long-running Gothenburg, Sweden-based metallers DESTINY have announced the addition of drummer Roger Christiansson to the group's ranks. According to the band, Roger "is a passionate drummer, singer and multi-instrumentalist. He is also a composer both of music and lyrics. So far he has recorded and performed with bands like SOLID, RAMPAGE, ATTRAPP, SOUTHERN COMFORT BAND, FREAK STATION, GRINGOS and OVERNIGHT SENSATION. As an old HiFi enthusiast and with a keen interest to improve sound quality, he has plans to move into sound engineering. Roger and Stefan Björnshög [bass] have been friends for more than 25 years but this is actually the first time that they will play together. On a personnel level, Roger was the obvious choice and after just one rehearsal it was also quite clear that he will be the prefect drummer for DESTINY!" DESTINY recently recruited DRAGONLAND vocalist Jonas Heidgert. Jonas has already begun to lay down vocals for DESTONY's upcoming anniversary album, "The Incompatibility Of Philosophical Terminology", for a spring release, as well as the next official full-length CD, "Global Warming", for which everything but the vocals has already recorded. Fans will get their first taste of DESTINY with Jonas on vocals later this monthwhen a digital single from "The Incompatibility Of Philosophical Terminology" is released. Way back in 1982, bassist Stefan Björnshög founded one of Sweden's first true heavy metal bands, DESTINY. Unlike most other Swedish acts that were active around the same period, DESTINY never broke up. In 2005, DESTINY was joined by guitarist Michael Åberg, who previously played with NOSTRADAMEUS. Following a tour opening for former BLACK SABBATH vocalist Tony Martin in 2006, DESTINY kept an unusually low profile, partly because the band was unable to find a suitable vocalist and also because of illness and various personal tragedies.
- Blabbermouth reports CRYSTAL VIPER frontwoman Marta Gabriel joined death metal legends VADER on stage this past Thursday, December 6 at 2Doors Club in Sosnowiec, Poland to perform the JUDAS PRIEST classic "Metal Gods". A couple of photos of the collaboration, including the pre-show rehearsal, can be seen here. VADER is currently headlining the "Back To Black Tour" of Poland and Czech Republic during which the band is performing the "Black To The Blind" and "Sothis" albums in their entirety. In January and February 2013, VADER will embark on a European headlining tour with support from ABORTED and BONDED BY BLOOD. CRYSTAL VIPER's new album, "Crimen Excepta", was released in April via AFM Records. The concept effort about holy inquisition, black magic and witches, where fiction is mixed with historical facts, was produced by Bart Gabriel (SACRED STEEL, JACK STARR'S BURNING STARR). "Crimen Excepta" features two special guests: David Bower, vocalist of HELL, appears in the title track, while VADER mainman Piotr "Peter" Wiwczarek can be heard in the cover version of the classic VADER song "Tyrani Piekiel", which is available as the bonus track on the first, limited edition of the album.
- Blabbermouth reports MELIAH RAGE founding guitarist/songwriter Anthony Nichols has teamed up with one of Boston's most illustrious indie front men, THE BAGS vocalist/ bassist Jon Hardy, to form a unique and edgy new project called MEXICAN APE-LORD. Nichols and Hardy were actually acquaintances prior to working together — both hailing from the same suburban Boston town of Lexington, Massachusetts. MELIAH RAGE was signed to Epic Records in 1988 and has continued to release new music to this day — compiling a library of nine records since their inception. The band has embarked on multiple international tours, including stops at The Comcast Center and House of Blues in Boston as well as B.B. King Blues Club & Grill and The Ritz in New York City. THE BAGS were a hard rock/punk rock band that gained traction in the Boston scene. The band's debut album, entitled "Rock Starve", was released in 1987 and received critical acclaim. THE BAGS began touring in 1988, releasing an album under the alias of "Swamp Oaf" and later releasing an actual self-titled LP. Their next album, "Night Of The Corn People", came in 1991, followed by a release in 2003 entitled "Sharpen Your Sticks", which featured a track ("Cavemen Rejoice") that landed on the PlayStation 2 game, Guitar Hero. In 2007, THE BAGS released a 14-track opus, "Mount Rockmore". "Though we each have had our own thing going over the years, I've always had Jon's voice in the back of my head — I always liked his style and creative sensibilities," Nichols stated. "I have long thought that Jon would be a great vocalist/lyricist for the way I write music," added Nichols, who enlisted drummer Steve Fry and guitarist Dan Dykes to complete the project. The new material will feature the riff-based style that Nichols established with MELIAH RAGE. MEXICAN APE-LORD will highlight Hardy's completely fresh approach to lyrics and voice — and both Fry and Dykes bring great skill and energy to the project. The band's as-yet-untitled debut will be released in the spring of 2013 and will certainly be on the radar of MELIAH RAGE fans.
- Blabbermouth reports Norwegian hard rockers AVENTYR have inked a deal with Mighty Music. The band's debut album, "Driven", will be released on January 28, 2013. The CD was recorded between January and August 2012 in the band's hometown of Førde and was mixed by Beau Hill (ALICE COOPER, EUROPE, WINGER). In 2011 AVENTYR released the EP "Trouble" (also mixed by Beau Hill) via the U.K. label Casket Music. The EP received good reviews both at home and abroad, with one magazine describing the band as a mixture of HELLACOPTERS and BACKYARD BABIES. This led, among other things, to a five-year publishing agreement with American Michael Davenport of Expressive Artists, a full-service music supervision and management company.
"Driven" track listing:
06. Crazy Roads
09. Empty Bottles
- Blabbermouth reports Pavement Entertainment Inc. has signed the post-hardcore band THE PERSEVERING PROMISE to a three-album deal. The group will enter the studio in early 2013 to begin recording its new CD, to be distributed through MRI/RED in North America and SPV in Europe. THE PERSEVERING PROMISE has opened the ears and pulled on the heartstrings of fans and critics throughout the Pacific Northwest and the western United States with its debut EP, "Fake Is Not A Pretty Color". The dynamic anthems of THE PERSEVERING PROMISE are comprised of strong, honest vocals, ranging from vibrant hooks to solid gang chants, monstrous guitar riffs and technical, animalistic, powerhouse drumming. Commented Pavement Music President Mark Nawara: "We've been looking for the right band that has the passion and the talent to break-out of the scene and I think these guys have what it takes. They have been touring the country non-stop without any label support and their fan base is growing strong. We are excited to be working with them." Added THE PERSEVERING PROMISE guitarist/vocalist Jesse Bartonz: "We've signed with Pavement Entertainment and we couldn't be more happy. We have been working our whole lives for this moment and we are excited to show the world what we have to offer. To Pavement and to our wonderful fans, thank you and this is only just the beginning!"
THE PERSEVERING PROMISE is:
Matt Hoos - Guitar/Vocals
Jesse Barton - Guitar/Vocals
Chase Williams - Drums
Hampton Amos - Bass/Backup Vocals
Phil Keon - Guitar
- Blabbermouth reports Lithuanian progressive black/death metal act UVIKRA has signed with badGod Music. Founded in September 2009, UVIKRA is a one-man black/death metal project hailing from Vilnius. The single and singular member (Loikav) has created an unorthodox sound. While brutal and grisly in its rawness, this sound is tempered with a subtle progressive element. Unnaturally glottal vocals add to the unworldly feel while lamenting the futility of earthly existence. UVIKRA has three releases to its credit. The first was the self-titled full-length released September 23, 2010. An EP, "Patterns Of Life", was released April 9, 2011. Both of these releases are available for free download on UVIKRA's Bandcamp site. UVIKRA's most recent material, gathered together in the form of the full-length "Bi", was originally released November 15, 2011. Currently available as a digital download on both the UVIKRA and badGod Music Bandcamp pages, it will see a proper physical release in early 2013.
- Loudwire reports Avenged Sevenfold to join Iron Maiden and Metallica at Rock in Rio 2013
- Blabbermouth posts a new holiday song from Theocracy
- Blabbermouth posts new music from Vomitile
- Blabbermouth posts performance footage of Jack Russell acoustic in Ohio and Sodom in Mexico City