Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl was the guest host on Thursday night's (December 6th) edition of Chelsea Lately on the E! network. Filling in for host Chelsea Handler, Grohl was a natural in front of the camera, at ease with the audience, the guest panel and interview subject Ray Romano. Grohl has also been a guest on the show himself in the past. Could a late-night TV gig be his when he finally decides to get out of the rock 'n' roll biz? (Loudwire) Read more at Rolling Stone
- Saturday (December 8th) is the eighth anniversary of the death of Pantera and Damageplan guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, who was shot down by a disturbed gunman during a 2004 show by the latter band in Columbus, Ohio. ArtistDirect asked several artists to reflect on Abbott's memory, with Staind guitarist Mike Mushok calling him a "beautiful person" and Five Finger Death Punch's Ivan Moody saying, "I don't think there will ever be a band that compares to Pantera . . . what Dimebag did as a player (was) incredible." Read the entire article at http://tinyurl.com/audmvjw (ArtistDirect.com) Read more at Blabbermouth
- French modern rock act Phoenix have completed work on the follow-up to their 2009 commercial breakthrough, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. The new disc, which was recorded in Paris, is the band's fifth and should tentatively arrive in April. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix earned the group a Grammy and yielded the hits "Lisztomania" and the chart-topping "1901." (Rolling Stone)
- Paramore's fourth album will arrive on April 9th. The self-titled set will be the band's first since founding members Josh and Zac Farro controversially left the group in late 2010. A track called "Now" will be issued as the first single from the disc. In a post at their website, the band members said, "The whole making of this album was a rediscovering of ourselves as a band and as friends. It was a process that allowed us the freedom to explore new territory artistically and to liberate ourselves as musicians, singers, as people." (Rolling Stone)
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Dave Grohl's guest appearance on Chelsea Lately from last year:
- Blabbermouth reports fan-filmed video footage of Vince Neil taking a closed-fist, rage-fueled swing at a front row concert-goer during the MÖTLEY CRÜE singer's December 1 solo show at Inn Of The Mountain Gods Resort & Casino in Mescalero, New Mexico can be seen below. According to TMZ.com, "Neil had just started performing 'Kickstart My Heart' when the fan did something that pissed him off. Vince stopped the song and started yelling at the guy to 'get the fuck outta here!' When the guy started getting mouthy back at Neil, the singer reached back and tried to punch the dude in the kisser ... but the guy ducked ... and Neil totally whiffed. Didn't faze Neil though — security rushed in and escorted the trouble-maker out of the show ... and Vince got right back into the song like nothing ever happened." Neil was videotaped in August screaming at a group of Miracle Mile Shops parking attendants in Las Vegas after a valet refused to return the singer's Rolls-Royce because Neil couldn't produce a claim ticket. Vince failed three field sobriety tests and had a blood-alcohol level almost three times the legal limit during his June 27, 2010 Las Vegas arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol. The singer in April 2011 completed all of the requirements of his sentence stemming from his DUI case. The sentence ordered him to serve 15 days of jail time, 15 days of house arrest, pay a $585 fine, attend DUI school and attend a victim-impact panel online. Read more at Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock, Classic Rock and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports California rockers BUCKCHERRY will release "Gluttony", the first single from their forthcoming sixth studio album, "Confessions", on December 11 via iTunes. The track is now available for streaming at TheRockStation99x.com. As previously reported, BUCKCHERRY will join KID ROCK as special guests on the upcoming "Rebel Soul" tour beginning February 2 in Kansas City, Missouri. "Confessions" will be BUCKCHERRY's first domestic release with new label Century Media Records. The CD is due in early 2013 on Century Media in the United States and via Eleven Seven Music in other parts of the world. "Confessions" is an album based on the seven deadly sins, and is part of a larger vision that includes a film written by Josh Todd, who based the album's lyrics on his childhood and transformation into adulthood. Asked about the reports that "Confessions" is a "concept" album, Nelson told PopCultureMadness.com, "Basically, it kind of started off as a concept record and then evolved away from that, so I wouldn't really call it a concept record right now. But it definitely has a theme to the record. And the record, it evolved into Josh writing a screenplay, basically, loosely based on some events of his life. So the story of the record goes with the film and the film goes with the record and they really work together. It tells a story." He added, "The whole idea was to, basically, make the record stand alone on its own and the film stand alone on its own, but they could both come together and work really well together. And same thing with the songs — there isn't anything on the record that is so weird that you wouldn't understand it unless you saw the movie. So the record really needs to stand on its own, like every other record we've made." Todd told an Oklahoma radio station about the "Confessions" screenplay, "It's based around the seven sins and true events that happened in my life as well, when I was younger." Todd, however, shot down the idea of playing the lead role in the film, although he did say that the band will appear somewhere in it. He added, "I think (the film is) gonna be a real treat for people who love this band and people who are just discovering BUCKCHERRY for the first time." As for "Confessions", Todd said that the new disc is "definitely a heavier, musically, record than we've ever had, and more melodic. It's pretty intense, but everybody's gonna love it. It's quintessential BUCKCHERRY at the end of the day." Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports Michael Posner, Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor, has issued an official response to the petition that was created by a LAMB OF GOD fan from Brandenburg, Kentucky in an online forum on the White House web site for the government to help the band's frontman, Randy Blythe, who is facing manslaughter charges in the Czech Republic. (A petition needs 25,000 signatures in 30 days to get attention; the Blythe petition had 29,000 signatures, 4,000 more than necessary.) Posner's full statement reads as follows: "We appreciate your inquiry about the case of D. Randall Blythe, who was released from detention in the Czech Republic on August 3, 2012, and returned to the United States shortly thereafter. Mr. Blythe has publicly stated his intention to return to the Czech Republic to face trial for the alleged manslaughter of a Czech man at a concert in 2010. He recently told MTV, 'It's the correct thing for me to do ... this poor young man's family deserves some answers.' Pending Mr. Blythe's trial, we cannot discuss the details of his case. We are closely monitoring the progress of his trial. "The Department Of State noted in its 2011 Human Rights Report that in the Czech Republic, 'The laws provide for the right to a fair trial, and the independent judiciary generally enforced this right.' We expect that the Czech government will make all efforts to ensure a fair, transparent, and timely trial for Mr. Blythe, and guarantee full protection of his legal rights under Czech law and his welfare. "If you would like to know more about what the Department of State does for U.S. citizens overseas, please visit our website at Travel.State.Gov. General information on U.S. human rights policy is available at HumanRights.gov." A Czech state attorney filed criminal charges against Blythe on November 30 related to the death of a fan in Prague two years ago, the attorney's office spokeswoman Štepánka Zenklová told the Czech News Agency (CTK). The Prague City Court has three months to set the trial date or return the case to the police and state attorney for further investigation. Blythe is facing the possibility of conviction and a long-term jail sentence after a 2010 incident in which a fan attending a LAMB OF GOD show died almost a month later, allegedly from injuries sustained when he was thrown off the stage. Blythe's predicament has galvanized the heavy rock community, with artists across the hard rock genre pledging their support. Shortly after being released from the Pankrác prison in Prague in early August, Blythe sat down with Mark Holmberg of WTVR-TV — the CBS television affiliate based in Richmond, Virginia — to discuss his 37-day stay at the notorious Czech Republic penitentiary (see video below). Asked about his vow to go back to Prague if there is a trial, Randy said, "I feel ethically responsible to go back there and face this charge. [The victim's] family right now is in a lot of pain, and they deserve some answers. To lose a child is the worst possible thing a human can go through, I think .. I want my name cleared. I have to go around the world and tour, you know. That's what I do. I'm not going to hide here. I'm an innocent man. I'm going to go to court and see what happens." Regarding what the "worst-case scenario" is if he returns to Prague for a trial, Blythe told Metal Hammer magazine, "Ten years with no time off for good behavior. For my particular charge — we're saying manslaughter, but it's assault in the fourth degree with intent, resulting in the death of this young man — the sentence for that is five to 10 years with no time off. So the worst-case scenario is that get out when I'm 51, 52 years old. It's not something I really try to dwell on too much, because it's scary. I don't want to go to prison, I don't want that to happen, but the fact of the matter is it could happen. I will deal with it as it comes, that's all! can do. If you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future, you're pissing on the present. And right now, all! have is the present so I prepare myself the best I can. My band is behind me and my family's behind me and we're gonna do our best to prove my innocence. But worrying about a nebulous uncertain future, or being super-bummed out that l went to prison for 37 days does me no good." LAMB OF GOD's manager, Larry Mazer, confirmed in a statement earlier this week that Blythe will defend himself in the case. "We believe that Randy responded professionally to the numerous amount of fans rushing the stage that day, a number of them captured on videos that have been posted on the internet," Mazersaid. "We have testimony from the venue operator that acknowledges lax security and an improper barricade being used that evening. Numerous testimonies from fans also were contradictory as to the actions of the multiple fans that tried to access the stage." Read more at Loudwire, Classic Rock and Rolling Stone
- Blabbermouth reports a four-minute "Hits Entretenimento" TV report on KISS' November 14 concert in Porto Alegre, Brazil can be seen below. "Monster", the 20th studio album from KISS, sold 56,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 3 on The Billboard 200 chart. KISS' previous CD, "Sonic Boom", opened with 108,000 units back in October 2009 to enter the chart at No. 2. This marked the band's highest-charting LP ever. KISS has notched nine Top 10 albums, according to Billboard.com. Its previous highest-charting set was 1998's "Psycho Circus", which debuted and peaked at No. 3 with 110,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The group's other high-charting sets include 1975's "Alive!" (No. 9), 1977's "Love Gun" (No. 4) and 1992's "Revenge" (No. 6).
- Blabbermouth reports former METALLICA, VOIVOD and FLOTSAM AND JETSAM bassist Jason Newsted has posted the following message on his Facebook page: "I want y'all to know that I am ultra-proud of my time in [METALLICA]... I am thankful for the wonderful experiences of our 15 years together and I will always be open to jammin' with the boys... I am very happy in my life now! I have a new band that bears my own name, we're just finishing our first record, I'm feeling strong again playing bass and singing lead vocals and you all wiil be hearing it in one month's time!!!! New year, new band, new life!! Bless you all and I can't wait to share my music with everyone!! I'm entrusting all of my friends to help me get the word out!!! Jason's back!" In a recent interview with Eddie Trunk's "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM, Newsted stated about his plans to release original music via his newly launched official web site, NewstedHeavyMetal.com, "It'll be called Newsted Heavy Metal Music. Whatever it ends up being — if it's five songs, 20 songs, 50 songs… I don't even know what the heck I'm gonna do. I have so much music from over the years. I have a bunch of new stuff, I have so many mixes of projects with people — new players, young players, old-school players like myself — so I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I wanna unleash on everybody first. That's kind of what it's coming down to — the timing of things and how I wanna hit people with it, and which stuff [to release first]." Asked how he plans to release his music, Jason said, "I see a couple of the old avenues still being there that will always be there in the purest form — making the vinyl and everybody having the special-edition vinyl to be able to read the lyrics, stuff like you and I loved the most, that's the closest to us that's the most endearing and the most personal. So that's always gonna be there and I never wanna dismiss that, so that will be percentage of it for the fans that really dig the real American kick-ass guitar music … And then the newest avenues that I'm just really now learning about as I expose myself to all this stuff… I saw a piece of one of ['That Metal Show' espisodes on VH1 Classic] and somebody talked about DOWN and some other bands doing four tracks at a time in EP form every few months, letting people have some fresh metal. I think that's a pretty good concept, a pretty good formula — I'm hip to that, [and] I'd like to warm up to that. Since it is new territory for me, I'm really open to that idea; I think it's a good way to spread stuff." Newsted married his longtime girlfriend Nicole Leigh Smith in October. In his acceptance speech at METALLICA's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction in April 2009, Jason thanked Nicole — whom he referred to as "the love of my life" — for "standing by me through the last seven years of challenges and adventures." Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports guitarist John Petrucci of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER has spoken out about the band's decision to re-sign with Roadrunner Records. The group first joined forces with Roadrunner in January 2007 and has so far released three critically acclaimed albums with the label. Roadrunner first issued DREAM THEATER's ninth studio album, "Systematic Chaos", in 2007 and went on to release "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" in 2009 as well as their most recent album, "A Dramatic Turn Of Events", in September 2011. The band will soon begin recording a new album as part of the new agreement with Roadrunner. Speaking to Metal Insider, Petrucci said: "We've been with Roadrunner for about five years spanning the life of the three records we've done with them, and it's been amazing. They're a great record company, we love all the people there, they get DREAM THEATER, and they're truly on board with what we're all about. Having said that, when we heard there were some changes, especially some big ones, of course we were concerned. It's fairly common in the music industry, and we've experienced it before. We were on Warner since our original contract with Atco, and that deal, which we signed when we were really young, was for eight albums, which is insane. The label changed so many times, it was Atco, it was Atco/EastWest, it was Elektra, and there were constantly changes in personnel. There were presidents leaving, key people in A&R leaving. So we were concerned with it. It was really a matter of asking the right questions, and speaking to everybody there. Some of the key people aren't there any more, like Monte [Conner, Sr. VP of A&R] who I worked with so closely and become friends with over the years, that was a very upsetting change. And the recent change with Jonas [Nachsin] leaving, those are big changes. At the same time, there are people that are still there that are equally as big a part of our career. The idea that those people were staying and were still going to be a part of this was incredibly reassuring. We've also had a bit of a good experience with this kind of change that I wasn't even aware of. When similar changes happened a few years ago and the offices in Japan merged, I didn't realize that a lot of those people had merged into the Warner office, and our experience in Japan last time was incredible. So fortunately, I didn't notice anything that was a problem. Another big concern for us was Europe and the U.K., where we have a very big market presence. So the idea of those offices closing and not working with those people was very shocking to us. But it was a matter of speaking to Roadrunner and talking about the new arrangement between them and Warner. And we felt really good about it. We felt like re-signing and continuing to build off of the history. Doing three albums together means three tours, means a lot of promotion, and a lot of working together. So we felt like it was definitely the right move." Asked if there were other labels sniffing around, Petrucci said, "Yeah. There were other offers that we were considering, but we definitely felt strongest about Roadrunner and building on the relationships and the history. With the people that are there, and what we've done together, and how they know how we operate and how we know they operate, there's a lot to be said for that. When the label understands the band, and the band understands the label, there's a bond. Every band's unique, and every band has a different kind of audience. We're definitely not your average band as far as the music we play and the audience we appeal to. It's hard to get people that understand that. Since that relationship was strengthened and developed over three albums, continuing made so much sense." Read more from Metal Insider.
- Blabbermouth reports Cleopatra Records is sad to pass on the news that HAWKWIND guitarist Huw Lloyd-Langton has passed at the too-young age of 61. Huw had been bravely battling cancer for the past several years and died peacefully at home in England with his devoted wife Marion by his side. A self-taught guitarist with mind-bending scope and range, Llloyd-Langton joined HAWKWIND in 1970 and immediately made his mark by contributing his unique guitar stylings on the band's groundbreaking self-titled debut album. The album is considered historic in that it was one of the first space-rock albums to be released. Shortly thereafter, Huw left the band to embark on his own musical journey but he continued to be an integral part of the HAWKWIND sound as both the occasional band member and frequent collaborator with his HAWKWIND mates on numerous occasions as the years unfolded. He was on-board for the albums "Live Seventy Nine", "Levitation", "Sonic Attack", "Church Of Hawkwind", "Choose Your Masques", "The Chronicle Of The Black Sword", "The Xenon Codex" and this year's "Onward". Huw also toured with Leo Sayer in the 1970s and was a founding member of the acclaimed U.K. hard rock band WIDOWMAKER, which released two well-received albums in 1976 and '77. He was adept at playing all styles of music — from hard rock to classical to blues — performing in the various genres with seamless ease and jaw-dropping talent. In a statement, founding HAWKWIND bandmate Nik Turner said, "He was a lovely guy and a great, great guitarist. I'm really sad that he's gone. Everybody who knew Huw liked him; he touched a great many people with his playing. I will miss him." Huw was and will always be a much-loved member of the Cleopatra Records family. He had been a significant part of a number of Cleopatra projects including working with KINKS legend Dave Davies on a track for THE BLACK KEYS tribute album "Black on Blues", and with Joe Elliott, Rick Wakeman and Carmine Appice on "Who Are You", an all-star tribute to THE WHO. His innovative guitar work was featured on the "Space Rock Invasion" DVD taken from the 2011 "Space Rock Invasion" tour on which Huw participated, as he opened to critical applause for NEKTAR and BRAINTICKET. Cleopatra is preparing to release Huw's "Rare & Unreleased" anthology in January, which will now be an amazing posthumous tribute to his work including never-before-heard solo acoustic recordings of songs later recorded by HAWKWIND along with tracks from Huw's solo band. Read more at Loudwire, Classic Rock, Noisecreep and Rolling Stone
- Blabbermouth reports German industrial metallers RAMMSTEIN have released the official video for one of the new versions of the song "Mein Herz Brennt", from the band's 2001 release, "Mutter". The track will appear on "Videos 1995-2012", which is due on January 15, 2013 on standard DVD and Blu-ray. The collection includes the legendary band's complete music video catalog along with two new videos for the song "Mein Herz Brennt". The set contains over seven hours of material featuring 25 music videos, 24 behind-the-scenes clips of the making-of-the-videos and a 56-page booklet. Available on three DVDs or two Blu-rays, the collection will be released through the band's marketing and distrubiton deal with Density Records in the U.S. "Mein Herz Brennt" will see new versions of the song released on December 11, 2012 as a six-track digital single with booklet — available exlusively through iTunes. The single package also inludes the previously unreleased track "Gib Mir Deine Augen". Fans can also purchase the two new videos via iTunes — one on December 11 and the other on December 18. RAMMSTEIN released "Made In Germany", their greatest hits album, last December and the Berlin-based six-piece have been performing extensively around the world. RAMMSTEIN keep up the pace in 2013 with several European festivals already confirmed. Read more at Loudwire and Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth reports SIN CITY SINNERS — which features Todd Kerns (SLASH, AGE OF ELECTRIC), Brent Muscat (FASTER PUSSYCAT), Rob Cournoyer (RAGING SLAB) and Zach Throne (THE HEIGHTS) — will film scenes for the official video for the song "We Three Kings" on Sunday, December 9 at Kiss By Monster Mini Golf, the rock and roll-themed amusement attraction based around the band KISS, in Las Vegas, Nevada. SIN CITY SINNERS manager Jason Green states, "We want [fans] to be in [the video]! We're looking for all kinds of wild and crazy people, so dress to impress and you might wind up in our video. Kiss By Monster Mini Golf is located at 4503 Paradise Road. Please arrive by 5 p.m." "We Three Kings" comes off SIN CITY SINNERS' third album, "A Sinners' Christmas", which came out last year. The CD features guest appearances by Frank Dimino (ANGEL), Jizzy Pearl (L.A. GUNS, RATT, LOVE/HATE), George Lynch (DOKKEN, LYNCH MOB, SOULS OF WE), Slim Jim Phantom (HEADCAT, THE STRAY CATS), Louie Merlino (BEGGARS & THIEVES), Jimmy Crespo (AEROSMITH), Pete Loran (TRIXTER), Ron Keel (KEEL) and Sammy Serious (THE ZEROS). It was recorded, mixed and mastered at Hit Track Studios in Las Vegas and produced by Brent Muscat and Tom Parham, and executive-produced by Jason Green.
"A Sinners' Christmas" track listing:
01. We Three Kings (feat. George Lynch & Todd Kerns)
02. Winter Wonderland (feat. Frank Dimino of Angel)
03. Run Rudolph Run (feat. Brent Muscat)
04. Rocking Around The Christmas Tree (feat. Todd Kerns)
05. O Holy Night (feat. Jizzy Pearl)
06. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (feat. Louie Merlino)
07. Jingle Bell Rock (feat. Slim Jim Phantom, Michael Ellis)
08. Silent Night (feat. Ron Keel)
09. I'll Be Home For Christmas (feat. Pete Loran)
10. We Wish You A Sinners Christmas (feat. Todd Kerns, Louie Merlino)
A video for the song "Rocking Around The Christmas Tree" can be seen below. A portion of "A Sinners' Christmas" sales will go to the Toys For Tots Las Vegas chapter, which donates toys to children whose parents cannot afford to buy them gifts for Christmas. In 2010, SIN CITY SINNERS released two CDs of original music, "Exile on Fremont Street" and the all-acoustic "Broken Record". The SINNERS' music video, "Goin' To Vegas", received the 32nd annual Telly Award and the track "Numb" was nominated for an AVN award for "Best Original Song".
- Blabbermouth reports WITHIN TEMPTATION's cover version of "Skyfall", ADELE's official theme song to the James Bond film of the same name, can be streamed in the YouTube clip below. WITHIN TEMPTATON has been revealing a unique cover every week on Q-Music in anticipation of the Dutch symphonic metal band's 15th-anniversary concert, which took place on November 13 at Sportpaleis in Antwerp, Belgium. The group stated, "We figured this would be a great occasion to do something special for [the fans]. It will be a musical adventure as we are covering songs that are very close to us but also songs that are not close to us at all."
The following tracks have already been released:
* Paradise (COLDPLAY)
* Grenade (BRUNO MARS)
* Crazy (GNARLS BARKLEY)
* Somebody That I Used To Know (GOTYE)
* Dirty Dancer (ENRIQUE IGLESIAS)
* Behind Blue Eyes (THE WHO)
* Summertime Sadness (LANA DEL REY)
* Apologize (ONE REPUBLIC)
* Don't You Worry Child (SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA)
* Little Lion Man (MUMFORD & SONS)
* Skyfall (ADELE)
* Radioactive (IMAGINE DRAGONS)
WITHIN TEMPTATION's fifth studio album, "The Unforgiving", sold around 12,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 50 on The Billboard 200 chart. Released on March 29, 2011 the CD was produced by Daniel Gibson and is based on a comic book story written by script writer Steven O'Connell (BloodRayne, Dark 48). The band asked comic artist Romano Molenaar (Witchblade, Darkness, X-Men) to draw the characters and scenery of "The Unforgiving", which was made available via Sony Music in Continental Europe and Roadrunner Records in the U.S., U.K. and Ireland, Japan and Australia. WITHIN TEMPTATION guitarist Robert Westerholt last year announced that he would step down from touring duties in order to focus on taking care of the three children he has with the band's lead singer, Sharon den Adel. His replacement on stage is Stefan Helleblad, who has been working with the band behind the scenes for a few years.
"Skyfall" (WITHIN TEMPTATION version):
"Skyfall" audio stream (ADELE's original version):
- Blabbermouth reports Tuomas Holopainen, keyboardist and main songwriter of the Finnish symphonic metal band NIGHTWISH, has issued the following update: "It was back in 1999, during the 'Oceanborn' tour, that I remember first having the idea of writing a 'soundtrack' to my all-time favorite piece of Disney comic, 'The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck', by Don Rosa, the apparent heir of the almighty Carl Barks. This book has had such an overwhelming effect on me throughout these years, and finally I have the means and the time to make that dream a reality. "It all started with a story called 'Last Sled To Dawson', which was published in a Finnish Donald Duck magazine in the late '80s. It instantly became one of my favorite Scrooge/Donald stories and also introduced Mr. Don Rosa to my Disney universe. This story is not part of the actual 'Life And Times' opus, though, but 'a companion story,' set in between the chapters #8 and #9. Then when the massive 12-chapter piece was released in mid-'90s, I was completely and utterly hooked. It was similar to reading 'The Lord Of The Rings' as an 8-year-old, or seeing 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' for the first time. Adventure, fun and the strangely familiar feeling of home. "With Scrooge, there was also a much deeper level hidden between the stories and the gags. "This is a book about life itself. What an unfathomable privilege it is, what are the things that truly matter during our existence. It's about the immense beauty of the world and its possibilities seen through the eyes of a very relentless, honest and complex character. It's about love and family, gain and loss, darkness and rebirth. "And on top of that, well, it's just your good old-fashioned storytelling fun! "I have been twiddling around with certain themes for some months now and have an idea for five songs, but I will start working on this project 24/7 after the Australian leg of the tour, in February 2013. The demo recordings are scheduled for May 2013, just before the festival season starts and we're off with NIGHTWISH again. The actual recordings then start in August-September and should be finished by the end of the year, making a release during the first half of 2014 a possibility. "Mr. Pip Williams has agreed to do the orchestral and choral arrangements and we will use pretty much the same London session musicians as we did on 'Imaginaerum'. Troy Donockley will bring Scrooge's Scottish origins to life with his pipes and whistles, and there will also be a few more guest musicians and singers involved. "This journey is very, very dear and personal to me and I'm honored to have Mr. Rosa's approval on the project. It'll be a beautiful storytime, once again!"
- Blabbermouth reports Columbus, Ohio metallers LEGION have inked a worldwide deal with eOne/Good Fight Music. The band's new album will be released in the spring. Commented LEGION guitarist Alex Heiberger: "Over the last year and a half or so, we have been hard at work writing and looking for the perfect label to help us release our new material. When we were told that eOne/Good Fight was interested in us, we could not have been more stoked. There are so many bands on the label that have influenced us since the beginning and it is an honor to now be a part of a great label." LEGION is currently gearing up for the End Of The World Tour as the support act for JOB FOR A COWBOY. Gaining exposure through their own DIY touring and performances at the New England Metal And Hardcore Festival, LEGION has come a long way in a short amount of time. The video for "Perverse Icon" has offered YouTube users a glimpse at just what LEGION is capable of achieving on stage. Tracks like "Disclosure Of Sin" and "Righteous Dictation" are emblematic of LEGION's skillful precision when it comes to balancing aggressive metallic destruction with trippy groove.
Michael Guilford (vocals)
Chris Dragics (guitar)
Alex Heiberger (guitar)
Mason Prince (bass)
Jake Rodriguez (drums)
- Blabbermouth reports GENERATION KILL, the band featuring EXODUS frontman Rob Dukes, is back in the studio working on its second full-length album. The group is in talks with producer Chris "Zeuss" Harris (SUICIDE SILENCE, ALL THAT REMAINS, SHADOWS FALL, SOULFLY) to produce the CD and promises two things with this album — it will be different and it will be heavy. Regarding the musical direction of the new effort, Rob Moschetti (bass) and Jason Velez (lead guitar) explained that they basically wanted to "stick to the direction of there is no direction, we want to be artists, people forget that music is art and we want to deliver something that makes people think and want to go back and listen again and again." GENERATION KILL's new CD is due in 2013 via Season Of Mist. Zeuss "has a guiding hand in all the songs the band has written" for the upcoming CD so far, according to Dukes. GENERATION KILL's debut album, "Red White And Blood", was released in September 2011. The CD was recorded at J. Rod Production Studios in New City, New York (where the vocal tracks for EXODUS' "Let There Be Blood" and OVERKILL's "Ironbound" were previously laid down).
GENERATION KILL is:
Rob Dukes - Vocals
Rob Moschetti - Bass/Backing Vocals
Jason Trenczer - Lead Guitar
Jason Velez - Lead Guitar
James DeMaria - Drums
- Blabbermouth reports on the heels of the fall release of their acclaimed comeback CD, "Wheels of Impermanence", Canadian progressive metallists HEAVEN'S CRY will reissue their first two albums, "Food For Thought Substitute" and "Primal Power Addiction", on January 8, 2013. The LPs — which are now available for pre-order separately or as a specially-priced bundle — have been newly remixed by Yannick St-Amand (DESPISED ICON, BENEATH THE MASSACRE, KATAKLYSM) and remastered by Jens Bogren (OPETH, KATATONIA, SYMPHONY X) and feature revamped artwork. "I'm having a blast listening to our music the way we imagined it back then," says vocalist/guitarist Pierre St-Jean. "Our music has multiple layers where guitars and bass play different parts to create textures, and since our music is less riff-oriented than what most rock and metal bands do, it's important to hear every detail, every instrument clearly. That is now possible, thanks to Yannick and Jens." Guitarist Eric Jarrin (ex-DESPISED ICON) adds: "I'm so grateful that Prosthetic Records agreed to re-release our first two albums. We worked very hard writing those tunes but unfortunately, we did not have the resources at the time to make it sound the way we wanted it to. Having the opportunity to revisit these albums and give them a new polish, it finally feels like justice has been done to these songs. You know, in the making of a progressive album, every detail is important. Our goal has always been to make sure that the music and the lyrical content are coherent, and that every instrument plays its role in the process. Now that they have been remixed properly, you can hear the music we wrote in its entirety." After taking a seven-year hiatus, HEAVEN'S CRY recently released its third album, "Wheels Of Impermanence", which Blistering.com labeled as "power metal majesty." The band headlined the ProgPower Europe festival in the Netherlands in October and is scheduled to take part in the ProgPower USA festival in 2013.
- Blabbermouth reports Norwegian rock band AUDREY HORNE will release its fourth studio album, "Youngblood", via Napalm Records on the following dates:
Norway: January 25, 2013
Sweden, Finland, Espania: January 30, 2013
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux: February 1, 2013
Rest Of Europe: February 4, 2013
USA, Canada: February 5, 2013
According to a press release, "Youngblood" follows in "the ancient tradition of honest and true handmade music, a fresh enthusiasm and new energetic sound. 'Redemption Blues', 'Youngblood' or 'Show And Tell' not only live up to the numerous AUDREY HORNE classics, but turn into irresistible tunes with catchy refrains right from the start that will stay with you for a long time." AUDREY HORNE will present "Youngblood" live on stage with live shows in Oslo (with STONE SOUR on December 18 and with BLACK DEBBATH on January 25). In March 2013, AUDREY HORNE will play Germany and Prague, Czech Republic with LONG DISTANCE CALLING and SÓLSTAFIR. AUDREY HORNE was formed in 2002, taking its name from Sherilyn Fenn's character in the cult TV series "Twin Peaks". Although some of the band's members play or have previously played in black metal bands like ENSLAVED and GORGOROTH, AUDREY HORNE's music is far removed from the black metal genre, and can be described as heavy and melodic hard rock, similar to bands like FAITH NO MORE, ALICE IN CHAINS and A PERFECT CIRCLE.
- Blabbermouth reports Ottawa, Ontario, Canada's deathcore thrashers CHARIOTS OF THE GODS will release their new full-length album, "Tides Of War", on January 29, 2013. Produced by award-winning producer/engineer/mixer Glen Robinson, who has worked with RAMONES, AC/DC, GWAR, ANNIHILATOR and VOIVOD, the CD delivers 14 epic, crushing tracks to follow up their well received 2010 debut EP, "Reverence", which the band promoted by performing extensively in Quebec and Ontario, sharing the stage with such bands as MISFITS, VOIVOD, DESPISED ICON, KATAKLYSM and MISERY INDEX. "We can't begin to describe how proud we are to finally share our musical creations with the world. So much has gone into it and we were lucky enough to work with incredible people such as our producer Glen Robinson and Aleksi Sihvonen (NORTHER)," comments vocalist Renaud Jobin. "Our sweat and manly tears gave this full-length album a more authentic and mature sound that will hopefully, rip your face off and leave you breathless."
"Tides Of War" track listing:
02. Seventh Weapon
03. Blind Assassin
04. Ambrosian Wings
05. Tides of War
06. Revillusion (1905)
07. Snow Falls On The White River (1914)
08. Severing The Bloodline (1917)
09. Collapse of An Empire
10. Red Skies
13. Unbound (feat. Aleksi Sihvonen)
14. Annihilation of The Gods
- Blabbermouth reports Finnish metal marauders FINNTROLL have entered Sonic Pump Studios in Helsinki to start recording their sixth album. The as-yet-untitled follow-up to 2010's "Nifelvind" will be released worldwide through Century Media Records in late March 2013. In regards to this new album, the band comments on their studio blog: "Combining our trademark sound with even more influences from non- traditional genres in metal music, we have created 11 songs which show you everything we want to offer. And boy, wasn't that one of the hardest tasks for some time. After all, how do you keep your sound fresh, yet familiar, after 6 albums and 15 years? "At some point, we were afraid that the songs are not melodic enough. Then we started to fear they became too melodic. Then we let the songs rest for a while and molded them more in a way that the non-melodic stuff got something to hum with, and the cheesy pop songs were arranged more stripped and aggressive. We were confident, yet sometimes scared what will people think of the stuff we've been doing so hard. What if they hate it? That would be fine, but if they would hate it because the material was uninspiring, boring and done-to-death, that would be a huge disappointment. So, we kept pushing and tried to keep it fresh all the time, while still having the 'this has to be FINNTROLL because no other band sounds this insane' — grinning going on." If you haven't heard FINNTROLL before, let Trollhorn (the guy who rarely plays live with the rest of the band) explain: "FINNTROLL is a Finnish metal band, existing since 1997. We have released...ummm, six albums, I guess [it's actually only 5 albums and 2 EPs so far] and despite of dead members, internal quarrels and constant mischief, we still somehow manage to pull it off. Our musical style is a tint of black and death metal combined with Scandinavian and European folk music, spiced with a dose of ska, cartoon-esque-circus-music and whatnot. We also boast occasional Latin music, Psychobilly and Klezmer influences, so it's kinda hard to explain, really. We are pretty much labeled as 'folk metal' from the wider perspective, but we've never quite felt like belonging there per se. Basically, we don't even really care and nor should you." Fan-filmed video footage of Finnish metal marauders FINNTROLL performing a brand new song during their November 3 concert in Giessen, Germany as part of this year's Heidenfest tour can be seen below. FINNTROLL last year released a special tour edition of their latest album, "Nifelvind". The digipak tour edition came with new artwork by the band's guitarist, Skrymer, and an extra CD including three brand-new cover versions: "Insects" (OINGO BOINGO), "Can You Forgive Her?" (PET SHOP BOYS) and "The God That Failed" (METALLICA). The cover versions were recorded and mixed at Sonic Pump Studios between June 27, 2011 and July 4, 2011 by FINNTROLL and Nino Laurenne.
"Nifelvind" was released in North America on March 9, 2010 via Century Media Records.
- Blabbermouth reports WJCU 88.7 FM and Auburn Records will host the fourth annual Iron Ingo Cleveland Metal Holiday Food Drive, a benefit concert for the Cleveland Foodbank, Friends Of The Cleveland Kennel and Lake Humane Society on Saturday, December 8 at The Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland, Ohio. Bands scheduled to perform include SOULLESS ("In Death's Grip" CD-release show), HOSTILE OMISH, BREAKER (with SHOK PARIS guitarist Ken Erb), IRON MESSIAH (featuring Siki Spacek from BLACK DEATH), WRETCH, AT NO END, DEADIRON and JULIA ROBERTS' GLOBAL WARNING, plus special guests The Red Hot Heathens burlesque group. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. The show begins at 6:30 p.m. Admission is free. Fans attending the concert are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items or cash donations to help those in need this holiday season. A donation will be made from the Cleveland metal community to the Cleveland Foodbank, Friends Of The Cleveland Kennel and the Lake Humane Society. "Our goal is to top last year's record breaking donation totals of 2,159 lbs. of food and $872.76 in cash," says event organizer Bill Peters (Auburn Records, WJCU). "Heavy metal fans are the most generous in the world when it comes to supporting good causes. They never cease to amaze me. Every year our donation totals keep increasing significantly. We want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Working together we are making a positive difference by giving back to our community." Cleveland Foodbank President and CEO Anne Goodman, who has been a big supporter of the event, says "it wouldn't be the holidays without Bill's concert!" "Cash is our most needed item this holiday season," adds Cleveland Foodbank Food & Funds Coordinator Caroline Weir. "For every dollar donated to the Cleveland Foodbank, we can help provide four nutritious meals to those in need." The Cleveland Foodbank supplies a majority of the food used in local hot meal sites, shelters, and food pantries. In addition, they provide food to child care centers, group homes, and programs for the elderly. The Foodbank works closely with other Northeast Ohio hunger relief organizations, providing food and nonfood products to hunger centers administered by the Hunger Network Of Greater Cleveland, the Catholic Hunger And Shelter Network, and the Salvation Army, among others. The Friends Of The City Of Cleveland Kennel is a group of volunteers dedicated to providing the necessary medical and general care for the animals at the Cleveland Kennel in the hopes of giving them a second chance at a good life. Their mission is to provide the necessary medical and general care to the homeless, neglected & abused dogs and cats who arrive at the Kennel and to raise awareness in the community by providing resources and education to Cleveland residents. The Lake Humane Society has been dedicated to the welfare and protection of animals since 1937. Operating as a private, non-profit organization in Lake County, Ohio and the surrounding metropolitan areas, they are focused on the relief of suffering and the prevention of cruelty and abuse to animals. They also strive to inform and educate children and adults in the humane and respectful treatment of all living creatures. The food drive is named in honor of Germany's Iron Ingo Stührenberg. Ingo, a writer for the popular German underground heavy metal webzine Metal Rules, has adopted Cleveland as his second home. He has traveled to Cleveland from his home in Wiesmoor, Germany, at his own expense, to host two previous successful food drive events. He will be unable to attend this year. Dave Overkill (DESTRUCTOR) and Aurora Sans (The Red Hot Heathens) will fill in as MCs for the evening. "Now it's already our fourth food drive event," says Ingo. "Time really flies but not for everyone. There are a lot of people without a home, a warm bed or a daily meal. The upcoming cold wintertime is even more worse to go through so please make a difference again and donate for people in need and also for our friends on four paws. It's not on you that the world is what it is, but it's on you if it stays that way. To help others live gives meaning to your own life. Give a little bit to help a lot! In union we stand!"
- Loudwire posts the top 20 songs of Dec 2 - Dec 8
- Loudwire reports Motorhead’s Lemmy Kilmister transformed into a "Mr. Potato Head"
- Classic Rock posts a seasonal music video from the Dropkick Murphys
- Noisecreep posts the video premiere of Aviyn Escape the Killer "Merry Go Round"
- Noisecreep reports where are they now: Chris Kontos of Machine Head
- Spinner posts the 50 best albums of 2012
- Rolling Stone reports surreal Kurt Cobain tribute staged at art basel
- Blabbermouth posts video of the third track-by-track of "Ride The Void" by Holy Grail
- Blabbermouth posts photos from Sister Sin's "Hearts Of Cold" video shoot
Read more at Classic Rock and Noisecreep